Forum Member

Question Paying for training

Hello All,
    I am looking for some input regarding a dilemma that is going on in my volunteer fire company and combination paid/volunteer department. A member of my fire company who is also a Captain in the department and a decorated firefighter recently took an EMT class which he completed but failed the state written exam. He signed a waiver form with the county Dept. of Emergency Services stating that if he completed the class and passed the state written exam that the county would pay for the class, however if he did not complete the class or pass the written exam that he would be responsible for the cost personally.
    As I stated above he did not pass the written so the county did not pay the cost. The Captain had to pay almost $1,200.00 out of pocket to the collage to avoid them from sending to a collections agency. *The paid Chief of our combination department WILL NOT pay the bill because of the waiver the Captain signed and my volunteer fire company is supporting the Chiefs decision due to the overall cost of the class.
    My question to all the Fire Chiefs out there is *do you stick a loyal and dedicated volunteer stick a $1,200.00 bill and risk losing as a leader and firefighter *or do you reimburse him the money *that he paid out of pocket because itís the right thing to do?
    I would appreciate any feedback or other resolution to this dilemma. (Especially from Chief Officers)

Pleaseleave name and rank.
    Thank you all and stay safe!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by NTFire2 View Post
    My question to all the Fire Chiefs out there is *do you stick a loyal and dedicated volunteer stick a $1,200.00 bill and risk losing as a leader and firefighter *or do you reimburse him the money *that he paid out of pocket because it’s the right thing to do?
    Unfortunately, knew the risks of taking and not passing the class when he signed that waiver, and now the rules are being enforced. What makes this member any different from anyone else from the fire company that signs the waiver but doesn't pass?

Why is reimbursing him the money "the right thing to do?"

And why is the fire company going to lose him as a leader and firefighter? Is he ****ed because he's not getting reimbursed, although he knew that risk beforehand?

My VFD does a similar program, but it's administered at the company level, not the county level. And yes, we've had members write us a check (although sometimes it's taken a little while to collect it) for not holding up their end of the bargain.

Clearly, you're in the camp that supports giving him the money back. What do the others say?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information