Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grants 101

Forum Member

Default Grants 101

Curious about grants. I know there is a lot of money to be had out there but it seems our department isn't working as hard as it could to get it. I understand that grants can be difficult so I would love to hear how to get started and look up available grants. Maybe a quick walk through of how they work and what is required.

Thanks.

Welcome to the new world of grants.
    Yes there is money out there to ask for.
    No it is not easy to find the correct program to meet your needs. There is a lot less federal money available than in the past. There are many other places to search out funding
    You need to get educated in the process of grantwriting to be really successful.
    There are several folks that hold classes around the country to teach the process.
    Check for Kurt or Brian's schedule on the seminar thread.
    Best money you will ever spend.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Not sure how far south in GA you are but Brian is having a class just west of Nashville this Saturday. The info is in the seminar location thread

You can find my schedule here: http://firstrespondergrants.com/frg_classes/class_list . Feel free to give me a shout if you woudl like to discuss this further 863-551-9598.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

You, sir, are in the right place.

Just be prepared to gain a world of knowledge, because this bunch has it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Kurt, not a fan of the South I see? I am sure that there being so many more Volunteer departments in the north that that is the place to be...

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSims View Post
    Kurt, not a fan of the South I see? I am sure that there being so many more Volunteer departments in the north that that is the place to be...
    Actually, born and raised in Florida; can't get any further South than that on US mainland! I beleive you are referring to my lack of classes in the South and that my friend is entirely up to those who request to have classes presented at their departments... go figure!!!!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

While there are more departments in the north, that also means we both get more requests to be up that way. Unlike many other companies both Kurt and I go where we're invited, neither one of us can afford to just book/reserve spots and hope people show up. Travel and training budgets are getting cut so few have the funding to attend even if we're in the area. I believe most on these forums would agree neither one of us are charging ridiculous amounts for writing or for workshops so we're not rolling in the dough but we also can't grow broke either. I can't afford to lose money scheduling and traveling to classes that we get low attendance, that's why we all have minimum requirements. Kurt can chime in on what he's had recently too, but I've had several calls from AL, LA, and GA about hosting but no one wants to host in many cases, and in others we didn't get any interest in coming. It's the old horses and water thing. That's why I've been writing more apps and doing fewer workshops, folks just don't have the travel money to come learn. Just the nature of the economy.

Could not agree more Brian, I get people asking me all the time why we never do any classes in the South and the answer is always the same... someone has to ask me to do one first and have enough interest in the area to get 10 people to attend so I can justify my travel costs. I can tell you, and I am sure Brian would agree, that many that do spend a little to travel and get educated have not regretted that decision and have recovered their costs to do so, many time over since attending. Lets face it, there are not many things that you pay for out of your budget that actually end up returning money to your budget.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information