Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Creating a "Intro" to my department...

What myself and a few other members are trying to do, is create almost an "Intro" packet to our department. Aside from a copy of the by-laws, SOP's, SOG's, etc. We would like to comply a few pages of just general knowledge that a new firefighter should have. Including how you should act, your role, and information about the department itself. Now we have the basics down, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions, or even a copy of their own! I'm sure were not the first department to come up with this idea, but I figure it would be really good reading material for anyone new to the fire service. Weather the new members actually read it or not, well that would be their choice.

Anyone have similar experience with this, or maybe input? I'm looking at pretty much everything. I do understand that 98% of this packet must be department specific, but input would be of great help! Thanks!!!
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We're just finishing re-doing our rookie book. It contains copies of the by-laws, SOP's (both for the company and the county), FAQ's about the station and the fire service in general, a history of our department, and expectations. It also contains the check-off sheets that the rookies are required to have accomplished by the end of their six-month probation. This is their bible, and they're expected to have it at the ready anytime they're at the station during their probation.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We are in the process of completing what we call the Firefighter Handbook. It covers just about everything. The FD History, application process, mission statement, organizational chart, firefighter classifications, DOG’s ,By Laws, Response Plans, Reimbursement Plan, Insurance Coverage and general rules….

How about including a run summary for the past couple of years - how many, what kind? Make sure they know it's not all sitting in a chair on the ramp watching traffic go by (or one run after another, for that matter).

Don't forget about your recruit's significant other. I'm sure we've all got a story or two about a good member we lost when the "honey-do" list suddenly started to overwhelm fire department participation. They need to know from the get-go just exactly what you expect out of their husband/wife/boy or girlfriend.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    How about including a run summary for the past couple of years - how many, what kind? Make sure they know it's not all sitting in a chair on the ramp watching traffic go by (or one run after another, for that matter).

Don't forget about your recruit's significant other. I'm sure we've all got a story or two about a good member we lost when the "honey-do" list suddenly started to overwhelm fire department participation. They need to know from the get-go just exactly what you expect out of their husband/wife/boy or girlfriend.
    ^This, this is an excelent idea! Thank you! I would have never of thought about this.

For the above posters, is there a way I can get a copy of your books? I'd like to see how you guys did this. This is the first time I'm doing something like this. I can say, I will not just print it out and use it as ours.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..............

We also have a "Rookie Book", and like my esteemed colleague from Virginia, we require the new folks to learn it. Ours covers a lot of "Need to know for the job" info, but we haven't put in a lot of Historical info. How you construct your Book, and what you put in it, should reflect your Department's situation. Here, getting folks "On the Road" is a priority, History and other "Non Operational" info can come later..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I would like a copy if anyone has one handy as well. We've had to do a complete over haul of the entire department within the last year and anything will come in handy.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

I come from a simpler time like HWOODS. Over the years we seem to make rocket science out of everything. As a new member I think all I need is a copy of the By-laws, SOG/SOP's (what ever you want to call them) and the code of conduct. They should tell you 99% of what you really need to know in the beginning.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information