Forum Member

Default PD's involved with Regional Radio Project?

Had received information that a neighboring dept. recently received a regional AFG grant award for portable radios for a new county radio system. Among those agencies included 2 fire depts., an ems agency and a police dept.

Are police depts. eligible for AFG regional grants?

Forum Member

Only the "lead" agency receives the grant. And if part of their plan includes PD's, that is allowable. The PD does not receive the grant, they just get the benefit of the lead agency including them in it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Not radios though. If they're the dispatching agency then they get the equipment necessary to support that role such as base stations, CADs, etc, and they can even benefit from the repeaters and whatnot, but they can't receive radios for officers.

Forum Member

If incidental benefit to the cops of "fire" infrastructure great. Who can complain about improved gov't efficiency.

But BUY them equipment? The cop business has more pots of $ and grant $ to tap than a dog has fleas. Ever seen a 20yr old squad car, an underpaid or volunteer cop, or one with no snappy newish uniform?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    If incidental benefit to the cops of "fire" infrastructure great. Who can complain about improved gov't efficiency.

But BUY them equipment? The cop business has more pots of $ and grant $ to tap than a dog has fleas. Ever seen a 20yr old squad car, an underpaid or volunteer cop, or one with no snappy newish uniform?
    Really.....surely you jest!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 03-23-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Cant agree with the under paid, because most that I know are under paid.

But your right, you never see a 20 year old cop car but part of that's based on cost - we can get a delivered cop car for $30~40k, where our cheapest trucks (grass rigs) run $80k+.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK Sorry folks and my apologies to those that know me for what is about to follow but I resisited speaking out yesterday during the first negative post and I feel obligated to push-back a little here on behalf of my fellow brothers and sisters in law enforcement.

Sir, you need to remember that there are many, many dual career people on this forum. There are many in here who have relatives and close friends who are LEOs. Let me dispel some of these myths you seem to beleive.

1.) Salaries - I did 27 years on the streets as a cop and administartor and retired making $36,800 per year. My retirement check is a whopping $1243.00 per month. I have been stabbed, slashed, shot at, beaten with objects, drug by vehicles and sacrificed any semblence of a social life and after all that public service and 6 years of military service what do I have to show for it? I have "no" health insurance at 59 years of age. My medical expenses alone last year for taking care of my 100% disabled wife were over $30K according to my tax accountant last week. My mortgage payment is $1900 per month and I am about one paycheck away from foreclosure.

2.) Squad Cars- The average $27K squad car lasts for 5 years and when traded has more than 182,500 miles on it. How many miles does that $325,000 engine have on it? Trying to compare vehicle needs between law enforcement and fire is ludicrous.

3.) Piles of grant money and loads of programs- Puuuullleeeze! I am in this business full time 24/7/365 and I would like to know where your sources of information are coming from. Last I looked the DHS umbrella incorporated all law enforcement, fire, rescue, EMS etc. underneath its wide cover and according to my records ALL programs at DHS took a 17% hit last year. Do you not realize the huge advantage that you in the fire service enjoy in being able to apply directly to the Federl government without state or local political involvement? The last "equipmnt only" program I was aware of for law enforcement was CEDAP; now long since gone. Other than the Bullet Proof Vest Partnership program there are "0", count them.."0" equipment only grants for law enforcement. All equipment they obtain has to be part of a larger "project" making the equipment necessary to complete the scope of the project.You complain about the complexity of the AFG application to fill out? Try a LEA grant complete with Performance Measures.

4.) Snappy New Uniform- First off there are no grants for those snappy new uniforms. Most of us had to buy them ourselves along with our own pistol, leather goods and bullet proof vest. If we were lucky we got our first set of 5 uniforms given to us and after that we were expected to buy our own replacments about every 5 years. Uniforms cost us about $100 each so in our average 20 year career we would use 25 uniforms or about the same cost as one set of your bunker gear which you will use for 10 years and probabaly did not have to buy yourself and if you were lucky you got Uncle Sam to fund your new bunker gear with a grant.Oh and BTW, I washed, laundered and pressed every one of those uniforms at home; no uniform benefit or laundry service either.

5.) Volunteer or unpaid- I was OIC of our reserve/auxiliary contingent. We had 15 officers who paid for and attended the 800 hr police academy on their own time, used their own POV and gas. They then paid for their own uniforms, badges, guns and leather. They had to agree to give 16 hours per month on shift and other than being provided workman's comp insurance, never received one thin dime from the taxpayers in my city but, which allowed our taxpayers to not have to add any additional manpower in more than 15 years. Don't even begin to talk trash about not volunteering or getting paid.

I think its pretty petty for you to start casting stones at law enforcment who are tax funded and who in most cases are prohibited from fundraising or accepting donations. You know you have a dangerous job that you perform and I am thankful that you run into the flames that we seek to flee from but lest you forget, when that sniper or mentally deranged person opens fire upon you at a fire scene and you are safely behind the cover of your 15 ton behemouth fire engine you expect me to run into that very gunfire. When you child is lined up in the sites of some sociopathic "active shooter" at the local elementary school I am sure it is me that you want to jump into that line of fire and save your child, not a fireman in a set of bunker gear.

My friend you have chosen to be a public servant and for that you deserve my respect and honor but, you dishonor yourself and brother firefighters and your fellow public servants in blue by implying that their safety needs are any more important than your own or that their needs are met in an inequitable manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. Have you forgotten that 60 law enforcement officers died at WTC along with their bretheren from the fire service. Have you forgotten that there were 173 LEOs killed in LOD in 2011 and that Florida where I live lost 14 LEOs last year alone?

I woud remind you that if you don't have a job you do not pay the IRS in payroll taxes which is where this grant money comes from. The economy and unemployment effects not just Federal grant money but also local and state funding of public safety functions.If your city is not taking in property taxes, it cannot pay salaries of PSA employees. If your residents are not working they cannot afford to donate to you.

I would suggest that you owe a apology to those of us who wear dual hats and served our communities honorably and faithfully just as you do.We are not approaching the trough any more often than you are and we all must share in the scraps being tossed our ways, lest we both perish!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 03-24-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Hey Kurt, not for nothing...but not all PD stories are like yours. My PD salaries (for a town of 1.5sq miles) START at $57k. After 4 years, they are at $75K. They then jump to $95k. There are half a dozen over $100k.

There has not been a shot fired since 1975.

and that is pretty common in my area. So.....ya.....not happy that PD get any part of our grants.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones42 point taken but I have also seen FF salaries topping out at $100K up in your neck of the woods also.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Not too many paid FF's within 20 miles. Asbury Park is the only paid department in the area. Couple of paid guys in the Jackson area, mostly for daytime coverage. My entire county, one of the largest in the state...has less than 10 paid departments and about 75 volunteer.

Can't think of a PD that does not have all the equipment they need, lots of stuff they just want, and nothing older than 7 years. Granted....I see big differences in needs and demands between FD and PD...but for them to try and get "in" on fire grants......not sitting well.

And no...for anyone....I do not have police envy, I don't hate police, etc. Many of my good friends are cops. There is no ill will.

Forum Member

I agree with Bones -if you think there is a level playing field in the funding - you are in denial.
    ?

Thread Information