Forum Member

Default Top Mount Pump Refurb

Just a question for curiousity's sake. We currently have a '90 E-One engine with a 1500 GPM Hale top mount pump. Due to the ever rising prices of new apparatus, we are looking into possibly refurbing it in the next 5-7 years. Our other 2 pieces of apparatus are side mount pumps and we like that setup better due to the climbing up and down all the time.

Would it be possible to change the existing top mount pump into a side mount pump? Would it just take turning the valves and adding push/pole levers? Has anyone done this or seen this done? Is it a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Enterprise Fire Co. of Hatboro, Pa. did just that. They had a Pierce top control engine from the mid 80s which they sent back to Pierce about 10 or so years ago for a refurb. Part of the refurb was to convert it from top control to side control. I believe they still have it.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Baldwin, NY recently (within the past couple of months) had 4-Guys of Meyersdale, PA refurbish a Mack MR/RD Murray from a top-mount to a side mount as well.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I believe E-One was using a manifold at the front of the pump at that time. If so, all of the valves would be in the same line from side to side. This would create some headaches when it is time to rod them. You might end up taking the manifold off and using the normal discharge locations. Still do-able.

The main discharges would be a snap though.

Forum Member

That is correct on the front manifold and I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Enterprise Fire Co. of Hatboro, Pa. did just that. They had a Pierce top control engine from the mid 80s which they sent back to Pierce about 10 or so years ago for a refurb. Part of the refurb was to convert it from top control to side control. I believe they still have it.
    Yes, Enterprise still has this piece I believe. Give them a call if you have any questions, Chief's name is Fred Zollers. (215) 675-4040. Drill night is Weds I think.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Contact E-One rebuild guy with you you SN. Major mfg should be able to pullup prints and easily tell you what is possible/cost effective. One major advantage of buying from a large mfg is they know years later what the built.

Thread Information