Forum Member

Default How long did it take for you to get hired to a department?

As I have been trying to get hired by a local fire department I have heard many Firefighters say that it took them 2+ years to get hired. How long did it take you to get hired?

Forum Member

Almost 4yrs, several certs later and still not career here! Times are tough... I am getting closer with time! Here in Indiana most ppl try 3-5yrs before they get hired, at least the ones I know and talk to.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Took me about 2.5 years to get hired. That being said, we've had people hired the first time they applied, whereas others have taken four years.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I started applying when I was 19 and got hired at 21. So about 2 years, I traveled 2,200 miles to take the job where I am at now. I firmly believe you have to travel to where the jobs are, or wait until the market gets better. The job market is very tough where I came from (pacific northwest), it is a lot more open where I am now (new mexico).

It takes time, but don't give up it will be worth it.
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

I've been at it for about 3.5 years. Didn't catch on to the must travel to jobs part until about a year ago though. I know it'll be worth it so I'm not giving up!

Forum Member

2 years exactly. There already are existing threads of this subject. The best advice I can give is to focus making yourself a desirable candidate. Everyone is different and if you constantly ponder thoughts like this one "I barely made the cut and they hired that db?" you will go crazy. Be patient.
    Last edited by KCFF84; 03-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Member

1 year after I started applying. Took me a year and half to get my Fire Science degree so 2.5 years total.

Forum Member

I took my first test in 2008. Kinda put it on the back burner for a few years, went to school, worked random jobs, etc... Seriously tested for about a year and a half or so. Finally got hired at the end of 2011. I had to move out of state to get my job but its been worth it.

Forum Member

18 tests in 18 months.

Forum Member

"""trying to get hired by a local fire department """"

are you just applying at one department??? if so you may never get hired

apply often and widely

Forum Member

I have been testing for 3 years now and am on 5 lists for hiring. The thing you have to do is take a shotgun type approach. Take as many tests as possible and wherever you can. I have taken 30 tests since i have started the testing process and last year i had 6 interviews before last year i only had 1 interview in 2 years. Once you start to hit your targets by getting interviews, then its another phase of the process, becoming good at Fire interviews. Once you start to get ahold of your interview scores you will be able to see where you can improve. My recommendation is that you start interview practice now buy Capt. Bob's gold package and Chief Lapore's Smoke your firefighter interview. Take what you can from both and start to practice as much as you can.

Forum Member

2.5 years and tested with 6 different departments in 5 states

Forum Member

got an offer out of the first test i took but then they canceled the class because of budget reasons. Took me about 2 years total(right out of high school) to get hired.

Forum Member

10 months, after applying to my department. It took so long because the department was dragging its feet with the hiring process honestly. Make sure you apply to many different departments in places you would be interested living. You have to increase your chances by applying to as many departments as possible. Good luck!

Forum Member

Oh, and have something that helps qualify you above other candidates. For me it was having a 4 year degree but getting your National EMT ratings would be a great start.

Forum Member

Hi Guys-

It took me four and a half...If i'd known what I know now...It would likely have taken me about two. Comments regarding testing are about spot on. The rule is test early, test often, and test everywhere you have any inkling that you might like to work.

Its a little controversial, but i'd say that "having the degree" is awesome, but is more of a "nice to have" even today. (I had one when I got hired but it had very little to do with why I got hired.) Don't ever wait until you have a degree to test for departments in earnest. Remember...You're applying for an entry level position.

The number one reason a candidate gets hired in my experience is:

They have mastered the testing process.

They're scoring 90 or above on their written exams, doing well in their physical agility exams of course, and then CRUSHING the oral boards...

Two things:
    1. If testing doesn't start to feel like a second full time job...You might not be testing enough.
    2. If you're not "getting over the hump", then you're not scoring well enough in your oral boards.

Best of Luck AND Preparation,

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

I agree with Paul.. I have my Fire degree and it hasn't proven to help.. yet.. Only good thing in my mind that came from that degree is all the Certs I now have. Even though I am not hired yet, testing has became a second job! I am starting to get in the top 10 just this year! and that is after 15 test at least... This last year I started doing my oral interviews for the first time.. didn't do so hot in the begining but my last couple I have done GREAT! Keep your head up, work hard and you'll get what you deserve! Thats my what I beileve! Good luck to all still trying to reach our dreams! and be safe!

David

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David5351 View Post
    Even though I am not hired yet, testing has became a second job!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    If testing doesn't start to feel like a second full time job...You might not be testing enough.
    Completely agree 100%. I keep joking with my wife about what I'm gonna do with all my free time once I get on because of all the time I spend prepping, driving to tests, practicing, etc.

Degrees and certs are dependent on the dept. Most around me couldn't care less if you have a associates or bachelors or what certs you have, but I've heard of others saying they did. It just depends on where you are testing.

Keep at it!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Ha, Yj! I went absolutely crazy my first two months of 4-days because of this! I'd been testing like a fiend, then was focused like an insane man in the academy morning until about 10-11 at night, of course working like crazy everyday I was at the station after academy, but when the four days hit...I was like a lost soul. It was "What in the helllllllll am I gonna do now?" by about 1pm the first day of the four day...
    My wife (girlfriend at the time) was like...Honey, you need a hobby...by day three.

Cracking UP!

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

As of today. I can officially say 5 years and about 25 test.

KTF
    Forum Member

A little over two years, my last year was taking every test within 300 miles. Testing was my 2nd job like the others on here. It's worth the time and work keep at it

Forum Member

5 years 15 tests. Keep plugging away..

Forum Member

1yr 5 months for my first career dept. I was there 5 years. Relocated to Michigan when I got married, and made it on my current career dept. in 1 yr and 8 months. Test everywhere and often is my advice.

Forum Member

Is it harder today to get hired, than it was say, 2 yrs ago? How about 5-10 yrs ago?

Forum Member

Yes
    More people looking for jobs that may have normally not considered firefighting.
    Less positions due to economic enviroment for many cities.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$ smaller budgets

Thread Information