Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

Forum Member

Hopefully the SAFER works out! I have my hotel booked and will see you all this weekend. Bringing the wife this time to let her see the city and get a feel for it. Any suggestions? Already plan on being downtown extensively and by the canal, but anything else ya'all can think of? And, do any of you guys want to meet up for dinner this weekend?

CFD11 there are alot of restaurants and such downtown there. All within walking distance for the most part. There is also Circle Centre Mall that is directly downtown with quite a few stores. South of Indianpolis there is a suburb called Greenwood. They also have alot of restaurants and a mall also. If you take 31 or I-65 south you cant miss it. Hope you enjoy your time and good luck with getting hired on!

Forum Member

ya'all... maybe you should just stay home, that only fits down there lol

Forum Member

LOL don't you have a EMT B test to be studying for recruit! LOL hit the books and a little less firehouse forums lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Hopefully the SAFER works out! I have my hotel booked and will see you all this weekend. Bringing the wife this time to let her see the city and get a feel for it. Any suggestions? Already plan on being downtown extensively and by the canal, but anything else ya'all can think of? And, do any of you guys want to meet up for dinner this weekend?
    There is plenty to do downtown. Try St. Elmo's steak house. At least stop in for a couple of drinks and the shrimp cocktail appetizer. Otherwise be prepared to spend a bunch of money. There are plenty of other restaraunts and bars to choose from. Tilted Kilt, Kilroy's, Ike & Jonesy's, are all close together near Meridian St.

Forum Member

Well, the CPAT is in the bag and I've turned in my packet. Wonder when and how many will go on to the ladder climb, psychological eval, etc.?

Forum Member

I failed my practice session yesterday. I got to the last event and I got really dizzy and cramped up. I was taken to the ER and after a series of blood and urine work, I was told I have a severe case of dehydration. Which makes sense. I was feeling fine until I got to the dummy drag. I finished the dummy drag and I just could not move on. I did not eat at all before my practise session nor have anythinig to drink and I paid the price.
    I need to stay hydrated and eat well. I have been workoing out hard for the last 3 months and this just makes me feel bad.
    For those who passed, can you give me some tips as to how you prepared hydration and food wise.
    Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
    I need to stay hydrated and eat well. I have been workoing out hard for the last 3 months and this just makes me feel bad.
    For those who passed, can you give me some tips as to how you prepared hydration and food wise.
    Thank you.
    Hey, don't get too down on yourself, you still have two more attempts. Just take what you learned this time and try to improve in your problem areas. Was this your first ever time taking the CPAT? How do you think you were doing before the dizziness and cramping started? Were you having trouble with any specific event or was it just a cumulative thing?

As for hydration, try to drink lots of water everyday, not just the day of the test. Gatorade, etc. is good to replenish after a workout, but you should be drinking lots of water all day, everyday. Also, try to minimize caffeine intake. Caffeine in large amounts can act as a diuretic, meaning it causes you to urinate frequently can lead to dehydration. Plus, you'll be plenty amped up from natural adrenaline by the time you step onto the stairclimber.

For food, all I can say is don't skip a meal and be sure you eat a solid dinner the night before your test. Long-distance runners go with pasta the night before a race because it allows your body to load up on easy to burn energy, so consider something like that. Then, even if you have an early test time, be sure to eat at least a small breakfast. Just a powerbar, granola bar, or cereal will help prevent low blood sugar.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Hey, don't get too down on yourself, you still have two more attempts. Just take what you learned this time and try to improve in your problem areas. Was this your first ever time taking the CPAT? How do you think you were doing before the dizziness and cramping started? Were you having trouble with any specific event or was it just a cumulative thing?

As for hydration, try to drink lots of water everyday, not just the day of the test. Gatorade, etc. is good to replenish after a workout, but you should be drinking lots of water all day, everyday. Also, try to minimize caffeine intake. Caffeine in large amounts can act as a diuretic, meaning it causes you to urinate frequently can lead to dehydration. Plus, you'll be plenty amped up from natural adrenaline by the time you step onto the stairclimber.

For food, all I can say is don't skip a meal and be sure you eat a solid dinner the night before your test. Long-distance runners go with pasta the night before a race because it allows your body to load up on easy to burn energy, so consider something like that. Then, even if you have an early test time, be sure to eat at least a small breakfast. Just a powerbar, granola bar, or cereal will help prevent low blood sugar.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.
    This is the first time I will be taking the CPAT. I have watched alot of videos online to make myself mentally aware.
    I did not have any major problem with any of the events. When I got to the dummy drag, I started feeling really dizzy and disoriented. I have been trying all day to take my mind off it and just focus on my next try.
    I started drinking alot of water when I got home from the hospital last night and already switched up my food choice. Not much I can do between now and my next try but just keep working out and staying focus.
    Thanks for the advice on food as well. I am just used to working out on empty stomach to avoid nausea but I have been wrong all along. I will give it my best shot.
    Again, Thank you!

Forum Member

Passed my CPAT today! Thanks to everyone for me stalking everyone's posts. In regards to your dehydration Aspire, I'm going to piggyback off Hewartson. I made it a point to drink at the minimum a gallon of water for the week prior to the CPAT. I ate a pasta dinner the night before (carb load). I also had a power bar for breakfast and a power bar an hour and half before the CPAT (while still drinking water). This worked for me, and has worked for me in the Marine Corps when I went on 20 mile hikes with 80+ lb pack. Like said before, you have two more chances so don't let it bring you down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Grunt View Post
    Passed my CPAT today! Thanks to everyone for me stalking everyone's posts. In regards to your dehydration Aspire, I'm going to piggyback off Hewartson. I made it a point to drink at the minimum a gallon of water for the week prior to the CPAT. I ate a pasta dinner the night before (carb load). I also had a power bar for breakfast and a power bar an hour and half before the CPAT (while still drinking water). This worked for me, and has worked for me in the Marine Corps when I went on 20 mile hikes with 80+ lb pack. Like said before, you have two more chances so don't let it bring you down.
    Congratulations and thank you for the words of encouragement. I will adhere to all the advice. Sincerely, I believe deep down this was what hurt me. Again, congrats and I hope to join the ranks on the 17th.

Forum Member

I wrapped up my CPAT this weekend as well. Now comes the hardest part of any process. . . . The waiting game. On another note, the wife loved the area and now she is bouncing off the walls wanting to go back!

Forum Member

Anyone know when the aerial climb is set for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
    Congratulations and thank you for the words of encouragement. I will adhere to all the advice. Sincerely, I believe deep down this was what hurt me. Again, congrats and I hope to join the ranks on the 17th.
    Hopefully, the 2nd try went well. PM if you need any more help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IndyS3 View Post
    Anyone know when the aerial climb is set for?
    My understanding is that only those given conditional offers complete the aerial climb, so it won't be anytime soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.firehouse.com/news/108193...ics-may-retire

Wow, that's a ton of retirements. I won't be going up to apply, my dreamjob is Indy, but just a heads up for you guys that have the Chicago Fire fever. I wonder how many retirements IFD has coming up? In other news, the waiting game is a hard one.

Forum Member

There are a lot of people waiting on final processing. If they don't throw our test out..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    There are a lot of people waiting on final processing. If they don't throw our test out..
    Throw our test out? Why would they do that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Throw our test out? Why would they do that?
    I'm not sure there is a short answer that can adequately answer that....certainly not one that is PC. You should check out the "Chicago Fire 2006" thread. You won't believe the ridiculousness of some of the issues.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure there is a short answer that can adequately answer that....certainly not one that is PC. You should check out the "Chicago Fire 2006" thread. You won't believe the ridiculousness of some of the issues.
    Has someone mentioned this with our IFD process or are we bringing up what ifs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Has someone mentioned this with our IFD process or are we bringing up what ifs?
    nbsmith was referring to the Chicago list and, being on both lists, I misread your comment. The issues in question are all unique to the process in Chicago. Sorry for the confusion.

MembersZone Subscriber

nbsmith was referring to the Chicago list and, being on both lists, I misread your comment. The issues in question are all unique to the process in Chicago. Sorry for the confusion.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. It felt like I had a polish sausage lodged in the lining of my heart for a second!

Forum Member

He's correct I was talking about the Chicago exam. I guess Indy is moving along hiring I heard like 30 this year. But I really don't remember for sure

Forum Member

Forum Member

Hopefully, the 2nd try went well. PM if you need any more help.
    Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take the 2nd try because of the note from my PCP.
    I was not fully recovered from the dehydration then. The Captain told me they dont want to be liable.
    I feel so much better now and I am ready to take this on Wednesday.
    I will let you know. I just hope this stupidity of mine does not work against me when they are deciding.

Thread Information