Thread: Calls

Forum Member

Talking Calls

I remember when I first got on the fire department we got paged out for a fire and comm center told us the guy was bring the fire to the fire station! I just couldn't believe that! When we got to the station the guy actaully had the fire at the station. It was a trailer full straw bales.

What are some of the funniest thing that has happened to you guys!!

Forum Member

I once was responding to a grass fire and came across a burning pickup truck on the highway. The driver of the pickup was sure glad to see me! A Sheriff's Deputy that responded went out to the grass fire site and found out it was nothing major. I stayed at the pickup fire scene and extinguished it.

Forum Member

I have heard lots of cool/ funny calls from people around this area, but love hearing story from other department.. sometimes all you can think is what the **** on a call.. i have a few of those

Forum Member

More than once have had rekindled vehicle fires "delivered" to a fire station. Once, went out for a barn fire, only to find that the caller had seen the yellowish glow of a full moon coming up over the barn and thought it was on fire. That made the AP wireservice.

Forum Member

My Dad(who is also a FF) and I came across an MVA once just outside of our district. A Tractor-Trailer ran a Stop sign coming off of a gravel road and hit a minivan with a mother and her children in it. Here is the strange part, when the truck hit the van the door popped open and the driver fell out of the vehicle. The truck was still in gear and running so it just took off, went through the ditch and out through a field, ended up about a mile away where it finally died after running through someones garage. The good news was that no one died. The truck driver had a serious leg injury that she fully recovered from. The Mom and kids were all properly belted and restrained and walked away pretty much unscathed, one of the kids had a little laceration above the eye. One of the craziest situations I've ever been in.

Forum Member

We had a guy ring the doorbell to the station once, (my paid dept.) and asked us if he could borrow a bucket. We asked him "what for?", and he said, "My truck out front is on fire." Luckily for him it was just a small fire around the carb so we just used a water can to put it out.

Forum Member

I had a fire like that.. but the old guy thought his tree was on fire and it was only the street light.... and it all happened at 3 AM and he said he saw the smoke...

Forum Member

My first call a couple of years back, paged out to a house fire (0darkhundred in the rain) and when we got there, the rain put it out. That's how hard it was raining.

Forum Member

We are getting a lot of people looking at this thread, Lets hear anything.. any calls. I enjoy reading and hearing and I know I am not the only one!

MembersZone Subscriber

Several years ago there were some significant forest fires burning in Quebec. Weather systems pushed the smoke down into northern and central NY.

Sodium street lights and the undeniable smell of smoke combined for several "smoke/glow in the area" calls, even though dispatch was fully aware of what had happened.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well..........

We've had several Fires delivered to the Fire House over the years....... By Train. What is now Amtrak's Northeast Corridor Mainline runs right beside our old Firehouse, and the Train Crews knew it, so from time to time they would bring us a Fire or Medical Emergency.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Forum Member

thats way tooo funny

Forum Member

Default Fires

Try responding to a fire in a ladder truck and be on the freeway when my wiring under my dash blows up and catches fire. Kind of helpless throwing D5 bags of saline and pump cans at it. The worse part was the rubberneckers who were cackling as they drove by.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Vol
    Forum Member

lol i like this thread
    We had a call Saturday at 0230 male pt chest pain. Pt requested no lights no siren. He met us on the street(interesting) anyways on the way to the ER i was talking with this gentleman and ask him if he would like someone to get ahold of his wife (small town department evryone knows everyone). he said no she is sleeping, (ok interesting) i ask "well don't you think she would like to know where you are when she wakes up" PT said well i left her a note!!! (really a note)

Forum Member

I could see that happening in our town or in this area..

I know I started because some of the fire fighter out there go throw and see more then what I do and its a good way just to sit back and laugh and let stress from the job go!!

Forum Member

Just remembered one that was related to me. During the blizzard of '78, my rural dept. got a call of a person having a heart attack. The had a person who volunteered the use of a dozer to clear the road. The VFD, the man with a dozer (on a lowboy) and the medic from town, went as far as they could on the road. When it got to deep, they unloaded the dozer and it led the rest of the way. The finally got to the house where the caller was and she met them at the door. She excitedly said "My brothers having a heart attack! He's down at Riverside hospital, I've got to get down there! Riverside is only about 20 miles away in the next county. They ended up taking her from what I heard, but I don't think I would have been as near as nice.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And............

Just remembered this one.........

Got a call one day at busy intersection about a mile from the station. Initial report was a "Trolley Car" on Fire. Problem with that was that there are no Trolley Car Tracks within 20 miles of here. We get there and find a Trolley Car on Fire..... Big Suprise, Got a quick knock, minor damage to a Historical Trolley Car on a Lowboy Trailer that was being transported to a Museum....... This place never ceases to amaze me......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

everyone has something that still stops them and thinks WHAT... the thing the best about the calls.. are after everything is done.. i love being around my guys and the guys from the next time.. the laughs and everything its amazing I would do anything for my guys!!

Please keep telling your sharing!

Forum Member

First call I went on as a junior, a reported brush fire behind some beach condos. We get there and its someone lighting a BBQ. Turns out the neighbor was a paranoid old lady. When dispatch asked the captain what was going on, he replied someone was having a BBQ, and he might stay for lunch.

About a year ago on a day were the winds were pushing 50 we were on the way to a grass fire with the brush truck for mutual aid for our neighboring department on the way there we picked up three smaller grass fires before finally arriving and helping at the one we were originally called to. It was kind of like a maze going back and forth across the sections and none of these calls were linked.

Forum Member

We were dispatched to a private alarm at a 6 story hotel that is adjacent to I-75. While on the way, dispatch advised that the alarm monitoring company had called again to confirm a fire on the roof so I add the companies to upgrade from a private alarm to a structure fire response. First arriving companies report nothing showing, ladder company is raising aerial to the roof as I go inside. Staff points up to a third floor utility room visible through the atrium that extended from ground floor to roof. They tell me that an electrician is working there, and dust created as he drilled a hole in a concrete block wall activated a nearby smoke detector. I ask, "what about the fire on the roof?" and get blank, confused looks. Ladder company finds nothing on the roof. Other companies confirm the activated detector where the electrician is working.
    As I'm driving away, I'm wondering how it's going for the district officer who was expecting a detector activation due to dust from construction work and found the fire on the roof.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Dispatched for a car-pedestrian - minivan hit an inebriated individual in the middle of the road with the mirror.

We get to the scene, about 1/2 mile outside the hamlet, no pedestrian. We start searching the ditches. No sign. On a lark, I kept walking down the road, beyond the 'main' search area. Just happened to shine my flashlight across the road and saw the victim running through a field. We didn't have a lot of handhelds then, and I didn't have one at all, so I yelled for help. I also lost sight of the victim.

Others arrived and we started looking where I'd last seen him. No sign. The bulk of the party moved through a hedgerow and started looking for him on the other side. I stayed about where I'd seen him and shortly heard a moan. Found him in the middle of the brush, laying on the ground.

He was lucky I'd spotted him. While he might have slept off his jag and gone home really sore in the morning, he might also have suffered the consequences of exposure overnight and been found by the coyotes (the four-pawed variety). Yep, we've got 'em in NY.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I remember my guys telling me about a call before i was on the department.. They got called out about 2 am for dead guy in the ditch.. so they went out and no one could find a heart rate and we are a small fire department soo have nothing to hook up at the time.. so they cover him with a blanket and sitting around talking and then they look back to find the guy walking away...lol.. well come to find out the guy was sooo drunk they didnt know how he was alive..

Forum Member

We had a drive in once, too. Call was for a car fire AT our station. We got there and here sits this big ol boat of a car smoking away on the apron- with the passenger still sitting in it!!!!

Turns out he tossed a butt out the window, and it blew back in landing on the back deck. They started smelling smoke a couple of minutes later. So the old guy tells his wife to drive to the firehouse and call us from the emergency phone there. (all volly) She gets out and calls us, he waits in the f#%&ing car! Now, the rear deck is smoldering away, and the trunk is smoking like crazy- and it simply never occurs to this guy to get out... They also parked right in front of the bay doors...

We also have a large gravel pit in town, that has a busy asphault plant in it. One night we got a call for a fire in the area. Turns out it was steam from the asphault combined with the orange sodium vapor lights. These lights are on every night... The guys at the gravel pit were rather surprised when we came rolling in all lit up.

I've also been in class at the fire academy doing a live burn, and had the local dept's tones go off- for a fire at the training academy. Just to the north is an elevated stretch of expressway, apparently they get these calls all the time. Funniest part was that dept had 3 or 4 guys in this class, and we all were wondering if they'd get credit for responding to the call.
    Last edited by Nozzle nut 22; 03-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Thread Information