Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring Process 2012

The Indianapolis Fire Department will open a hiring process beginning March 12, 2012. The sign up period will last approximately 3 weeks from this date but don't hesitate. Follow the link below for the official sign up information and details. If you have previously expressed interest via an interest card or through the IFD website you should still sign up through the City HR website.

As in the past, I will try to answer questions pertaining to the process and the steps. First off: I don't know when hiring will take place or how many they plan to hire. That being said, Good Luck!

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/OFM/HR...ages/Home.aspx
    Last edited by IFDFFENG20; 03-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got done reading the last thread on here IFD from 2007/2008, and was wondering if they have changed the policy on tattoos? Seems like a minor question to ask, but made it all the way through a written test, CPAT, and Panel interview before they said "I'm sorry but don't know how you made it this far we have a strict tattoo policy." This was after I even asked several times and told I just had to keep it covered.

So just wanted to make sure before I apply.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We do not have a policy on tattoos. We have plenty of people with tattoos on their arms and legs that are visible. Our general orders do not mention tattoos, only body piercings. An offensive or Mike Tyson face tattoo may get you eliminated but other than that, it shouldn't be a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the quick reply. Just a pic of my daughters footprints on my forearm so not to worried now.

Also just wondering if you know if there is already a candidate list/pool that is established? Just wondering if there is, when is it set to expire and will there be a recruit class started of that list/pool or will it come from a new list/pool?

Thanks in advance

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my app in this morning best of luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just a pic of my daughters footprints on my forearm so not to worried now.

Also just wondering if you know if there is already a candidate list/pool that is established? Just wondering if there is, when is it set to expire and will there be a recruit class started of that list/pool or will it come from a new list/pool?

Thanks in advance
    The old candidate list has expired. We need to get a new list in place with upcoming retirements on the horizon. This year and next year we have over 30 people set to retire on the DROP.

Forum Member

Got my application in.. hope it don't turn outike Chicago where I'm still waiting for a start date

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    Got my application in.. hope it don't turn outike Chicago where I'm still waiting for a start date
    Could be worse. Could be like the guys on FDNY Exam 6019.

Forum Member

Thats so true.. fdny is totally messed up right now.. but at least Chicago is putting there sue class in this month

MembersZone Subscriber

Starting pay is about $38,000 and goes to around $60,000 at the start of your third year. Medics make more, College credits are pro-rated and paid up to $1,000 total per year. There are other additions to the base pay as well. We are on a Kelly Day system (1 per 7 day cycle) and work 24/48.

Forum Member

IFDFFENG20, Can you post some IFD stats? Or email me? Id like to ask you some questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfire3 View Post
    IFDFFENG20, Can you post some IFD stats? Or email me? Id like to ask you some questions.
    IFD Stats:
    1200 members.
    44 Stations. 43 Engines 22 Ladders 6 two person EMS non-transporting squads. 7 Battalions. Collapse Rescue, Heavy and light extrication, Dive, Ropes, Hazmat, Decon, Urban Search. All apparatus run EMS.

EMT's and Paramedics, 4 people per apparatus. Busiest engine had 4,000 last year. Busiest ladder 1,600. Busiest squad 3,800.

Average about 1 working fire a day citywide. Sometimes more, sometimes none. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

Does IFD allow riders? I would like to drive over and ride so I could talk to the guys and learn more about the dept.

Forum Member

I read a post on the last hiring thread that the written exam and CPAT is just pass/fail, so I was wondering what they looked at or graded the most?Interviews, background checks, and experience?

Forum Member

Just applied, I live in Washington State it could be a very expensive process. I actually hope it is.....The test sounds a lot like Seattle's process with the study session and then the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been a paid firefighter for 9 years (4 Air Force, 5 civilian) but this is my dream job ever since I was a kid! Glad to see that they are hiring

MembersZone Subscriber

Does IFD allow riders? I would like to drive over and ride so I could talk to the guys and learn more about the dept.
    Riding is allowed but unless you know someone it's probably going to be extremely difficult. Remember this is their home you are coming into and strangers are kept at arms length. I would probably hold off on trying to ride out. It won't help you get hired. Stop by a firehouse if you are in town and ask questions but riding out should probably wait.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    I read a post on the last hiring thread that the written exam and CPAT is just pass/fail, so I was wondering what they looked at or graded the most?Interviews, background checks, and experience?
    I think the plan is to have % weights attached to each component. In the past it was solely the interview score if you made it that far. Not so fair to a guy that scores 100 and someone with a 75 to have them be counted as equal throughout the process. CPAT will remain pass/fail.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cbar84 View Post
    Just applied, I live in Washington State it could be a very expensive process. I actually hope it is.....The test sounds a lot like Seattle's process with the study session and then the test.
    Not sure if it will be a same day study session or a booklet that you study then show up and take the test based on concepts from the book. You will know soon.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I totally understand where your coming from. I wasnt thinking it would help me get hired. The IFD web page says you should know about the dept. I know as much as the internet will let me. Ive talked a little with some IFD guys but it was at party gras in St.Louis. HaHa I was just looking for a little more. Thanks again

Forum Member

The web site says maintain Indiana first class firefighter or NFPA ff 1 and 2. So if your a firefighter already do you still have to get your Indiana cert. This sounds like a no-brainer but the web site reads like its either or. Example, im a cert ff2 in Illinois and a (advanced technician firefighter) use to be ff3. Does this mean anything or will I still get my Indiana certs?

MembersZone Subscriber

The web site says maintain Indiana first class firefighter or NFPA ff 1 and 2. So if your a firefighter already do you still have to get your Indiana cert. This sounds like a no-brainer but the web site reads like its either or. Example, im a cert ff2 in Illinois and a (advanced technician firefighter) use to be ff3. Does this mean anything or will I still get my Indiana certs?
    Your Indiana certs come through training during recruit school. Everyone is trained the same. You get the second part of the cert after your first year on the job. By saying maintain certs, it is referring to keeping up with required training and education throughout your career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20 View Post
    Your Indiana certs come through training during recruit school. Everyone is trained the same. You get the second part of the cert after your first year on the job. By saying maintain certs, it is referring to keeping up with required training and education throughout your career.
    I'm out of state so I have a few questions...

Do you know if IFD combines any of the testing phases for out of state applicants? Some do and some don't, so just curious.

Also, I saw this from their site:
    Packet Pick-Up: This the first phase of the hiring process. All applicants will be notified by mail and informed of the date and time they are to pick up the applicant packet. This is mandatory. You must bring a valid drivers license. At this time all applicants will have the opportunity to review and make adjustments to any contact information the department currently has on file. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the department has the most current address and phone information for the applicant. Each packet will contain the necessary information about the process.

Is this step still necessary as they are using the govjobs site now? Seems strange that nothing was mentioned anywhere on the govjobs site about this. Thanks
    Last edited by yjbrody; 03-19-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Found some answers on their website
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    I'm out of state so I have a few questions...

Do you know if IFD combines any of the testing phases for out of state applicants? Some do and some don't, so just curious.

Also, I saw this from their site:
    Packet Pick-Up: This the first phase of the hiring process. All applicants will be notified by mail and informed of the date and time they are to pick up the applicant packet. This is mandatory. You must bring a valid drivers license. At this time all applicants will have the opportunity to review and make adjustments to any contact information the department currently has on file. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the department has the most current address and phone information for the applicant. Each packet will contain the necessary information about the process.

Is this step still necessary as they are using the govjobs site now? Seems strange that nothing was mentioned anywhere on the govjobs site about this. Thanks
    Unfortunately there is no combining of parts of the test for out of towners. I imagine you will have to come in to pick up material and show a valid license. (Now is the time to get them renewed if you are close) I will find out more and try to get back to you all on here.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info IFD. Looks like a great dept.

I was looking at the old '07/'08 thread yesterday and it didn't sound like they ever used that hiring list or have tested since. Is that correct? What's your thoughts on this round? Are you hurting for guys or you think it will just be for the 30 or so retirees? I know you said you don't have specifics, just looking for your feel for where IFD might be this round. It sounds like it promising that they are even making a list. Thanks again.

Stay safe.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Thread Information