Forum Member

Default Need Some Advice Regarding Employement & Career Advancement

Hi All,

OK, bear with me on this, but I just want some advice on things so I know I'm on the right track.

As I said in my introduction post, I'm a college graduate who wants a career as a firefighter. I am also in the military, and am leaving for training tomorrow for several months. From what information I've gathered, here is my plan so far. Please realize some of these are pipe dreams, as I don't know the truly "realistic" aspects of accomplishing some of these tasks (though if it's within my ability, I'll damn well try):

I plan on obtaining my EMT IV certification at a local community college when I return from training. The program here lasts 2 semesters, one Fall and one Spring. While attending classes, I plan on joining a local volunteer fire station for the duration of my schooling.

Once I have EMT certification and some volunteer firefighting experience, I would like to apply as an actual firefighter. I would like to do this in a big city for several reasons: 1. I feel I would have more opportunities in a larger area, 2. I'm trying as all get out to leave the city I'm in, and 3. I'm not a fan or rural areas. My preferences are NYC and Atlanta- Atlanta seems more reasonable (I live in southeastern TN), but I would love to live in NYC.

When I go to enroll in a fire academy (which I know is very competitive), they will hopefully be looking at a potential individual who: has military service, is EMT certified, has a college degree, and has volunteer firefighting experience.

Once again, this is all theoretical. What is unrealistic? What else do I need or not need to successfully become a firefighter?

Thanks again guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urban0627 View Post
    Hi All,

OK, bear with me on this, but I just want some advice on things so I know I'm on the right track.

As I said in my introduction post, I'm a college graduate who wants a career as a firefighter. I am also in the military, and am leaving for training tomorrow for several months. From what information I've gathered, here is my plan so far. Please realize some of these are pipe dreams, as I don't know the truly "realistic" aspects of accomplishing some of these tasks (though if it's within my ability, I'll damn well try):

I plan on obtaining my EMT IV certification at a local community college when I return from training. The program here lasts 2 semesters, one Fall and one Spring. While attending classes, I plan on joining a local volunteer fire station for the duration of my schooling.

Once I have EMT certification and some volunteer firefighting experience, I would like to apply as an actual firefighter. I would like to do this in a big city for several reasons: 1. I feel I would have more opportunities in a larger area, 2. I'm trying as all get out to leave the city I'm in, and 3. I'm not a fan or rural areas. My preferences are NYC and Atlanta- Atlanta seems more reasonable (I live in southeastern TN), but I would love to live in NYC.

When I go to enroll in a fire academy (which I know is very competitive), they will hopefully be looking at a potential individual who: has military service, is EMT certified, has a college degree, and has volunteer firefighting experience.

Once again, this is all theoretical. What is unrealistic? What else do I need or not need to successfully become a firefighter?

Thanks again guys.
    Most big cities on the East Coast (I know FDNY for a fact but dont know very much about Atl) could CARE LESS that you have prior experience either as an EMT or as a firefighter. There is ZERO preferential treatment or consideration. In fact, the absolutely very best thing you can do if you are hired in Boston, FDNY, Newark, Philly, Baltimore, etc is forget everything that you have ever learned as a volly or even as a career ff in another jurisdiction for that matter. Keep your mouth shut and pretend that you dont know one end of a hoseline from another. Many of these cities also run you through their own training program- therefore you should know where you would like to get hired before you pay for and attend a private training program, as it will only be wasted money and time for many eastern big cities.

I am sure you are aware that competition for jobs is absolutely cut-throat. Your military experience will get you 10 points on the civil service exam in Philly, and I believe something close to that in FDNY. Dont hold your breath to apply at either city anytime soon- You missed Philly's test by about 6 months, and FDNY will be tied up in court and it will be YEARS before they can test again. Do yourself a favor and learn all you can about Atl's hiring process and put your efforts in there.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information