Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

Forum Member

The anticipation is killing me.... This would be a dream come true.

Forum Member

IFD, any idea what the average interview time was?

Forum Member

Firedawg,

You still in Coastal Ga? I am in SC and if you want to jump into a car pool to save cash on trips up to Indy the more the merrier when it comes to paying for gas and hotels.

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea on how many people were invited to the interviews?

MembersZone Subscriber

IFD indicated over 900.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by one_day View Post
    IFD, any idea what the average interview time was?
    I don't know what the average was. Some people took all their time and others were finished quickly.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Firedawg,

You still in Coastal Ga? I am in SC and if you want to jump into a car pool to save cash on trips up to Indy the more the merrier when it comes to paying for gas and hotels.
    Thanks for asking CFD11, that was very kind, but I resigned from my career dept. and moved back to Indy a week before the oral boards to pursue this dream. I would have definitely taken you up on the offer if I were still down there. Good luck brother and be safe!

IFD, I read an article from the Indy Star today about the Mayor's proposal to close a $65M shortfall. In the article it quotes;

"Even without raises for officers and firefighters, the general fund budget for police would increase 5 percent, and the Fire Department would see a 3 percent bump.
    Still, the proposed budget wouldn't pay for police and firefighter recruit classes, ensuring declines in the ranks as retirements mount. That reality means IMPD will have to get even more creative in its street policing strategies to keep the public safe." Here's the link http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...g|IndyStar.com

Sir, I was just wondering if we should look into this at all or is it just a political tactic being used as a starting point for the bean counters? And thanks again for all of your help and advice thus far. Be safe.
    Last edited by Firedawg42; 08-12-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: link

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything yet?

Forum Member

Nope, not yet.

Forum Member

Mabye they are waiting to see how bad the budget cuts will be

MembersZone Subscriber

Results should be coming out this week. I expect about 250-300 to be told they are taking the CPAT. The process is still on to establish a list. When anyone gets hired is up in the air. We have retirements coming up in the next 2 years. There are budget troubles now which could definitely affect when and how many are hired. We are in the running for a SAFER grant which would help. The city re-opened the contract which means they are going to take back raises for next year for starters. The Union will be in negotiations to help find cuts to get IFD back on track budget-wise. I would not expect any hiring until after the first of the year.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

I hope the SAFER gets granted to IFD. When would they hear back about that? Thanks again for keeping us posted!

Forum Member

The 2011 SAFER Grant filing closed for the year a week or so ago. Sounds like this will have to be 2012 for sure. Cincy got one and it will take until October probably to start the academy.

Forum Member

Got my denial letter today, good luck everyone.

Forum Member

Sorry bro, stay tough and you will get a job somewhere.
    Firedawg42 likes this.

Forum Member

You would figure it would be a mass email to every applicant... No email has been sent to me yet.

Forum Member

I haven't received one either, now that I saw that there is some movement really hoping for good word. I forgot how much I hate going through the process and not knowing.

GM
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20 View Post
    I would not expect any hiring until after the first of the year.
    A friend of mine (from IEMS) advised me she was asked to teach the next IFD recruit class' EMT course "sometime in mid-March," so you're spot-on with your assessment.

Forum Member

I have not received anything yet as well. A lady told me we should hear something within 2 weeks. You can imagine how my day went last friday as I thought we would definitely know by the end of that day. Everytime my alert goes off on my phone, I feel like my heart is about explode. I was unable to sleep last night when Jrocker said he got a letter and I did not! Anyways...
    IFD, thanks for the information you have been serving us, it is greatly appreciated! Since they are taking about 20 - 30 this class, do you have any idea how those 20-30 will be chosen? It is possible many more can pass all levels, and I was not sure if they will end up choosing based on points.
    Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
    I have not received anything yet as well. A lady told me we should hear something within 2 weeks. You can imagine how my day went last friday as I thought we would definitely know by the end of that day. Everytime my alert goes off on my phone, I feel like my heart is about explode. I was unable to sleep last night when Jrocker said he got a letter and I did not! Anyways...
    IFD, thanks for the information you have been serving us, it is greatly appreciated! Since they are taking about 20 - 30 this class, do you have any idea how those 20-30 will be chosen? It is possible many more can pass all levels, and I was not sure if they will end up choosing based on points.
    Thank you!
    As of now, you have all been ranked based on interviews and written test scores. CPAT is pass/fail. The only sticking point will be how many minorities finish within the group eligible to be hired. If it is low, the Chief will probably get pressure from outside influences to use his 20% to fill the minority void. (The Chief gets to hand pick 20% of the number of people to be hired. He can pick from any eligible candidates.) This Chief is a straight-down-the-list type of guy but certain council members will point out our percentage of minorities has dropped with the mergers of mostly caucasian fire departments.

Thread Information