Like Tree5Likes

Thread: arlington tx hiring

Forum Member

Yes it did

Forum Member

Keep this thread alive! The process is moving quickly.........1.5 mile has already been completed.

Anybody have any ideas on how many people are left in the process? There were some people in my batch that failed. Also....do the bib numbers correspond with the rank of an applicant by any chance? I talked with some people and it seemed if they scored higher, they had a lower bib number. Maybe just a coincidence...

Next thing is PAT and then interviews!!! Any suggestions on the kieser sled?

thanks!!

Forum Member

I believe i counted about 15 or 16 total people who failed the run...an average of 5 per group. So thats around 235 left in the process if you assume all 250 made it to the run and the orientation. Im ready to knock this PAT out the way I know that

Forum Member

Awesome, Cap!

I'm sure some people didn't make the run or orientation so...all the better!

Forum Member

absolutely!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drakemmiller View Post
    Keep this thread alive! The process is moving quickly.........1.5 mile has already been completed.

Anybody have any ideas on how many people are left in the process? There were some people in my batch that failed. Also....do the bib numbers correspond with the rank of an applicant by any chance? I talked with some people and it seemed if they scored higher, they had a lower bib number. Maybe just a coincidence...

Next thing is PAT and then interviews!!! Any suggestions on the kieser sled?

thanks!!
    Find a dept around that has a sled that will let you practice and give you pointers

I thought arl had practice days in the past???

Forum Member

Guess they do not practice anymore

PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST
    APPLICANTS WITH PHYSICAL OR MEDICAL CONDITIONS OF ANY NATURE SHOULD:
    1. CONTACT THEIR PHYSICIAN BEFORE TAKING THE PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST TO DETERMINE IF IT IS ADVISABLE TO
    TAKE THIS TEST.
    2. WITHDRAW FROM THE PROCESS IF THEY HAVE ANY CONDITION OR LIMITATION THAT COULD ENDANGER THEM
    IF THEY PARTICIPATED IN THIS TEST.
    The City of Arlington, the Arlington Fire Department, its agents and employees do not assume any responsibility for an applicant’s health or medical condition or the effect that this test could have. Further, The City of Arlington, the Arlington Fire Department, its agents and employees accept no responsibility or liability for any injury an applicant might receive during the test. This test should be considered strenuous physical activity and as such carries a risk of injury, not limited to strained muscles, scrapes, scratches and/or bruises.
    Timed events include: Rescue Maze, Aerial Ladder Climb, Charged Hose Drag, Equipment Carry, Ventilation Simulator, Body Carry and Ladder Raise. Review pages 9 – 12 of this packet for further explanation and time limits for each event.
    Location: Fire Service Training Center, Tarrant County College (Northwest Campus), 4801 Marine Creek Parkway, Ft. Worth, TX 76179.
    Eligible candidates will attend an orientation followed by the actual test. The cost is $30 payable to TCC directly.

Forum Member

I personally can't wait till Wednesday. Ready to be done with the PAT and moving on to the interviews.. the PAT should knock out a lot of people... I'm all for team spirit and all but this is a competition....

Forum Member

So are we scheduling interview times right after we pass PAT or how is that going to work?

Forum Member

there is no practice PAT for this years test.....the PAT seems to be pretty easy. first two parts should be a piece of cake.

rumor on the streets is that this year is going to be a fairly big class compared to other years.

as far as panel interviews go...i believe you schedule those after the PAT.

anybody test with AFD before? how were the interviews like?

Forum Member

Hey guys, how is everyone doing in the PAT? Passed mine this morning and so glad to be done with it and moving on to next step. Heard some folks got eliminated the first day. Good luck to those still in the process.

Forum Member

Took mine yesterday. Passed. Some guys ahead of me were eliminated.. Can't wait till the 10th...

Forum Member

took mine yesterday as well and passed! got the panel interview scheduled!

hang in there everyone...we've reached the final stages!!!!

Forum Member

any idea on how many people are still left in the process?

I think last year they moved about 190 people to the panel interviews.

Anybody with previous testing experience have any tips/info on how AFD does their panel interviews?

Keep this thread alive..................this is one of the best FDs in the DFW area!!

Forum Member

KEEP THIS THREAD GOING!

The physical agility tests are now over!! Anybody have an estimate how many people are left??

Forum Member

I know 7 were eliminated on ladder climb on Wednesday don't know about after that. Know of one that didn't show up for the run because he misread the website, and 3 didn't show up to orientation.

Forum Member

the ladder definitely got some people.

gtcaptain2, any advice for the interview stages??

thanks so much!! i'll be coming from california so i want to absolutely do my best!!

stay safe.

Forum Member

the ladder definitely got some people.

gtcaptain2, any advice for the interview stages??

thanks so much!! i'll be coming from california so i want to absolutely do my best!!

stay safe.
    check the city and department web site, learn a little about both

Forum Member

Hello drake, so u have been flying back and forth from Cali? Wow! What made u pick Arlington? Most people who fly down from other states test with the bigger departments like Dallas or Austin. This is my first time going through the process with Arlington so really don't know what advice to give for interviews but the studying the website is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtcaptain2 View Post
    Hello drake, so u have been flying back and forth from Cali? Wow! What made u pick Arlington? Most people who fly down from other states test with the bigger departments like Dallas or Austin. This is my first time going through the process with Arlington so really don't know what advice to give for interviews but the studying the website is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the department
    gtcaptain2,

I've been back and forth recently. im moving to texas and have family in the DFW area so I'm looking for a good DFW dept...I just left my dept in cali so now just looking for a new gig in Texas. i'll look into their website.

anybody hear anything about AFD? good department? how's the pay and stuff? It's a huge paycut for me but then again, a house in TX doesn't cost 300,000+ lol!

Forum Member

gtcaptain2,

I've been back and forth recently. im moving to texas and have family in the DFW area so I'm looking for a good DFW dept...I just left my dept in cali so now just looking for a new gig in Texas. i'll look into their website.

anybody hear anything about AFD? good department? how's the pay and stuff? It's a huge paycut for me but then again, a house in TX doesn't cost 300,000+ lol!
    I do not work for arlington, but has always been a great dept, has a great chief running the show, and his asst chiefs under him are of the same caliber.

AS far as pay, I think they are comparable to most in dfw, I do know some pay a little more.

I think they are up to 17 stations, and forgot what I heard the total firefighters were the other day, but good chance for promotion.

BUT, once you are eligieble they have off duty crews working the Texas ranger games and stuff going on at jerry world, so plenty of off duty pay, plus plenty of oppurtunity to work second jobs in the dfw area.

just hot here, no moutains, ocean is 7 hours away, and desert is in oklahoma, but as you say houses are cheaper, plenty of land to buy and build outside of dfw, and the only traffic there is in dallas city!!!!!!!

Forum Member

pay scales

http://www.arlingtontx.gov/employmen.../fire_2912.pdf

http://www.arlingtontx.gov/employmen.../fire_2080.pdf

they use to match defered comp, up to a certain per cent, which was nice, not sure if they do it any more

Forum Member

Yes as fire555 said, plenty opportunities to make extra money by picking up extra shifts, working ranger and cowboys games at like $30-33/hour, and plenty of part time gigs u can pick up in Dallas area as well. So the $ won't be an issue bc it's there. Plus with all the retirements now is a great time to get in bc it will be easier to promote. Friend works for Arlington and absolutely loves it.

Forum Member

Hey guys,
    New to the thread. Passed all the tests so far. Does anyone have any pointers on what the interviews were like in the past?

Thanks

Forum Member

keep it going folks! this is a fast process.............................interviews start on the 10th..........im scheduled for the last day (12th)....

looks like its a decent paying dept not to mention a lot of OT opportunity!!

its been asked before...but...if anybody has advice for the interview, please share!

Thread Information