Forum Member

Default Background Check/ Driving Record Question (Different from the rest) Please Help.

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading and learning. I have just finished my transfer degree and am about to start volunteering and getting my EMT. I have a clean driving record as my last ticket that I paid was almost 5 years ago. I do however have multiple tickets that I contested and were thrown out. My question is, will this be a problem when I am trying to get hired. I have read a lot of mixed things on this area and found nothing on this specifically. My father who was a firefighter told me that I'll be fine, and given my military background, lack of criminal, and drug history, as well as clean driving record for insurance purposes that I will be good. My question is will these even come up? Any experience is appreciated. If it makes a difference I am in the Puget Sound area in Washington.

Forum Member

some of this can be found in the forum, I asked a similar one a few weeks ago. No matter what all tickets will show up on a background investigation... no matter if it was contested or thrown out. (depending how "deep" they go).. From my exp, now I'm not hired but am going through a TON of process here in Indiana, they do ask. all the apps I have filled out have asked about any speeding ticket, i tell them about the ones that were "thrown out" b/c I don't want to be told I'm "lying" even though they are not on my record. In my last interview they asked me about my tickets and I was flat honest with them. I am happy to say I moved on in the process and am very high on the list. My advice.. slow down.. use your cruse control.. DON'T ANOTHER ONE! As far as volunteer dept, as long as their insurance covers you, you should be ok. Don't get anymore and that will show maturity later down the road when you apply to career depts. I hope this helps!!

David
    Last edited by David5351; 03-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=futurefighter15;1322282] I have a clean driving record as my last ticket that I paid was almost 5 years ago.[QUOTE=futurefighter15;1322282]
    I had one ticket and one accident all more than 5 years ago and it didn't seem to be a problem, I disclosed it and was hired (in Puget Sound area). But that being said, every department is different. I tested for 2 years before I was hired and the best advice I can give is just test. Worry about one thing at a time. Don't stress your background or psych till you get there or you'll just get all spun out. This forum is good but take it with a grain of salt. This is a very tough area (NW) to get picked up so take the shotgun approach to testing and just immerse yourself in the process and become a master through experience. Good luck!

Forum Member

Let see your were cited but they were thrown out??? Charged and not convicted. But many of the background forms will ask have you ever. It's the reasonable explananation that can make the difference.

I served 5 days in Santa Rita Prison for drag racing. Yes, I put it on my application. Because if you don't and they find out, you're gone. In my oral board, I was asked about this. I told the panel, "That since that incident, I had been in the army, married, children, the situation hadn't occurred again, and had been on my job for 9 years. I was a stupid kid then. It's hard to believe this really had happened. One of the captains asked, "Mr. Smith are you trying to get go around this problem and ignore it?" Here's the "Nugget" answer; I said, "No. If I was trying to do that I would have never put it done on the application." He was done with that question.

When I got my results for that test, the number placement wasn't on the notice. When I called, the personnel lady told me, "Well, Mr. Smith, you're number one. Not only are you number one, you're five full points ahead of number two!" It was having a reasonable explanation prepared in advance that becomes your "Nugget" answers that makes the difference.

That question and the "Nugget" answer probably helped me, not hurt me. It catapulted me past the other candidates at light speed, and did indeed get me my badge!

KCFF84 wrote:
    Don't stress your background or psych till you get there or you'll just get all spun out.

I don't agree on this one. For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, criminal record, credit, driving record, psych evaluation or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face at the next step in the hiring process. They have waste time and treasure.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-17-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I wasn't found not guilty, technically because theg were all non criminal. Just standard speeding 70 in a 60 or incomplete stop etc. I am targeted a lot for riding a sport bike. My lawyer would go and contest the ticket and get the citation dismissed entirely. So as far as explanations for each ticket, I have none. My question is if my record of actual infractions is good am I hirable, or are all those cases gonna stop me. And should I bring them up ahead of time even though they were thrown out? I don't think that they can claim I lied about anything as I was found to have not done anything wrong in court. I want to know if I can even get hired or if its most likely a non issue because they were all DISSMISSED.

Forum Member

My understanding is that you were originally cited and most applications ask "have you ever recieved a speeding ticket'. Even though after contesting the infraction the ticket was dismissed, you were still given a ticket originally. Where I live, as long as you show up to court to contest a speeding ticket, the judge 90% of the time throws the ticket out. You still have to disclose though because technically you did recieve a ticket.

Forum Member

Ok so when it asks you that does it make you write out every single one or just yes or no? Also if I disclose the tickets and say that they were all dismissed, is it likely going to disqualify me or since I am still insurable and have a clean record will I likely be ok? I really want to know before I spend the next couple years pursuing this. If there is a good chance that I'm hirable then I am ready to pursue it all out.

Forum Member

Why don't you worry about it when you can pass a written test in the top 10%, can speak proficiently enough to get a passing score in an oral, have a combined score to get considered for the rule of 3 and then make it to background and then maybe the Chief's interview.... And to answer your question; on the job posting it should list the automatic disqualifiers, so if having been cited for speeding is on that list then don't apply.

Forum Member

I am worrying about it now because if I do all of those things and then find out that this is going to keep me me from being hired, then I will have wasted a lot of time and resources. I am willing and able to do those things but I want to at least have hope that my goals are plausible.

Forum Member

Start looking online at some applications and you'll be able to see how each application asks the question related to prior speeding tickets. On the applications I have filled out, usually it asks "charge" and "disposition". That is where you can say "10 over" and "dismissed".

It is completely up to each department on what they will accept or not. Usually they tend to look at frequency, amount, and how long ago was the last one. Usually a few minor speeding tickets, especially if the last was 5 years ago, isn't an automatic disqualifier. Believe it or not I personally know of more than 1 person whom was hired on well known departments with DUI's on their records, granted they were comitted 5 years prior and their record has been clean since, but it can be done!

Forum Member

Futurefighter15,

I know a guy that was hired with a criminal record. Seriously. These guys who've been the process will know more than I, but from everything I've learned, be up front about it and dont lie. The last ticket I got was over 5 yrs ago, so I'm not worried about it. I'm more worried about just getting to the interview than anything, to be honest.

Forum Member

The last background I filled out ( in the NW) asked me to list ALL tickets and their outcome. As its been said you'll be asked about your tickets at some point and it's not all about insurability. Just my two cents, but I also think they're looking at the type of person you are.

Forum Member

ok well i've had probably ten tickets. When I look on the applications/ job postings it seems to just say how many tickets can be on your record, some are a point system. I don't see any that say a certain number of citations disqualifying you regardless of outcome. So is it just a list and find out kind of thing?
    Any background investigators on here have any insight as to whether or not this would stop me up.

Forum Member

......and the truth comes out. SMH! In all honesty 10 tickets is ALOT, that shows a serious pattern. Even if all of those were indeed dismissed, you still were at fault enough for an officer to issue the original citation. What kinda time frame are you looking at from 1st ever ticket issued, to the last one being 5 years ago? How old were you when you received these tickets, the last one, and how old are you now? The only thing I see you have going for you is the "5 years" since last offense....but the pattern of disregard for the law (10 tickets) shows that you didn't learn your lesson and correct your mistakes after even the 4th chance. So even if 5 years have passed....there is a GREAT chance you can relapse.

Forum Member

The last one I paid was about 5 years ago none of the tickets since then have held up. I have been a valet for 3 years however and drive other peoples cars in a very affluent area ( Ferraris, porsches etc) and I do not drive unsafely with other peoples vehicles/ on the job. I am not a reckless driver, verifiable by my employer. So basically it comes down to a character thing with the tickets, as I understand it. With my military record/ history of following orders on the job, lack of criminal history, and good on the job record of responsibility regarding driving, can this be balanced? Or am I just doomed because I have those tickets that were thrown out? I really want to be a firefighter and I know that I can test well enough to do it. Should I move forward or not? BTW, I appreciate the insight.

Forum Member

I nor anyone else can say whether or not you're doomed. The only one that will make that decision is the department you're trying to get on. The interesting thing is, you said the last ticket you PAID was 5 years ago, none have stuck since. The problem is you apparently haven't changed your ways as you're still being pulled over and ticketed. It may not be on your record, but that shows you still haven't learned your lesson. THAT'S what might trip you up. Only my opinion and I've known and heard of people getting hired with worse. So I personally wouldn't give up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by futurefighter15 View Post
    I really want to be a firefighter and I know that I can test well enough to do it.
    Dude you are getting spun out on completing the final lap before you even start the race. Its a fact of just applying to the departments that don't auto-disqualify candidates with driving histories like yours and just trying. There really is no black and white in this process one guy could get hired with a dui on the record above a guy with a spotless record. Chances aren't real good but you never know. Why don't you spend less time worrying on a forum and sign up to take pst. In the NW you don't have many openings and you have a lot of very qualified competition with a lot of testing experience. Go get your toes wet and spend less time worrying. Or just give up if you think your record could be a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the deal. Being stopped by the police 10 times is a red flag. It shows a person has no regard for the law. Even if they were thrown out, they will still PROBABLY appear on your driving record (don't quote me on this). So, regardless if they were thrown out or not, this raises the question of how you respect the laws. I would expect a background investigator to dig deep and look for patterns at work such as not following the rules, showing up late, not being in proper uniform - anything consistent with someone who believes that the rules do not apply to him.
    The good thing here is that you said there has been nothing within the last 5 years. If this is truly the case, you are able to say that you have grown up and now abide by the rules.
    I think you get my point.
    Last edited by BCLepore; 03-31-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

BCLepore

The original poster stated "none of his tickets have "stuck" since 5 years ago", which to my understanding is he has had 10 within the past 5 years, but those were all the ones thrown out. The one 5 years ago was the one he was officially fined for.

Forum Member

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading and learning. I have just finished my transfer degree and am about to start volunteering and getting my EMT. I have a clean driving record as my last ticket that I paid was almost 5 years ago. I do however have multiple tickets that I contested and were thrown out. My question is, will this be a problem when I am trying to get hired. I have read a lot of mixed things on this area and found nothing on this specifically. My father who was a firefighter told me that I'll be fine, and given my military background, lack of criminal, and drug history, as well as clean driving record for insurance purposes that I will be good. My question is will these even come up? Any experience is appreciated. If it makes a difference I am in the Puget Sound area in Washington.
    I had quite a few tickets in my background, and a few other skeletons - I was hired with no real issues and am doing well in my career.

Don't believe anything you encounter on these boards until you can confirm it with your own research and experiences.

Forum Member

Yes, to clarify I have none, except for the one 5 years ago, that appear on my record. I know this because I must pull my record for my current employer, which is a 3 year record anyway. All others were found not committed. I am currently starting at a volunteer department and am going to proceed, based on what I have seen on here and what firefighters around here have told me. I'm going to be honest and disclose everything, and I understand it may keep me from getting on at a certain department, but the consensus seems to be with other things attesting to my character (military, lack of criminal history/drug history) that I will get hired eventually. The chief i talked to said, if they want you they want you, and most likely dismissed tickets wont change that if your that far in the process. Thanks powerhourcougar for the encouraging words. I appreciate the input guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Egress,
    As was pointed out above, background packets often state: Have you ever been charged with or had contact with law enforcement.......I agree that the tickets being thrown out are to the OP's advantage. Having said that, he was still stopped and cited multiple times for the same offense. Even IF they were thrown out, this still demonstrates a pattern of disregard for the law. Remember, background investigators are looking for patterns. Once they identify one they dig deeper.
    In this example, it sounds like he went through a period of immaturity and he has corrected it. IF this is the only blemish on his record I would not expect it to become a problem. If, however, he has conflicts with employers, coworkers, a history of moving around to multiple jobs, it may indicate a pattern.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 03-31-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I could be possibly reading this wrong, but it appears the OP has NOT learned his lesson because within the past 5 years he has still showed disregard to the law. The ticket from 5 years ago was the ONLY one he paid, although he has recieved other tickets between then and now, but those were thrown out. Which ultimately I feel will have a negative effect towards his background.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not read it that way. I read it that the OP only was mandated to pay on one ticket, not that they were outstanding. I think he is in the clear as far as being delinquent on paying the tickets.
    Like I have said in my previous posts; if the OP has a clean record other than being stopped (a bunch of times) a number of years ago, he should not have a problem. If this is a symptom of a larger pattern of issues, he may have some difficulty.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

I am worrying about it now because if I do all of those things and then find out that this is going to keep me me from being hired, then I will have wasted a lot of time and resources. I am willing and able to do those things but I want to at least have hope that my goals are plausible.
    Just give up now and save us all alot of time. What are you looking for? The magical answer? You've had a lot of speeding tickets over 5 years ago. Maybe it will count against you, maybe it won't. No one knows except for the deptartment you are trying to get hired by. Own up to it during the hiring process and don't make B.S. excuses for you behavior. Very, ver few of us don't have skelotons in their closets. Most of have done things when we were younger that we would not do know.

Thread Information