Thread: Fear of heights

Forum Member

Default Fear of heights

Hey guys,

Does anyone else here have problems with heights? I've been on a few 75' ladders, done whatever I needed to fine and got off the ladder ok. But my legs always get a bit shaky when I'm up that high (don't like roller coasters too much either :-P).

Any ideas on how to face this fear/overcome it so that it doesn't slow me down any?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I wouldn't call myself afraid of heights, more like aware of heights. I know when I'm at them, but they certainly don't impact my ability to do the job.

If you think you fall (no pun intended) into the same category I wouldn't sweat it too much. But that said, see about getting some more time on ladders, roofs, whatnot to become more comfortable. Not from calls, but in your down time, training, drilling.

If you think it's more than that, you may need to reconsider some things.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck going forward.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

climb ladders till it is second nature, and do it safely

Forum Member

I agree with both. The first couple times being up 80 or so feet (especially on a breezy day) can be a bit unnerving. But, the more time you spend in those situations the more it becomes second nature.

Forum Member

This video will make a 75' ladder look like a stepstool. Enjoy, and keep a hanky close by for your palms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Back In Black

I always tell people that I'm afraid of heights... in reality, my body just has a reaction to being up high. Folks are also surprised that it doesn't stop me from climbing and working at some nice heights (even bungee jumping) As others have said, if you work on it you can overcome.

My knees knock, but I am very confident on a ladder or roof and actually jump at the chance to cut a hole or climb.

You have to challenge your fears and gain confidence in your abilities, tools and motion. Start low and go higher as you get more confidence.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

The best way to overcome it is to put yourself in the position where you become uncomfortable. Learn to trust your equipment and your coworkers. You can overcome it, but it takes work. Good luck to you
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    The best way to overcome it is to put yourself in the position where you become uncomfortable. Learn to trust your equipment and your coworkers. You can overcome it, but it takes work. Good luck to you
    This. Getting out of your comfort zone is how you become comfortable.

I don't like heights much myself. Quite a few of the guys I work with don't either. Not as uncommon as you think. There's always room for more engine guys.

Forum Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys... There is some great advice here. Thanks!

Forum Member

It seems the higher you climb the aerial the closer you get to the ladder; almost hugging it. I was with my son one day when we were hiking to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite. The last leg is going up the back side where they have cables set up during the season.

As we were climbing a young lady was trying to back down. Her boy friend had gone ahead. I asked her if she wanted to go to the top? Yes, she answered. I told her I was a firefighter and a sky diver. With a few simple instructions she could make the ascent. First, don’t look down. Try and establish a rhythm using smaller steps if needed. Visualize yourself making it to the top. I reminded her of these ideas along the climb. As we got to the top, she ran to her boy friend with hugs and kisses. Hey, I was the one who was the hero, right?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I was afraid of heights for a very long time until my husband (who is a firefighter) made me train with him. He climbs those 75' laters like its nothing! Thanks to him I am no longer afraid..lol

Forum Member

I was afraid at the beginning but after climbing several ladders I got used to heights and I think it will help you too.
    A TEFL online and TEFL online course is a great way to learn how to teach.

Forum Member

110ft platform climbing at 70 degrees no sweat. 75ft straight stick at 45 degrees shaking in the wind gets me a bit more so when I stop the climb.

One thing that has helped me is doing some indoor rock climbing. Just getting used to heights will help a ton. Spend as much time as you can on the ladder or at heights. Best thing for ya
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Wall climbing has worked well for me.

Forum Member

I was reluctant of levels for a while until my partner created me practice with him. He increases those 75' laters like its nothing! Thanks to him I am no more afraid.......

Forum Member

I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of falling from heights.

I don't have too much experience with heights but I think if I know the ladder is safe, then it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I work in fast food currently to pay the bills and my store has a 15-foot ladder that's broken at one end so it tends to open a bit at the bottom. When I climb to the top, I get nervous because the thing is falling apart.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Thread Information