Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flashlights????

Forum Member

Default flashlights????

my department is considering buying the streamlight survivor c4 led flashlights for everyone on the department. just wondering everyone opinion on them are they an good or are they trash?

Bought my own last year and I love it and other guys at my department are considering buying one. Bought the one that runs on 4 AA batteries and it worked great then decided to upgrade to the rechargeable and keep the 4 AAs as a backup. Great light overall though. Long battery life, very durable, and extremely bright and pierces smoke very well.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have been using Survivor flashlights for almost 20 years, they are durable and reliable flashlights. My career FD just outfitted everyone on the job with the rechargeable led ones. The latest generation of led has a much more focused beam than before.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I second the first two responses, my department issued them to the newer apparatuses and I got a personal one for Christmas. They are very durable and bright!

Have one and love it.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

The best Anglehead flashlight for the fire service on the market, period.

Streamlight no longer makes Halogen versions, they are all LED now. But they are very well made, super bright and very reliable.

The AA Battery pack feature is great. Considering AA Batteries are the most common type of battery out there and they are lightweight. It's a much cheaper option then keeping spare rechargeable battery packs around fo those super long calls. The rechargeable battery is heavier but still very manageable. If you are going to install charger racks in the rigs, then go with the rechargable versions. The only downside to rechargeable batteries is they must be kept charged. If you leave the light off the charger for days on end the run time will be diminished.

Forum Member

I've had one since they first came out and they are a great light. Weird story about the first one I had, I found by accident that the 800mhz walkies would make the light go off and on when you keyed the mike if it was next to it. I called Streamlight and they were unaware of that problem. They actually sent a rep out to my station and I showed them. They determined the electronic switch would be activated by the radios if they were within 4-5 inches. They redesigned their switches and sent new lights to everyone at my station that had the original lights. A minor problem, but they got right on it.

Forum Member

thanks everyone this is great info i will pass it along to the cheif

I love mine with the AA battery option. Great flashlight, however I just noticed that the bezel on mine is developing a crack. This is with limited use too and not dropping it or bashing it on anything that I recall. I'm going to send it in when it cracks all the way through and isn't water tight. Also another FF in our dept had probs with his switch not working after a cold and icy call. Don't know if it fixed itself when it was at room temp though.

I've heard good things about their fix/return/exchange policy though so hope it's not a problem.

Just my experience...
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I have the AA one. I love it. It is extremely bright and pierces smoke well. It is one of the best flashlights I have ever owned.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

So I don't sound redundant, it is a violation of forum rules to advertise on the forums.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I just looked over a Spartan Shield Light and could find no UL or MSHA certifications for hazardous environments.

Also, I know many officers who are not particularly fond of the helmet mounted lights. Whenever they get their guys together at night everyone looking at them is also shining a light in their eyes.

By the way, flogging your product in forums looks kind of cheesy. Especially on a site that sells advertising for a living.

I'm just chillaxin' now.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Problem solved.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information