Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

Forum Member

To go along with yjbrody, how is the the city doing with money? Seems like everyday you hear of depts cutting, big city and small. But I havent heard anything about IFD except growth, hope this is true. Is IFD still taking in more townships?
    Last edited by crazyfire3; 03-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Forum Member

I called and talked with the HR person already. She said it may help to have FF I and II and EMT but she said that the academy will train for the Indiana standards so its not necessarily a requirement as it reads on the site or the posting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    I'm out of state so I have a few questions...

Do you know if IFD combines any of the testing phases for out of state applicants? Some do and some don't, so just curious.

Also, I saw this from their site:
    Packet Pick-Up: This the first phase of the hiring process. All applicants will be notified by mail and informed of the date and time they are to pick up the applicant packet. This is mandatory. You must bring a valid drivers license. At this time all applicants will have the opportunity to review and make adjustments to any contact information the department currently has on file. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the department has the most current address and phone information for the applicant. Each packet will contain the necessary information about the process.

Is this step still necessary as they are using the govjobs site now? Seems strange that nothing was mentioned anywhere on the govjobs site about this. Thanks
    It says application packet.. I hope they mean locals pick up the application, because they had you fill out an app on neogov... I hope they dont mean to come in and pick up an additional packet.. as I am out of town, and I speak for every out of towner Id imagine... saying that would be a major pain.

Forum Member

No, it says (applicant packet) not application. To me this means theres prolly other info in this. Plus they want you to make sure all your information is correct. Im also an out of towner, outta state actually. Oh well, if they want me to come pick up a packet I will. Then Ill stop by a station and talk to the guys. Yes it sucks, but how bad do you want it????

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm assuming that it is in addition to what we filled out online from what I have read. But I also saw a posting about out of state applicants getting packets mailed, so I was hoping to get a clear answer from IFD. If not I will just call and post what they tell me so we all know.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Awesome!!!

Forum Member

Does anybody know when they will post dates as far as written, interview, agility etc.?

Forum Member

Got an email today with some papework to download, but the links dont work. didnt know if anybody else was having this problem?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cbar84 View Post
    Got an email today with some papework to download, but the links dont work. didnt know if anybody else was having this problem?
    Got the same e-mail. Not a lot of info other than the common sense stuff i.e., you can not be late for any reason at all. You are also not allowed to reschedule any test or event. And don't call them unless it is to change your contact information. All other questions will not be answered. The time and date for all tests and events will be sent to applicants via e-mail.

The other link was a training guide for the CPAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Thanks for the info IFD. Looks like a great dept.

I was looking at the old '07/'08 thread yesterday and it didn't sound like they ever used that hiring list or have tested since. Is that correct? What's your thoughts on this round? Are you hurting for guys or you think it will just be for the 30 or so retirees? I know you said you don't have specifics, just looking for your feel for where IFD might be this round. It sounds like it promising that they are even making a list. Thanks again.

Stay safe.
    They did not hire off the last list that was was established. There is no guarantee they will hire from this list depending on budget and SAFER grant request. We need new blood though. We are not hurting but there is a fine line between calling OT everyday and hiring.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfire3 View Post
    To go along with yjbrody, how is the the city doing with money? Seems like everyday you hear of depts cutting, big city and small. But I havent heard anything about IFD except growth, hope this is true. Is IFD still taking in more townships?
    FD budget is in a deficit right now but not overwhelming. No townships considering consolidation. We don't need them. We are still down on personnel that were budgeted for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Got the same e-mail. Not a lot of info other than the common sense stuff i.e., you can not be late for any reason at all. You are also not allowed to reschedule any test or event. And don't call them unless it is to change your contact information. All other questions will not be answered. The time and date for all tests and events will be sent to applicants via e-mail.

The other link was a training guide for the CPAT.
    All of that is true. You should be preparing for CPAT now regardless of when it takes place. The stepmill is a candidate killer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Does anybody know when they will post dates as far as written, interview, agility etc.?
    You will all receive the information when the next step has been established. There is a timeline but it is fluid. Until you get it in writing it doesn't mean anything. Be prepared for the CPAT now. Don't wait until you pass the written.

Forum Member

Whats the pension system like in Indiana? Is it 50% at 20 years and 75% at 30 years? It changed in Illinois, work 5 more yrs for 5% less. BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does IFD accept CPAT cards?

MembersZone Subscriber

@crazyfire3

Just tried to PM you but you don't accept messages.

Where at in Central IL are you from?

Forum Member

Im from Savoy

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfire3 View Post
    Whats the pension system like in Indiana? Is it 50% at 20 years and 75% at 30 years? It changed in Illinois, work 5 more yrs for 5% less. BS.
    Pension as of now is 50% at 20 years but you have to be 52 to collect. Maxes out at 74% with 32 years of service. Mandatory retirement when you hit 70 years old. DROP program in place up to 3 years. Other benefits related to retirement plans as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does IFD accept CPAT cards?
    No cards are accepted. Everyone who gets far enough will have to take the CPAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20 View Post
    No cards are accepted. Everyone who gets far enough will have to take the CPAT.
    Thanks, I know some departments will take them just to save some money so was just curious.

Retirement seems nice on the other hand.

Forum Member

Does IFD have paramedics on the engines, trucks, or squads? If so, do all the trucks have one or just a selected number? Any idea of the amount of applicants?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dan8329 View Post
    Does IFD have paramedics on the engines, trucks, or squads? If so, do all the trucks have one or just a selected number? Any idea of the amount of applicants?
    All squads have at least one medic assigned all the the time. Some engines are dedicated ALS and have 2 medics assigned with at least one working each shift. Some engines or ladders have a medic assigned but are not designated ALS unless the medic is working that day. We make them ALS or BLS depending on staffing for the day. I don't know how many applicants but it will be a lot.

Forum Member

I was looking in my email briefly this afternoon and didn't see a test date. Have they released the date yet?

Forum Member

To add onto TrevorT does anyone know when we are suppose to pick up the hiring packet? I would love to see some dates so I can start to plan for the trips to Indy...

Forum Member

does anybody know when Indy is going to mail out the information to pick up the packet?
    Last edited by ffmecko; 04-27-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information