1. #51
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    We finally drank the kool-aid and switched to Pierce this last purchase (Please insert amazment and condesending comments given my previous rants about Pierce) . We bought 2-pumpers with the following specs with delivery around mid-August:

    Impel chassis with BARRIER DOORS (Ha)
    Cummins ISL9 450hp with Jacobs Brake
    Allison EVS-3000 5-speed automatic
    5-Position David Clark intercom system
    Hale 2000gpm single-stage pumps
    Hale manual MIV's
    Husky Foam system (Class "B" drafting)
    750gwt
    40 gallons Class "A" (to all pre-connects and deck gun)
    Front bumper 2-1/2" discharge
    3-Crosslays
    1-2-1/2" pre-connect
    1000" of 5" LDH with Storz
    600' of 6" LDH with Storz
    Aluminum body with hydraulic ladder rack
    Elkhart remote control deck gun
    3-pull-out trays
    Swing out tool board
    Vertical tool boards
    8-Shelves
    2-110V outlets in 2-compartments
    Custom plastic fabrication for tool mounting, radio holders, etc.
    All LED compartment, hose bed, under body and crosslay lighting
    Whelen LED floodlights (6-PFP-2 and 2-PFP-1)
    200' 12V cord reel (no generator)

    Cost was $527,024.00 each thru HGAC and with 100% pre-payment discount factored in

    Be safe
    Will you be adding a portable generator for lighting or just use the vehicles 12 volt scene lights or brow lights?

  2. #52
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default

    No generator. Original spec had Harrison PTO generators but after seeing the LED floodlighting technology we eliminated the Wil-Burt light towers. This left the generator only to power the cord reel. At pre- build Pierce electrical engineers ran the load tests and said we could go with a 200' cord reel powered off the chassis. This cord reel will power a Whelen 6 amp LED portable floodlight which meets our needs.

    The 2-110V outlets will be powered by the shoreline to power 1-portable suction charger and 1-DeWalt battery charger.

    Be safe.
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  3. #53
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    We finally drank the kool-aid and switched to Pierce this last purchase (Please insert amazment and condesending comments given my previous rants about Pierce) . We bought 2-pumpers with the following specs with delivery around mid-August:

    Impel chassis with BARRIER DOORS (Ha)
    Cummins ISL9 450hp with Jacobs Brake
    Allison EVS-3000 5-speed automatic
    5-Position David Clark intercom system
    Hale 2000gpm single-stage pumps
    Hale manual MIV's
    Husky Foam system (Class "B" drafting)
    750gwt
    40 gallons Class "A" (to all pre-connects and deck gun)
    Front bumper 2-1/2" discharge
    3-Crosslays
    1-2-1/2" pre-connect
    1000" of 5" LDH with Storz
    600' of 6" LDH with Storz
    Aluminum body with hydraulic ladder rack
    Elkhart remote control deck gun
    3-pull-out trays
    Swing out tool board
    Vertical tool boards
    8-Shelves
    2-110V outlets in 2-compartments
    Custom plastic fabrication for tool mounting, radio holders, etc.
    All LED compartment, hose bed, under body and crosslay lighting
    Whelen LED floodlights (6-PFP-2 and 2-PFP-1)
    200' 12V cord reel (no generator)

    Cost was $527,024.00 each thru HGAC and with 100% pre-payment discount factored in

    Be safe
    Sounds like nice engines...Ok, but not great price.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  4. #54
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    No generator. Original spec had Harrison PTO generators but after seeing the LED floodlighting technology we eliminated the Wil-Burt light towers. This left the generator only to power the cord reel. At pre- build Pierce electrical engineers ran the load tests and said we could go with a 200' cord reel powered off the chassis. This cord reel will power a Whelen 6 amp LED portable floodlight which meets our needs.

    The 2-110V outlets will be powered by the shoreline to power 1-portable suction charger and 1-DeWalt battery charger.

    Be safe.
    Along the same lines-we are specifying the LED scene lights in place of the generator run lights. We are leaving space above the pump house to mount a portable generator we already have to run the Circle-D lights on the interior. No breaker box or wiring to the rig, plug in direct to the generator as needed.

    They will also have the 110v to shore power in our EMS compartment, and plenty of 12v power ports in the cab.

  5. #55
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Good point forgot....our apparatus committee went a little overboard on 12V plugs in the cab also. To power Tablets, cell phone chargers, etc.

    Come on Bones....not a good price? I was actually impressed they came in where they did. Now of course there is another $200K in loose equipment being bought, but for the rigs themselves I felt Pierce was fair with the pricing and at the end of the day, worked with the apparatus committee well answering questions, accomodating requests and being open to ideas like no generator but with a cord reel.
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  6. #56
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,686

    Default

    For a Pierce....a great price. For the specs themselves...probably could have had better prices with other manufacturers.

    We just did a rescue engine (not a Pierce)...7 man cab, probably real close on rest of the items, added 20k hydraulic generator, light tower, 12volt LED lighting and lighting powered by generator, inverter for 110 outlets run off shore-line or generator, only 1000' of 5" though. Was $535k.

    Pierce builds a very nice truck...my sister company has 2. In my area...they aren't normally the low/mid bid.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  7. #57
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Well, that's about $200K per rig above my budget. Good thing we don't want much.
    Hey gunnyv, what make and model apparatus are you getting for about $ 200k less than everyone posting on this topic ? even a program apparatus cost about $ 350,000 & up on a custom chassis.

  8. #58
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Hey gunnyv, what make and model apparatus are you getting for about $ 200k less than everyone posting on this topic ? even a program apparatus cost about $ 350,000 & up on a custom chassis.
    Haven't gone to bid yet. We've gotten "ballpark" estimates based on preliminary meetings from a few for under $350K for what we want, based on Spartan/HME chassis. We don't want much-the biggest add on is an extended cab to store the EMS/ALS gear, which is about $10K.

    HGAC has a few program pumpers for under $300K listed.

  9. #59
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    i know of a 2000 gal 1500gpm pumper tanker being delivered for 314k on a IH commercial chassis. Add 60 k for a custom chassis you still only end up @375k.

  10. #60
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default

    $60K more? Might want to double that, at least, for the cost impact over a commercial chassis....at least from our committee research
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  11. #61
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Station2 ....


    5" & 6" ....... I'm curious why?

    And ya, that's about 200K over budget for the truck we just ordered from Ferrerra.

    (Though we did get to eat at the same table as The Swamp People at FDIC)
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  12. #62
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    820

    Default

    We run 5" for everyday, routine incidents. The 6" is currently carried due to our apparatus which are a direct result of our territory; numerous 300,000+ square foot warehouses (oil & gas related production and distribution facilities) that have fire flows well above average. This has resulted in all our front-line pumpers being 2000GPM (after receipt of the new apparatus), our quint 3000GPM and our tower 3000GPM with each rig having a 5" intake and a 6" intake. Couple that with a water supply that is outstanding with 300' hydrant spacing and we have the water, just a matter of getting it out of the ground.

    We don't lay the 6" everyday, as a matter of fact in the last 5-6 years we have only laid it twice and those were both for commercial structures. Additionally we carry 5" Storz X 6" Storz adapters, should they be needed, for use with mutual-aid companies who utilize 5" LDH only.
    Stay low and move it in.

    Be safe.


    Larry

  13. #63
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcatee1 View Post
    Here is the barrier door on the Saber at FDIC.
    I have seen a news story on this Saber pumper,for the Auburn, AL fire division, the apparatus sold for $ 352,000 and has a 1500gpm pump, 750wt, hydr gen, etc!Nice truck for the buck.
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 06-10-2012 at 07:18 PM.

  14. #64
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    So what you are saying is that a pumper that costs $ 600k can be or will be built in the Florida, plant a long side a $ 200k commercial chassis apparatus. Will the same quality truck be there from both locations? I aways heard that only cookie cutter bodies were built at the Florida, plant and nothing custom ?
    What, do you think your truck might get cooties from the commercials?

    Nothing custom at the Florida plant. That's funny. Every new truck program starts out with limited options. Most customers want the cheaper deal but with a few "special options" thrown in. Same option gets requested enough, they throw it into the price list. Next thing you know, the "cookie cutter" or "budget buster" streamlined for manufacturing fire truck becomes a full line 15,000 options apparatus...

    Thus, no more Contender. You can bet they will come up with another version though. With luck, it wall last as long as the Contender.

  15. #65
    Forum Member
    Engine305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sahuarita AZ, formerly of Hewitt NJ
    Posts
    293

    Default

    With the Saber and what used to be the Custom Contender chassis, Pierce must be doing something right. The chassis has been available in basically the same configuration since 1992. 20 years worth of them out there , early ones had the Detroit Series 40, but now have the ISC and ISL Cummins up to 450 hp.

  16. #66
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    What, do you think your truck might get cooties from the commercials?

    Nothing custom at the Florida plant. That's funny. Every new truck program starts out with limited options. Most customers want the cheaper deal but with a few "special options" thrown in. Same option gets requested enough, they throw it into the price list. Next thing you know, the "cookie cutter" or "budget buster" streamlined for manufacturing fire truck becomes a full line 15,000 options apparatus...

    Thus, no more Contender. You can bet they will come up with another version though. With luck, it wall last as long as the Contender.
    I see nothing wrong with buying a contender apparatus, or now it is called a " SLT " model, I am all out for saving money in this bad economy.A $350k pumper can do the same job as a apparatus that costs a lot more . Pierce Mfg can save big money by building the super custom $ 600k parade trucks down in Florida, by paying lower wages,lower property taxes, etc.I did not know that the Florida, plant built other types of apparatus and not just the the old Contender models !!
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 06-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apparatus Specifications
    By ctfirelieut in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
  2. Bid specifications
    By gregmedic in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
  3. Terminolgy? pumper, pumper tanker, recue pumper, Etc???
    By rezfire in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 02:27 PM
  4. Specifications
    By WHVFC4 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2000, 06:37 PM
  5. European Specifications
    By Dave Gifford in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-1999, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register