+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fieronfire
  • 1 Post By FFEMT3634

Thread: Newbie going on first ride along

Forum Member

Default Newbie going on first ride along

Hey guys,

Brand new to the fire service, just started my fire protection classes and am in an emt class. I have my first ride along on Saturday and the captain and crew im riding with are friends of a friend so when i went to talk to them it seemed pretty informal but i do want to make a good professional impression. i was thinking my emt class uniform would be a good thing to wear, a white short sleeve button down, dark blue pants and black boots. sound good? also, any good tips to get further on their good sides? any good etiquette suggestions?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iantww View Post
    Hey guys,

Brand new to the fire service, just started my fire protection classes and am in an emt class. I have my first ride along on Saturday and the captain and crew im riding with are friends of a friend so when i went to talk to them it seemed pretty informal but i do want to make a good professional impression. i was thinking my emt class uniform would be a good thing to wear, a white short sleeve button down, dark blue pants and black boots. sound good? also, any good tips to get further on their good sides? any good etiquette suggestions?
    Skip the EMT class uniform. Wear some dark shoes, black slacks and a solid color button up or poloshirt. Your attitude there will be noticed more so then what you're wearing. I would bring some treats of some sort as a peace offering and to thank them for having you. Be respectful and ask lots of questions. Sir, m'am, please and thank you will go a long ways. Offer to help in what ways you can.

Have fun!
    WannaBeMedikFF likes this.
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

X2 on skipping the uniform. You are not an EMT so don't present yourself in any way that anyone, fire crew or public, can mistake you for one. Just dress nicely, but prepared; dark slacks or clean blue jeans, black work boots, and either a dark collared polo or a dark work type button down.

Next, I'd say skip the ride alongs unless prescribed in your class work(one or two are okay to get a bit of a feel for the job, but don't become a fixture at the station). Too many buffs and sparks ride along, then after the academy think that it counts as something. You'll probably just end up with preconceived ideas about how things should work, or bad habits. The best probes are always the guys who knew the least about the fire service before entering it. Focus on your classes, and you'll be alright.

Everyone else has pretty well covered your questions, but if you're starting in the morning, bring donuts. If you're there around lunch or dinner time, ice cream and/or cookies or brownies are usually a big hit too.

I would say if your going to do a ride-a-long, try to at least wear something similar to what the guys wear...we recommend our riders to wear navy pants and shirt with black belt and black shoes/boots...and I'm assuming its something that got started at fire academy but they always bring a dessert with them.

Just remember that you are there to observe, be a sponge and soak up everything they tell you and enjoy yourself.
    WannaBeMedikFF likes this.

Thread Information