Forum Member

Default Anybody from Dekalb or Atlanta Fire?

I had a couple of questions about both of these departments.
    First, I've heard that Dekalb county has more call volume than Atlanta, Is this true? and if so How many more calls do they run?
    Which Department gets more fires a year?
    What is the busiest station in each of these departments?
    How do the busiest stations in each place compare to each other?

Forum Member

I dont know any thing from about Dekalb beside they are busy. I worked for Atlanta for 3 years and was stationed at a busy Paramedic company. At that time Paramedic Enigine 15 and Paramedic Engine 2 where both very busy companies. I dont have any hard numbers just my personal experience. When I ran with 15's we would average between 15-18 calls a day, last year i was there Engine 15 had 5,400 runs that year. I talked to a few on the guys i used to work with and fires have been on the increase in Atlanta in the past couple years. Station 15 is a double house with a tiller ladder and an engine. Also has Battalion housed there. I know its not exactly what you wanted but may help a little. Whats the PCFD for? Possibly Peachtree City Fire Dept??
    Last edited by firefighter1406; 03-29-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Forum Member

You hit the nail on the head man. Peachtree City Fire Department Explorer Post 209.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work for DeKalb and know a few people on Atlanta. I do not know the hard numbers in terms of run totals or fires for both departments. But both have very busy companies and both have slower companies, just like any metropolitan department.

-Atlanta has 30 stations with a population of 420,003 and 132 square miles.
    -DeKalb has 26 stations with a population of 691,893 and 270 square miles.

In terms of fire, DeKalb is more likely to get in on jobs because of 4 less stations and being more than double in size. Also, DeKalb has more apartment jobs than Atlanta.

Forum Member

in Atlanta you get to play in the mud sometimes, so that should count as a plus.

Forum Member

I stayed there once in a Holday Inn Express.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

why are you asking about these departments? Are you possibly trying to get on with them? If so, Why?
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

If your considering departments to work for Clayton County should be another to look at. although smaller in size, 14 stations, you would be just as busy there as Dekalb or Atlanta and Fight JUST as much fire with better outcomes Clayton covers 120 SM and has a pop of about 320,000 or so.. My bro works in Dekalb along with my uncle (inlaw) and I know several Atl fire guys. I work in Clayton and LOVE it.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

Dekalb is busier. Dekalb fights more fire. Dekalb has its own set of problems, just like anywhere else, maybe more so.

There are plenty of Dekalb guys that work full time at Peachtree City. Talk to them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TillamanTrk1 View Post
    why are you asking about these departments? Are you possibly trying to get on with them? If so, Why?
    Just out of curiosity really, I'm just trying to find out information about departments in Georgia. My dad's military, so I've lived all around the country. I like Georgia, I also enjoyed living in Florida. Destin Fire, and Miami Dade are some other's I'm interested in to, just trying to get a glimpse of what's out there.

Thread Information