Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Training in West Virginia

Hello Everyone. I know they may not be the place to ask this, but I figured I could get some help on where to post it.

I am 19, and live in Florida. I am attending EMT school in the Summer at Seminole State College. I plan on getting my N-EMT which I know it's national everywhere now. My question is, I've been wanting to love to West Virginia right after that. Do you know of any good training locations in West Virginia? How is the hiring rate there? I hope to get a job as an EMT so I can gain some sort of knowledge while training up there. Any help is appreciated and I just want to say that this seems like a great community of firefighters helping others out and nothing is better than that.

Thanks everyone in advance again!

OSD122

Are you looking for an EMS only job, or trying to become a career firefighter?

It would also help to know where in WV you are planning to move.

Forum Member

Why would you ever want to move to WV? I have a bunch of family there and I can't imagine wanting to move there.

Forum Member

I want to become a career firefighter, and I will be moving to the Charleston area.

I want to move there to go to school and meet new people. I hate it down here in Florida and I have family that I can live with up there.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by Firesafetybear View Post
    I want to become a career firefighter, and I will be moving to the Charleston area.

I want to move there to go to school and meet new people. I hate it down here in Florida and I have family that I can live with up there.
    If you are not already aware, there are not a lot of career departments in WV. Of those who are, the economy hasn't been that kind to them.

Your best bet would be living in the Pan-Handle region around Martinsburg, and getting a career job in Maryland, or Virginia.

Forum Member

Hey FireSafety I went to the Central Florida Fire Academy in 2008 and after becoming certified I moved to West Virginia and got on with the Charleston Fire Dept in 2009. After I was hired in Oct. 2009 the city went on a hiring freeze and has been on one ever since. They recently started accepting applications for Medics only. They are having a lot of cut backs so I would look elsewhere. I would try maybe Clarksburg, Parkersburg, or maybe Morgantown. I'm in the process of trying to get on with a department in Florida so that would open up a spot in Charleston lol. Be prepared to wait awhile though if you want on with them. Best of luck!!!

Thread Information