Forum Member

Default Prince Georges County, MD 2012 Firefighter/EMT

Name:  29w0opf.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  63.4 KB

Process will open on 4-6-2012 and closes on 4-20-2012.

follow the link below to apply

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/pgc...FwddxPacket%3E

Below are the links to the 2010 and 2011 hiring...it would be wise read threw it if you have any questions on the hiring process or what the department is like...

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...closes-5-20-11

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...ghter-EMT-2010

Good Luck to all!!!
    Last edited by SeagraveBaby; 04-07-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many they're planning on hiring this go around?

Forum Member

Look at their Facebook page. It has some budget info on it.

Forum Member

Thanks. Looks like they plan on hiring 50 new recruits this year, judging by the FB posts

Forum Member

the process is now officially open...good luck too all.

Forum Member

Default test date

Does anybody know when the test is?

Forum Member

Nevermind, its May 16

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fbdream View Post
    Nevermind, its May 16
    Where did you see that?

Forum Member

Minimum Qualifications:
    Applicants must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) recognized by the Maryland State Board of Education; must be 18 years of age by the written exam date (May 16, 2012); must have a valid driver's license at the time of application and be able to establish employment eligibility in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 after conditional employment offer.

Forum Member

What FB page is everyone looking at?
    KNOW YOUR JOB.
    DO YOUR JOB.

Forum Member

Any emails yet?

Forum Member

No emails here, besides the "application received" one. And the page is the 'Official Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department" page. If you scroll down enough posts you'll find one with the 2012 budget in it.

Forum Member

If you check your government jobs account they have a listing of the steps and passing and failing of steps

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone. If you have any questions, let me know. I went through the process last year.

Forum Member

Has anyone gotten the CPAT Orientation date email yet? They said at the test we would hear something in about two weeks.
    KNOW YOUR JOB.
    DO YOUR JOB.

Forum Member

Rumor is the Orientation is June 12...

Forum Member

Has anyone received the results from the test?

Forum Member

Received an email a few days ago saying I passed with a 91.2 and then another email with CPAT info. How did everyone else do?

Forum Member

Nice Work Engine.. That's a really good score.

Forum Member

Thanks mini. From what Iv read though your score on the test only really helped you advance to the cpat. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed on the other threads as if things like prior experience and certs (EMT) carried more weight in hiring than did test scores. I do not have any experience with this process so perhaps I am wrong.

Forum Member

The process in PG is a little bit different that other places. Everbody who passes the test gets a shot at CPAT. The only prior experience that helps you is EMT or Paramedic. College helps you as well. Your test score does stay with you. With a score in the 90's you're pretty set on going through the entire process as long as there is nothing bad in your background. The best information I can give you with no experience is look up some oral board questions. When you go on your interview, that's were the already having fire experience would help.

Forum Member

Engine, that is a great score. Higher than anyone here posted last year. Somehow mine managed to fall over 7 points from last year. Of all the tests I've taken, which granted is not nearly as many as some have, that one is by far the strangest. I suppose I have to agree that it pretty adequately levels the field for everyone. I also think though that the way it is written (vocabulary, sentence structure, readability etc.) could lead to people accidentally doing better than another person. I think there's entirely too much subjective psychology involved for a civil service test. To me it almost sacrifices intelligence for "how do you feel about..." I understand there's a significant people skills aspect to the job but I feel that that particular aspect of the job is misrepresented on the test as opposed to the ability to apply knowledge, synthesize particular information, or even demonstrate understanding of a given topic.

In addition to EMT and P as well as having college, the biggest advantage I think you need for PG is to have or get CPAT as early in the process as you can. I recall people talking last year about them ending interviews a couple weeks after the final CPAT date. Assuming that minimally 50% of the candidates either waived the practice sessions, or didn't pass either of the practice sessions and were counting on the final run, it didn't seem to me there was much interest in interviewing those folks. The Chief of Training last year announced at the CPAT overview that 120 or so test-takers already had passed the CPAT. If you are looking for 60 or so positions as they were last year, you already have somewhat of a decent pool of candidates to pick from. Now lump in maybe 100 or so who passed the first CPAT practice run. Well now you're pulling 60 from 220 or so. That's 1 good candidate out of 4. That shouldn't be too hard to pull off. Mind you its merely my assumption of the situation and I could be miles off base. I don't believe that way of doing it is entirely equitable, but I suppose if its their prerogative well then that's up to them and I'm not going to put my bib and diaper on and say its not fair. It's my job to do my best to be able to pass the first practice run is all. Sorry for the rambling fellas. That is all.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice mini. The oral board was the thing I failed to mention in my last post. From my understanding the oral board is the do or die part of the process and your score you take away from the oral board, for the most part, determines your spot on the hiring list. I have fire experience but do not have any experience with oral boards. From what I've read on the other forums it seems like they ask situational based questions?
    Jasper I do agree with you. I have taken this test once before, not in PG, and scored an 87. This time around, I did not feel like I did any better. Perhaps it was a matter of answering a few personality questions differently. I do also agree about having the CPAT in early. From what I've also read on the other forums, the guys who had there CPATs in early seemed to be at an advantage and go through the process much quicker. I am very fortunate that I already have a valid CPAT from another jurisdiction. I wish you the best of luck.

Forum Member

New to the forum. I also took the PG test. That was a crazy amount of people but i would say everything was very organized.

I also got a 91 on the test and sent my cpat to the recruiter assuming that was the right place to send it to.

Good luck to everyone as this long process goes on.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking for a personal trainer in the DC area that is specifically geared towards CPAT testing take a look at www.wildfireadventures.com. I ran the recruit training, CPAT testing and several other programs for Washington DCFD. DCFD does not currently have classes in session nor are we testing. Iíve tested several hundred applicants and know what is needed to pass the test. If youíre looking to get in shape or have a specific goal in mind such as CPAT take a look at the site. I'm doing the trainig in College Park.

Thread Information