Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmedic View Post
    so it looks like 4 sessions over that weekend, probably safe to say around 500 in each group, so around 2000 testing...
    my thoughts too

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Any word on why they switched to the I/O solutions NFSI exam? The NFSI is an awful assessment tool. I thought the previous exam was one the most fair and well balanced exams I had seen. It wasn't too easy and it required the applicant to put forth effort. The NFSI is an error filled exam written at an 8th grade level with a BS personality portion that makes/breaks your entire test score.
    So the test is NOT going to be what the website describes then? I.E. getting the little booklet, studying the booklet for x amount of hours then taking a break and coming back to answer questions on it? So they are changing the format completely or what? Anybody have any input on this??

Forum Member

I don't think the email could be anymore clear then what it is. It tells you what study guides to get and the website. That's just my input but I've never taken the test, just simply read the email.

MembersZone Subscriber

They switched to the I/O Solutions test. It consists of 105 general aptitude questions (written at roughly an 8th grade level) and then a 50 question "personality" portion. The personality portion is what will make or break your score. Per I/O Solutions, there are no right or wrong answers, yet it is a graded portion of the exam.

Forum Member

I think the real question here is, has anybody heard if IFD will be hiring and if so how many people do they expect?

Forum Member

Might not be able to make the test. Have a Chiefs interview and a medical around that time frame.

Forum Member

Yea, I like to play the numbers with the bigger cities like Indy, My motivation goes down when 2000 are testing for 10 positions...
    Longhose90 likes this.

Forum Member

Hey, it's less the Columbus haha. There was like 7,000-8,000 took that exam but then again they have a bunch of people retiring in the next few years because of drop. Nobody has said anything about how many they would be possibly looking for which worries me but might as well test and find out.

Forum Member

You guys ready for the test this weekend?

Forum Member

2000 applicants I like those odds, see you guys Sunday. Make sure you guys get some good sleep, and a nice breakfast the morning of the test.

Forum Member

Test done I think went good.. I guess there only hiring 87 over the next three years was what I was told.. good luck to all

Forum Member

Does anybody know if they give bonus points?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    Test done I think went good.. I guess there only hiring 87 over the next three years was what I was told.. good luck to all
    Sounds a lot better than the 0 hired off the last list!

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

Does anyone know how many actually showed up to test? Also please post if you get your results back. I heard that they will be emailed in 2 weeks. Good luck to the ones that REALLY want it! Slainte!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Does anyone know how many actually showed up to test?
    An Officer assisting at the 0800 Sunday exam told us that 539 were scheduled for each session and "about half" showed up for each of the first 3 groups.

Forum Member

That's a good sign for the people that showed up. Does anybody know if "bonus" points are given out for anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

Only about half of the signed up people took the test. Just over 1,000 out of 2,000. The odds got better for those of you that took the test. FD has asked city for the ability to hire 30 around the first of the year. The budget will dictate everything. We are losing people to retirements etc. and are down as it is right now.

Forum Member

When will city make decision on the budget to hire additional? You say you are losing but what is financial situation of fire department? I hear that Police department is short several million and with a new public safety director coming into office will they use fire department money to offset police department money, since they are all public safety. Basically, with all retirements and staffing shortfalls what % of chance is there really that IFD will hire in next 2 years? Lastly, I still hear rumors that township consolidations are still being worked on with the remaining and that is still a possibility in future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by db1110 View Post
    When will city make decision on the budget to hire additional? You say you are losing but what is financial situation of fire department? I hear that Police department is short several million and with a new public safety director coming into office will they use fire department money to offset police department money, since they are all public safety. Basically, with all retirements and staffing shortfalls what % of chance is there really that IFD will hire in next 2 years? Lastly, I still hear rumors that township consolidations are still being worked on with the remaining and that is still a possibility in future.
    Well db you sound like you know more about the whole situation than I do. You can drop out of the process and not have to worry about all the "what ifs" or you can stick it out and see what happens. I'm not going to debate all of the rumors and heresay on here but I will continue to provide pertinent information regarding the hiring process for those who are still interested. To answer your legitimate question, the budget process doesn't take place until late summer and early fall but there is a request for a SAFER grant that is promising.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

Thanks IFDFFENG20 for keeping us posted on everything. I can't wait to see if I made it to the next round. I'm very glad to hear that IFD is going to try and obtain the SAFER Grant. I wish the same for my brothers back in Georgia. Anyway like I said, I'm trying to make my dream a reality so good luck to those who really want it.

Thread Information