1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Question need new dry hydrant

    After checking our oldest dry hydrant we have found that it is rusted out. It in a small river that now its age is maybe 1950s. Its a very good water supply for the small town. I guess what im asking is dose anyone know what needs to be done paper work wise or who to contact (gov wise) to put in a new dry hydrant. or is there any ideas to fix it. Knowing that its not the 1950s and we cant do what our elders done before with out big brother waching.

  2. #2
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003


    We have 72 dry hydrants in my volunteer county. Most of them have been converted to from 6" to 8" PVC and provide us excellent flows and low maintenance.

    Of course things are going to be different from state to state, but you might check with your state forestry department, as they may have resources to assist you, such as grants or installation guides. Perhaps your state fire marshals office could assist also.

    In case you're interested, here's an article that Larry Davis and Fire-Rescue magazine did about our dry hydrant system a few years ago: A Dry Hydrant Success Story. It might provide you some ideas. Unfortunately, you don't get to see any of my station's pretty yellow rigs in the article...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffmedcbk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003


    i highly concur with that article. great stuff from larry davis.

    also don't pass up the fact that draft hose can be used anywhere ther is access to some water. map it, detail the lengths needed to get the draft, and pass on the info. departments in our area are using google maps to mark out the area and some members have it saved on the smart phones as well as on the mdt's. get as many drafting hydrants as possible but also designate as many drafting points in you district as you can.

    with iso you need to designate it, get approval letters from property owner, and have a engineer certify it for it's 50 years of a drought survey to get credit. find the municiple/county engineer to help through that.(iso #'s do matter but company/department performance are way more important)
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The hydrant guy
    By jcasscles in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
  2. Hydrant ID Help
    By vitamaltz in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
  3. Dry hydrant
    By RDL210 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2005, 01:56 AM
  4. dry hydrant
    By sklump in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register