Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Yes, to clarify I have none, except for the one 5 years ago, that appear on my record. I know this because I must pull my record for my current employer, which is a 3 year record anyway. All others were found not committed. I am currently starting at a volunteer department and am going to proceed, based on what I have seen on here and what firefighters around here have told me. I'm going to be honest and disclose everything, and I understand it may keep me from getting on at a certain department, but the consensus seems to be with other things attesting to my character (military, lack of criminal history/drug history) that I will get hired eventually. The chief i talked to said, if they want you they want you, and most likely dismissed tickets wont change that if your that far in the process. Thanks powerhourcougar for the encouraging words. I appreciate the input guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Egress,
    As was pointed out above, background packets often state: Have you ever been charged with or had contact with law enforcement.......I agree that the tickets being thrown out are to the OP's advantage. Having said that, he was still stopped and cited multiple times for the same offense. Even IF they were thrown out, this still demonstrates a pattern of disregard for the law. Remember, background investigators are looking for patterns. Once they identify one they dig deeper.
    In this example, it sounds like he went through a period of immaturity and he has corrected it. IF this is the only blemish on his record I would not expect it to become a problem. If, however, he has conflicts with employers, coworkers, a history of moving around to multiple jobs, it may indicate a pattern.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 03-31-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I could be possibly reading this wrong, but it appears the OP has NOT learned his lesson because within the past 5 years he has still showed disregard to the law. The ticket from 5 years ago was the ONLY one he paid, although he has recieved other tickets between then and now, but those were thrown out. Which ultimately I feel will have a negative effect towards his background.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not read it that way. I read it that the OP only was mandated to pay on one ticket, not that they were outstanding. I think he is in the clear as far as being delinquent on paying the tickets.
    Like I have said in my previous posts; if the OP has a clean record other than being stopped (a bunch of times) a number of years ago, he should not have a problem. If this is a symptom of a larger pattern of issues, he may have some difficulty.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by futurefighter15 View Post
    I am worrying about it now because if I do all of those things and then find out that this is going to keep me me from being hired, then I will have wasted a lot of time and resources. I am willing and able to do those things but I want to at least have hope that my goals are plausible.
    Just give up now and save us all alot of time. What are you looking for? The magical answer? You've had a lot of speeding tickets over 5 years ago. Maybe it will count against you, maybe it won't. No one knows except for the deptartment you are trying to get hired by. Own up to it during the hiring process and don't make B.S. excuses for you behavior. Very, ver few of us don't have skelotons in their closets. Most of have done things when we were younger that we would not do know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EgressOne View Post
    I could be possibly reading this wrong, but it appears the OP has NOT learned his lesson because within the past 5 years he has still showed disregard to the law. The ticket from 5 years ago was the ONLY one he paid, although he has recieved other tickets between then and now, but those were thrown out. Which ultimately I feel will have a negative effect towards his background.
    Maybe you should set aside your "feelings" and allow his future to be determined by the decision makers he encounters in his respective testing processes.

Do you have a god complex?

Are you hired?
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 04-02-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Thread Information