Forum Member

Default New here, looking for advice and want to be apart of the community.

Hi, it's a pleasure to finally post here- I'm a recent history grad, soldier and an aspiring firefighter. I joined because this seemed like the biggest firefighter community, and I've come to pick your brains about getting into an academy and progressing along the right path.

Firefighting is something I've wanted to do for a long time now, and I'm almost to the point where I can move in that direction.

Wonderful to meet you all.

E.M.S. is a great start to open up many more doors to departments for yourself. Paramedics are highly sought after followed by EMT's. Have you volunteered or did a ride-a-long program just to be sure the fire service is for you. "Warning" the fire service is agressively making EMS a major component in nearly every dept. across the country.

Forum Member

Hi I am new here... but been part of a Fire deparment for about 4 years and I am finally a Fire fighter 2 in the state of iowa. I am now going to for my Paramedic degree!! A fire chief in the next town told me that its great to have both EMT and Fire fighter degree because they go hand in hand.. you dont see a fire call without at least one emt

Forum Member

I'm glad I plan on getting my EMT certification next fall, then. I keep hearing different sources either saying "you don't need it, the fire academy takes care of that" or "you need it to even be considered for the fire academy."

Thanks for the information!

Forum Member

Look into what veteran benefits the departments you're interested in offer. It may be worth spending four years serving, and then waltzing into a job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urban0627 View Post
    I'm glad I plan on getting my EMT certification next fall, then. I keep hearing different sources either saying "you don't need it, the fire academy takes care of that" or "you need it to even be considered for the fire academy."

Thanks for the information!
    It really depends on the Department. My Department runs the ALS transport service in town, and we REQUIRE a NREMT-B (or higher) license befpre taking the written exam. Most departments will not require it before testing, but almost all will desire it, and being one step ahead of the guy that interviews after you is a BIG step in the right direction.

Thread Information