Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ffmedicintheCLE

Thread: Question on ranking and information sharing

Forum Member

Question Question on ranking and information sharing

So this is going to be about as cut and dry as I can make it. I'm on a list, high up on the list. This department has hired quite a few off the list and I know from talking to the guys on this department that I am next to get hired. (the last guy they just hired was the number right above me) So I called the fire department and spoke to the secetary about giving them an updated BLS card (since mine expires this month). She asked my name and says, "Yeah, that would be good to get us that since you are really high up on the list." I asked if I was next in line (this department goes right on down the list, 1, 2, 3, etc) and she said "I can't tell you if you are or not but you are defineatly right there." and she stressed the right there part.

Now for the comment/question...why is it like this? There are a lot of places that don't give you postions on the list, answers to the simplest of questions about the process, next step(s), etc. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? It seems like I am coming to the end of this long, drawn out process of trying to find a full time position and it has frustrated me ever since the start. I'm sure I'm preaching to the coruir here but I just wanted some pointaint conversation about it or at the very least waste time talking about it.

and for a side note (if anyone really cares) I've heard from multiple line guys that I am for sure next on the list to get hired because they have hired everyone before me and a couple of guys on the list took jobs elsewhere. I know what number I am exactly and what numbers they have hired off the list and what numbers took jobs elsewhere (advantages of working in a ER and talking to the fire guys) but I don't want to give it all out in case I blow it and don't get it...

...not a for sure thing until I clock in on that first day at the station...

Forum Member

1. sometimes the dept may not know how many they are going to hire, as in our case we started off with six, and a month later ok to hire four more

2. sometimes as you are seeing the process can drag out for a long time

3. and as you see some people drop out for various reasons, so that kind of messes with the list

4. put look at other private jobs and in a awy you are getting more information about the hiring process than a lot of jobs

A lot of departments interview on the rule 5+1, plus ties. That is if there is one job, they interview 6 applicants. If there are two jobs, they interview 7 and so on.

Being up near the top doesn't mean you are going to be hired next. You may not do as well as you think on the interview and others may smoke you.

I also wouldn't be calling the Chiefs Office and bugging them. The secreatry was dead on by asking who you were. She'll pass that on to the one doing the next interviews. I can tell you from experience that folks who call wanting to know "When am I going to get an interview and hired" are always known, when their names does come up.

Forum Member

There is one person who could keep you from getting hired. Who do you think that is?

You're creating sea monsters. This is common. The best way to gain your badge is to stay off the phone and stop talking to anyone who will stand still to listen to you.

You can't do anything more at this time. I know it's frustrating but this is the hiring process.

You don't want to be quickly be know as the candidate the couldn't wait and be patient. How can they think to put you in a station and drive everyone crazy like you're doing now?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I also wouldn't be calling the Chiefs Office and bugging them. The secreatry was dead on by asking who you were. She'll pass that on to the one doing the next interviews. I can tell you from experience that folks who call wanting to know "When am I going to get an interview and hired" are always known, when their names does come up.
    The OP wasn't calling to bug them, he was calling to update them on his current info. A lot of depts require this for you to remain eligible for hire. I think he gets that he isn't supposed to call them just because he's tired of waiting and wants to hear something.

I think his main question is legit though. What's the harm in saying we just hired #1-6 and are waiting for the approval for 3 more hires later this year?

My personal opinion is that it's spillover from the private sector, where a lot of HR personnel have experience and training in. Like fire49 said, you don't get much if any news unless you are hired on. It's probably boils down to a CYA thing legally.

Good luck getting on. You're definitely "right there".
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

just to clear up the muddy waters...I had my chief's interview and the next step in the process is the physical and drug screen, no more interviews. Yjbrody hit the nail on the head. I know my BLS card is up this month and I don't want to get passed over because I didn't update them and let them know I am scheduled to renew it. Since I was on the phone I questioned what was going on in the process and got a general answer. I did call once about a week after my interview to know what the next step in the process was and when it might happen. I was told it was a physical and drug screen and it wasn't known when it would happen. This was back in December when I had my chief's interview. I'm not on the phone every week calling to see what is going on. I know better than that. It's not like they will magically say one day, "Oh, glad you called because we want to offer you a job!" It doesn't work like that but I think updating them, especially on things that WILL make a difference in a job, is different.

Also Yjbrody is right with why can't they say "We've currently hired 7 off the current list and we have the potential to hire more due to grants, retirements, expansion, etc." It would be nice to know that OK, they have hired 7 and I am 10 so i know what I can whittle off the list. Yeah, some departments don't go right down 1, 2, 3 etc but in my case, they are. What's the harm in just giving a general answer like that? I think that if I knew that they hired 7 and I am 10 that I can get a better idea of where I stand and what is going on. There is just seems like there is such a vail of secerecy around civil service testing.

Also I know that the waiting is the hardest part...
    Airlinepilot2FF likes this.

Forum Member

Is there going to be a psych evaluation as part of the physical?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

no on the pysch eval for here. Thats the other thing that I don't quite understand. Every process is different. No standardization. There is a standard to be a firefighter or EMT in both the nation and state(s) but to become a firefighter/paramedic there is no one way of doing it. Some do pysch test, drug tests, physicals, stress tests, etc. and some just do one or two. I know a lot of it comes down to money and cost but isn't there some sort of bare mininum?

Forum Member

Is it for Cleveland?

Forum Member

no. city just outside of cleveland

Thread Information