Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

not sure how it is in some of your states, but like slackjawed said, call on your state forest service for assistance, bear in mind that they may have extended response times (we tend to be located in remote areas or not evenly distributed) you might also want to talk with them (Forestry) and see what they can offer you, through the rural fire assistance grants: surplus military vehicles, pumps, tanks, hose, wildland PPE, hand tools, and many other sort of federal excess, as well as training
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Ok, I don't know how to say this without sounding like the arrogant western wildland firefighter, so understand I don't mean to be an ***, but I'm probably going to come across as one.

Oh, you are a arrogant *** because all you can see is your little half acre of the universe and hpw YOU do things. I am talking about an URBAN FIRE DEPARTMENT. Generally when we have a "Wildland" fire we are talking about a small fire usually no more than 50 feet across. I am not talking about thousands upon thousands of acres of brush burning.

Really, you suggesting because that is all you have it is the right piece of equipment?

YES, I am suggesting that. Because what would you have us do? Buy a brush truck for the perhaps one or two brush fires a year that 1 or 2 - 2 1/2 gallon extinguishers won't handle?

If ladder trucks had a useful place on the wildland fire ground, don't you think you would see them in So Cal? It's not like all those big city and county departments with a major wildland problem don't have access to lots of them.

Now climb down off your high horse and pay attention this time okay? We are an URBAN fire department, we do not have thousands of acres of wildland that we burn down year after year after year. We have small patches of park or undeveloped land that may occasionally have a fire. We use our engines and ladders quite successfully because it is what we have. I never said we ever used a deck gun or ladder pipe on a brush fire. What I said was I could see where in OUR circumstances that may very well be a viable option for a larger fire.

Lots of departments respond to brush fires in structural turn out gear, they make do with what they have and it even works most of the time if the fires are small, but it still doesn't make it a good idea.

Relevance to the topic? Because if you are suggesting that we outlay the money for wildland gear, um, sorry not a chance.

The bumper turrets are something else, that is being done to get firefighters inside the truck during mobile attack. Way to many have been killed over the years by riding the bumper, or on top of the rig. They really are not very effective from a water management point of view but it is a much better option than putting a firefighter in an old tractor seat bolted to the hood of a brush truck. Of course the elephant in the room is the physical fitness level of many departments that feel putting a firefighter on top of the rig is appropriate.

Golly, both of my POC FDs put guys INSIDE the cab operating hoselines. I haven't see anyone ride on the back of a brush rig here in years.
    The problem with only seeing things that happen in your world is you miss a lot of what goes on in the rest of the world.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Well not sure who is looking at just their 1/2 acre, but I'm done here. I didn't come for a fight which you seem to want.

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Well not sure who is looking at just their 1/2 acre, but I'm done here. I didn't come for a fight which you seem to want.
    You don't want a fight but you have twice told me, despite my explaining my circumstances, that what we do is wrong. Show me where I said what YOU do in YOUR circumstances is wrong?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

firedup - how do you put guys inside the cab operating hoselines? Are you pulling a red (reel)line inside the cab? I have seen several near misses and one injury doing that.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    firedup - how do you put guys inside the cab operating hoselines? Are you pulling a red (reel)line inside the cab? I have seen several near misses and one injury doing that.
    3/4 inch garden hose with a bubble cup nozzle. The reels are located right behind the cab. We do this in open fields with nothing to snag on like trees or fences. If there is snag items the guys get out and walk with the line.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    3/4 inch garden hose with a bubble cup nozzle. The reels are located right behind the cab. We do this in open fields with nothing to snag on like trees or fences. If there is snag items the guys get out and walk with the line.
    Similiar setup to what my previous VFD had on it's old military 1/2 ton brush truck. Also had a sprayer system on the front bumper. Damn thing couldn't do a lick over 40 mph on the highway but get it off the road and the thing was a beast that never got stuck.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJake72 View Post
    not sure how it is in some of your states, but like slackjawed said, call on your state forest service for assistance, bear in mind that they may have extended response times (we tend to be located in remote areas or not evenly distributed) you might also want to talk with them (Forestry) and see what they can offer you, through the rural fire assistance grants: surplus military vehicles, pumps, tanks, hose, wildland PPE, hand tools, and many other sort of federal excess, as well as training

Unfortunatly our state forest system has very limited resourcwes - plows and a spotter plane or two with no handcrews or ground assistance worth mentioning. We are lucky that the plows come out of a facility in our fire district so when they are not tied up on other fires (which is way too common now as a result of budget cuts) the response is pretty quick.

From what i understand it's not uncommon for a 1 1/2-hour wait in other parts of the state that are more remote from thier facilities.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Unfortunatly our state forest system has very limited resourcwes - plows and a spotter plane or two with no handcrews or ground assistance worth mentioning. We are lucky that the plows come out of a facility in our fire district so when they are not tied up on other fires (which is way too common now as a result of budget cuts) the response is pretty quick.

From what i understand it's not uncommon for a 1 1/2-hour wait in other parts of the state that are more remote from thier facilities.
    All the more reason to send the properly trained and equipped resources , size it up, know your fuel types, know your area and take advantage of natural breaks. Some times pouring as much water ,as fast as you can on a wildfire is not always the best choice. Also know your local resources, ive seen a 1953 Ford 8N but out more fire than a $400,000 engine.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Where exactly in Arkansas are you ? I'm over here in southern Logan County south of Fort Smith. This summer has been horrible for us. Were getting called out alsmot every day sometimes several times a day. We also have a Arsonist in our area thats not helping things any.
    My depts rolls a brush truck ( 21/2 ton 6X6 military with 750 gallons water with foam and 150 gpm high pressure pump) and a 2,000 tanker. We have auto matic aid with 2 other fire departments so we also get 2 more pick up truck brush trucks with 200 gallons another dues CAFS unit, another 2,000 tanker and one pumper. ( pumper relays and fills brush trucks from tankers. ) We run this for every fire. It's so dry some places have not had any rain in over 6 weeks and day time humidity can be as low as 13%.
    Our Arkansas forestry D4 dozer is called on 90% of the fires right now and we have had US forstry on many fires along with tanker planes and a blackhawk.
    As said above city style pumpers wont do much. I would contact rural departments in your area to see what they can do and what equipment that have to help you. We have travels as far as 25 miles to help other departments out. We are in an extreme fire situation so were having to take extreme precautions. Let me know if i can help you in any way.

Grass/brush fires suck.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information