Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kyle larson View Post
    Has anyone heard if they will be doing a second class at a later date? I have heard people saying that they want to pick up around 60 off this list total, any truth to that?
    The list is now certified by the Merit Board and will be good for two years. There is no guarantee that a second class will be hired. Two years is a long time and a lot of things can happen. The biggest driver will be money and how to deal with a decreasing revenue stream into the city. No one knows how many people we will need in two years. We have a ballpark number for retirements coming up, but if the city closes apparatus after the new Public Safety Director's focus groups recommendations, then who knows how many we'll need. It's just one of many scenarios that can take place in the next two years. I'll keep updates on here if there is something pertinent.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard back yet?

Forum Member

Pretty sure there's still a few to go to PSM. I think the last of them are on the 4th. I had mine yesterday, so obviously haven't heard anything yet. Have to play the waiting game one last time. haha.

Forum Member

Was told about this article tonight. I pray that they don't cut firefighters or this class. http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...uts-tough-task

"Then there are the possibilities of police furloughs and layoffs of firefighters and deputy prosecutors, as well as cutbacks on public defender services.
    Those options were placed on the table to show what 5-percent cuts in public safety and criminal justice would require, but they appear to have little or no support among administration or council leaders.
    They do, however, illustrate the stark choices facing Ballard and the council."...............

"For the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department and the Fire Department, employee costs account for upwards of 90 percent of expenses, leaving few easy options. The initial target for cuts are $8.7 million for IMPD and $6.6 million for IFD.
    Public safety officials have laid out options including seven furlough days a year for police officers, 40 furlough days for civilian police staff and layoffs of 76 firefighters.
    But such steps would be sure to meet resistance from the departments’ unions and from the public. IFD layoffs also would jeopardize a new two-year $4 million federal grant that is set to pay for 30 new firefighter recruits."

Forum Member

Is there a place here in Indy to take the cpat for the card.

Forum Member

nbsmith28,
    sent you a PM

Forum Member

Cool thanks

Forum Member

Well, if their is a recruit class in May, you'll be speaking spanish! http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wr...uring-training

http://www.firerescue1.com/Firefight...-know-Spanish/
    Last edited by The_Rock; 04-09-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add link

Forum Member

Had to fill out a new hire data sheet and sent it back in... Got a reply that as soon as they get the go ahead from PERF they will give us the start date!

Forum Member

Wonder if Perf is holding it up. Did she say how soon they might know? Good news though!

Forum Member

She said that we would know as soon as PERF gives the okay.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything yet?

Forum Member

I got my acceptance letter on Monday giving all details and whatnot. Looking forward to it!

Forum Member

Forum Member

I went and got fitted for my uniforms today!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland247 View Post
    I went and got fitted for my uniforms today!
    Congrats Prowland247 and USMC Grunt! It's been a long road this past year for sure. I'll be waiting a little longer and hoping they'll be holding another class in 2014
    Prowland247 likes this.

Forum Member

I have heard that they are pushing for another class right after ours so keep going!
    mjax14 likes this.

Forum Member

Alright, I normally don't comment on the speculation and what not. But what in the world is going on in Indy! Last page says they are going to have to lay of fireman and furlough cops now they are hiring 36. That 36 will be funded through SAFER so that is all good. What is going on, playing politics with a city budget, truly underfunded, or an exaggeration by the media something is up. And, then I talk to one of my buddies that lives outside Indy and he states before all the threats of layoffs that Indy passed a tax on sporting events that funded two classes so which is it? And from what I have read from on here, I would personally be leery of taking the job where the possibility of layoffs is there. I would love to hear what is really going on

MembersZone Subscriber

Exaggeration by the media. We are down on staffing. Overtime is high. More retirements coming this year starting this month. There may be some cuts coming but it won't be due to layoffs. We have some positions/apparatus that are not essential to the running of the fire department. This is the first class since 2008. I would take the job in a heartbeat rather than turn it down and fear being laid off. IFD has never had layoffs. This is a SAFER grant class and there is talk of a second class but not guaranteed.

Forum Member

Thanks IFDEngine20, I figured as much! I am just waiting my turn to see if I get a call now couldn't believe with military points I wasn't called this time around but the game is all about waiting. Thanks for the heads up

Forum Member

When was the list for IFD finalized and how long is it certified for? Is there a chance that IFD will extend the list for a longer amount of time?

Forum Member

Has anyone heard if Indianapolis is doing any more hiring in the next year or so after this last recruit class is over?

Forum Member

Never mind I had posted a link to a grant but after looking further into it the grant is for fire investigators not for firefighters...... Still waiting, also I heard that 5 or 6 from the academy have already quite so who knows
    Last edited by CFD11; 07-24-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Forum Member

I pray they hire off this list again, I just see them merging with Lawrence before hiring out of this pool again.

Forum Member

I am already on the job in SC so it makes it easier for me in some ways. I have been waiting for some sort of sign of merge or possible hiring off this list again before I make a commitment to a SF national guard unit. I am about done waiting though, ready to jump in to this unit and do some high speed stuff. Obviously IFD would be my first choice but I don't want to have life and plans on hold much longer

Thread Information