Forum Member

Default North Las Vegas Lateral

Did anyone apply for the North Town Lateral/FF or Lateral/Medic?

Any insight on how long the lateral academy will be? what the fitness test will consist of?

Please do not discuss the budget, or how bad of a choice it is to work at North Town, or that who ever gets hired will be laid-off....etc...

Thanks!!

Forum Member

I applied as well, but haven't heard anything as far as the next step in the process. All I know is that the application period was extended which usually means NOT A LOT of people applied. Good news for you and me I guess. Oh yeah, word is through the grapevine (take with a grain of salt) that NLVFD has such big budget probs they may be absorbed by Clark County FD.....it is just a rumor but thats a good one to be!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDCbeans View Post
    I applied as well, but haven't heard anything as far as the next step in the process. All I know is that the application period was extended which usually means NOT A LOT of people applied. Good news for you and me I guess. Oh yeah, word is through the grapevine (take with a grain of salt) that NLVFD has such big budget probs they may be absorbed by Clark County FD.....it is just a rumor but thats a good one to be!
    The applications were extended because the system for applying was down. I kept getting an error when trying to apply, so I called and asked. The cities entire online application website was jacked up for like a week. At first they were allowing people to just email the resume and certs, but then just ended up extending the recruitment, which ended up messing with all the proposed dates for testing etc.

As far as CCFD taking over, I haven't heard anything about it. I was talking with a NLVFD engineer yesterday, he didn't mention it. He said they were understaffed and the union and city have agreed to things and that is why they are looking to finally hire. hopefully after the physical year, which is in June or July. Maybe, he isn't in the loop though, who knows....

I will post up any news.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFfiredog View Post
    The applications were extended because the system for applying was down. I kept getting an error when trying to apply, so I called and asked. The cities entire online application website was jacked up for like a week. At first they were allowing people to just email the resume and certs, but then just ended up extending the recruitment, which ended up messing with all the proposed dates for testing etc.

As far as CCFD taking over, I haven't heard anything about it. I was talking with a NLVFD engineer yesterday, he didn't mention it. He said they were understaffed and the union and city have agreed to things and that is why they are looking to finally hire. hopefully after the physical year, which is in June or July. Maybe, he isn't in the loop though, who knows....

I will post up any news.
    Yeah I have a few friends that work at CCFD, who they said the state is probably gonna be taking over the NLV budget (as in the entire city), obviously when something like that happens, the county would then take over the city of north las vegas....again, this is just a rumor but if it did happen yoiu'd get a significant pay bump right away considering NLVFD starts out at 15k+ what CCFD does for the same position. As far as the original question goes with testing and academy stuff....what did the engineer you sopke to have to say?

Forum Member

He didn't have any information about the FF skills/EMT Skills or fitness test. HR didn't even have any information about it. They said we would be notified once decisions were made on dates and exactly what we were being evaluated on regarding the FF skills and medical Skills assessments etc. I am sure its just basic skills stuff with a FF skills obstacle course or something, who knows....

Man, if the county took over the FD, I would be wondering about realignment and staffing numbers, if CCFD would be over staffed once a consolidation took place.... you should see if one of your CCFD friends has any insight on this.

Forum Member

Got an email inviting me to test in May, anyone else? Any more info if this is just for list or if actually hiring? Thanks for any info!

Forum Member

I just got the email yesterday as well. From what I've heard, they are going to hire because QUITE a few people left after being pink slipped so many times throughout the past couple of years. How many they intend to or will, I have no idea. I'll post it as I find things out.

Forum Member

I also, along with the people that I know, got the email.

No news yet on what the fitness and the skills assessment will be.

They ARE going to hire from this list. NLVFD is short almost 30 people at this time. Itís just a matter of when. First, the union and city need to re do concessions because the ones currently in place are set to expire in June or July.

Forum Member

Testing process starts monday! good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

NLV is testing?!?!? Wow, I had no idea! Good luck to those testing!!

Forum Member

Ya, its a Lateral Recruitment that was cancelled and then re started. So, I am going to check out the test and see how it all goes... Hopefully the city will get their stuff together and the FD can move forward and hire. They are like 40 guys short...

Forum Member

Looks like North town is moving forward with the Lateral Hire. I got a call from HR today to schedule the Chiefs interview. They are looking to hire 3 FF EMTs.

Thread Information