Like Tree4Likes

Thread: When is a probie no longer considered a probie?

Forum Member

For those of you that have a probie book if you could give me a rundown of how its set up and what skills you have in it. Our academy is done in April and 4 of us will be moved from recruit to probie status. Since we are a small dept with an average of a little over 100 calls per year this sounds like something we could use to help us retain the skills we learned in the academy. Thanks fellas

Forum Member

Generally you are a probie until you have completed the 1 year probationary period and all required training, but just because you have made it past that period does not mean you have gained the full trust of the rest of the crew, case in point, new probie makes it through the 1 year, full member, first call as a full member performs poorly, all talk, back at the house, he leaves as soon as the truck is in the bay, does not turn a hand to pack hose, restock the truck so he has ZERO no respect from the rest of my crew, I have 13 years on the job, im the last one to leave the station after a call, this guy has a lot to learn if he wants the respect from the rest of the house. Just because you dont have the "probe" title does not mean you are not the "probie" in the veterans eyes

Forum Member

We called ours Rookies........and you could have 25 years on and still be "The Rook". That happened at one of our Stations one shift. All had 26 + years on except one who had 25......he was "The Rook" for that shift.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I graduated FF1 back in July and only had a 3 month probation due to me being in the FD for 3.5 years prior because the of Explorer program. Even through out my probation, I acted like a senior member like going out of town, being on first truck and being on the nozzle/can seat. It is whatever your chief/peers mandate it to be.

Thread Information