+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 First ... 6789101112 ... Last
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

Forum Member

My first session is on the 31st.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Thank you Lord, I moved on to the CPAT! IFD, could you please tell us how many candidates were moved on to the CPAT Sir?
    251 have been selected to go to CPAT. Good Luck. If you are not working out now it could be a problem.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. That cut things down drastically in terms of people competing for the job. I have got to admit I was very skeptical of Indy cutting to that low of a number but no one will catch me complaining about it. Do any of you guys have a good website that has run numbers per apparatus and what not. I have googled for the last few months since the written and can't find run numbers, fires, and ems etc anywhere. Just curious to see how busy the rigs are as I sit in the hotel waiting for tomorrows cpat orientation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Thanks for the info. That cut things down drastically in terms of people competing for the job. I have got to admit I was very skeptical of Indy cutting to that low of a number but no one will catch me complaining about it. Do any of you guys have a good website that has run numbers per apparatus and what not. I have googled for the last few months since the written and can't find run numbers, fires, and ems etc anywhere. Just curious to see how busy the rigs are as I sit in the hotel waiting for tomorrows cpat orientation.

IFD had 154,727 responses in 2010
    with 62,394 for FIRE and 92,333 for EMS.

1216 Total Sworn Personnel

1161 Sworn Men
    (973 White Males, 170 Black Males,
    13 Hispanic Males, 5 Asian Males)

55 Sworn Women
    (48 White Females, 6 Black Females,
    1 Hispanic Female)

302 Personnel on Duty per Shift

171 Paramedics

52 Active Rescue Divers

487 HazMat Techs

The annual report has more detailed information

MembersZone Subscriber

CFD11,

How long are you in town?

MembersZone Subscriber

Try this link. This represents all Marion County FD's. 37-40 is City of Lawrence, 101-102 Beech Grove, 201-202 Speedway, 111-115 Pike Twp., 81-85 Wayne Twp. 71-74 Decatur Twp., 900 Airport, 1-25, 27-33, 41-45, 52-55, 61-64 are all IFD apparatus #'s.

http://www.l416.com/items/July-August.pdf

Run totals are toward the end.

Forum Member

CFD11,

How long are you in town?
    Firedawg,
    I literally drove up the night before and after my orientation headed right back. That is a brutal drive by yourself...... Thanks IFD that is exactly what I was looking for

MembersZone Subscriber

Firedawg,
    I literally drove up the night before and after my orientation headed right back. That is a brutal drive by yourself...... Thanks IFD that is exactly what I was looking for
    CFD,
    Yeah man, that drive is a beast. I'm happy that I don't have to drive it anymore. Was gonna see if you wanted to be a guest at my gym but hopefully you got a good workout at orientation. Glad you made it back safe.

Forum Member

Thanks bro,

The orientation really didn't provide a work out as much as just familiarizing yourself with the course and the specifics. I haven't taken a CPAT in over 8 years so it was good refresher and to be honest it put me at ease quite a bit. I had built it up to be bigger than what it was, when I got there and started doing everything I remembered that the CPAT is nothing more than a basic firefighting test and if someone can't pass it they may want to come off the rig.
    Firedawg42 likes this.

Forum Member

At the orientation they mentioned that the waiver can still be turned in to bypass any future phases of the CPAT. Am I correct that they also said that we would still have the option of attending the practices and just skipping the second orientation? Despite turning in the waiver? I would imagine that if this is the case we could still test out on the practice dates. Anybody get that impression?

Forum Member

FD,
    Thats is exactly what I was told, due to travel arrangements they said I could waive the second orientation and test out on my practice runs.

Forum Member

The other day I was told by two other applicants that they were called back this week off of the elgibility list, along with some other applicants "because the administration didn't like the numbers". I'm not sure I understand what the applicants meant by that. Logic would say that since they didn't score high enough to be on the INITIAL list, that they have a lower score than everyone that got the original cpat email. With that, they shouldn't affect anyone that got the initial cpat email as long as they pass the cpat as well, correct? Or is there a way that the applicants that got the call up could pass anyone on the original list besides having vet pref, which is understandable? And is it still 251 or has that number gone up or down. Thank you
    Last edited by The_Rock; 09-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

FD,
    Thats is exactly what I was told, due to travel arrangements they said I could waive the second orientation and test out on my practice runs.
    Can you clarify what you mean when you say test out on the practice runs? Did they say you could officially pass the CPAT during practice? As in, if you pass the CPAT during practice you do not have to test out at your official test date?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean when you say test out on the practice runs? Did they say you could officially pass the CPAT during practice? As in, if you pass the CPAT during practice you do not have to test out at your official test date?
    Hewartson47,
    They said that if you declare the CPAT practice as an actual test and pass it then it counts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hewartson47,
    They said that if you declare the CPAT practice as an actual test and pass it then it counts.
    Thanks! Say you declare it an official test and fail. That's it, right? Or do you get a second chance later at your official test date?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rock View Post
    The other day I was told by two other applicants that they were called back this week off of the elgibility list, along with some other applicants "because the administration didn't like the numbers". I'm not sure I understand what the applicants meant by that. Logic would say that since they didn't score high enough to be on the INITIAL list, that they have a lower score than everyone that got the original cpat email. With that, they shouldn't affect anyone that got the initial cpat email as long as they pass the cpat as well, correct? Or is there a way that the applicants that got the call up could pass anyone on the original list besides having vet pref, which is understandable? And is it still 251 or has that number gone up or down. Thank you
    This is not true about "not liking the numbers". 6 people's scores were found to have been misaligned in the two columns representing their names and scores. The testing company caught the error and the fire department administration added them to their proper place on the list. No one was taken off the list. One person who originally got a denial letter actually finished in the top 40.

MembersZone Subscriber

If no one was taken off, what happened to the 6 who were incorrectly given the initial credit for these scores?

Forum Member

Thank you for the clarification. And thats a good question hewartson. So I guess we are around 257ish?

MembersZone Subscriber

If no one was taken off, what happened to the 6 who were incorrectly given the initial credit for these scores?
    I'm not sure if my explanation was the best, but no candidate who should not be there is not there. All candidates who scored high enough to move on are doing so. I didn't get all the details but I was assured it was done right.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard some firefighters talking about this and the SAFER in general

"Of the $320 million authorized for the FY 2012 SAFER grant program, $50 million in grant funds will be set aside specifically to fund SAFER firefighter positions that are filled by military veterans who are new employees not currently employed in the fire service."
    Last edited by Firedawg42; 09-20-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    USMC Grunt likes this.

Forum Member

I was reading an earlier post about SAFER grant. Does IFD know if they have gotten the grant and if not when will they know? Is IFD planning on using this money to help hire firefighters? Will this $50 million "extra" money in safer for military going to affect the list rank if they get grant money?

I saw an article in Indianapolis newspaper saying a new "public safety" director has been named. Is this good for department?

MembersZone Subscriber

FD,
    Do you mind explaining this for me? I am from out of state and was not planning on attending any practice sessions. When you test out at the practice day, is that your only chance? (i.e. if you fail, you're removed from the process) Or do you get to try again at your official test day? If it is a "free" try, it will be worth the trip.

Does anyone else have knowledge of this?

Forum Member

Do you mind explaining this for me? I am from out of state and was not planning on attending any practice sessions. When you test out at the practice day, is that your only chance? (i.e. if you fail, you're removed from the process) Or do you get to try again at your official test day? If it is a "free" try, it will be worth the trip.

Does anyone else have knowledge of this?
    From the way it was explained, if you use your "practice run" as the actual Test and pass it counts, if you fail, it doesn't DQ you and you can finish the course at your practice. So you really get 3 shots at it if you fail at both practices you still have your official test.

Does that help? Also, if you do come to a practice to run it make sure you bring your packet that way if you pass you don't have to mail it in or make a trip to bring it to HQ. Good Luck to all!

MembersZone Subscriber

It does, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by vfd269 View Post
    I was reading an earlier post about SAFER grant. Does IFD know if they have gotten the grant and if not when will they know? Is IFD planning on using this money to help hire firefighters? Will this $50 million "extra" money in safer for military going to affect the list rank if they get grant money?

I saw an article in Indianapolis newspaper saying a new "public safety" director has been named. Is this good for department?
    We are still waiting on the SAFER grant which I think will help drive the rest of the hiring process. The new Director has his hands full with the cops right now. We will wait and see if he is a friend or not. The last guy was but the cops didn't like him because he held them accountable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 First ... 6789101112 ... Last

Thread Information