Forum Member

Default KCFD in for a bad time...

The Kansas City Council adopted a budget Thursday that slashes $7.6 million from the Fire Department but does not spell out how those cuts will be made. Council members voted 12-1 for the new $1.3 billion budget, with the majority maintaining that the department can get by on less money without seriously jeopardizing public safety. City and firefighters union officials mus t now negotiate how many jobs will be lost, and the stage appeared set for a showdown with Local 42, which represents most of the department's 1,300 employees.

A $7.6 million dollar cut and public safety won't be jeopardized?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The worst part is, when someone gets seriously hurt or killed because of manpower cuts, and station closures we'll be labeled shameless, opportunistic, and greedy in our "I told you so" moment, rather than the populous asking the pols why they didn't listen to the experts. Good luck, KCFD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    A $7.6 million dollar cut and public safety won't be jeopardized?

Because coward's in the fire service tell the elected officials this lie, so they can keep those cool golden bugles they have on their collar. I know I could swallow cuts in my own backyard better if they would at least admit its going to affect the quality of service. This garbage about public safety not being affected is garbage, and now we're finally starting to get some scientific studies showing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, it's been in the news quite a bit, they were originally talking of letting go over 100 Jakes and dropping staffing on their rigs. Looks like a rough time ahead for the KCFD Brothers.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

By the rule of thumb I usually use, that's 15 companies worth of raw manpower losses. That's contingent on just where they are able to cut.

Anybody know what kind of percentage the cut amounts to? That will say a lot more than just the $7.6 million figure.

Regardless, it's a bad thing. It's hard to get back to even (ie, where they are right now) when the cut is that big.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I don't know about 15 companies, I'd cut that number in half.

Forum Member

I love how when a city needs money they take it from the People that keep them safe first..
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

And the Kansas City administration is taking how much of a cut????.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Because coward's in the fire service tell the elected officials this lie, so they can keep those cool golden bugles they have on their collar. I know I could swallow cuts in my own backyard better if they would at least admit its going to affect the quality of service. This garbage about public safety not being affected is garbage, and now we're finally starting to get some scientific studies showing it.
    I totally agree with you. I have no doubt those chiefs haven't put on turnouts in at least a decade and could care less about the safety of their subordinates.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Just curious....but what is the total FD budget and what percentage of it is this cut?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

It's unconscionable that over and over those who have been called Brother, can lie and make such false statements that public safety won't be affected. Truly if I were a City Councilor and the fire chief who'd been in his position for any amount of time came and said he could cut with no affects, I'd want him fired for bilking the city for the time before now? If public safety won't be affected, then you have to be overstaffed/over-equipped to begin with which is misuse of tax dollars. Since we know that's not the case 99.99% of the time, these cowards should be totally ostracized for these statements and publicly shown to be what they are.

It's too easy for fire chiefs to be hired as hatchet men or politically swayed into making the job more dangerous for our personnel and the public. They must be held accountable, we should be publishing lists of these cowards and making them known. Cutting companies, brownouts or failure to grow as necessary are all having a negative impact on public safety and the safety of our members.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Might want to read the following.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/01...will-harm.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Good to see a Fire Chief telling it like it is. I suspect or hope that there are more of them doing the right thing than not, but it seems like we see the cowards more often than stand-up guys.

Forum Member

nice to see at least one chief is standing up for his guys, seems to be pretty rare lately.

Forum Member

I am curious if other departments are being cut and how by how much. Is everyone sharing the pain?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keenque View Post
    I am curious if other departments are being cut and how by how much. Is everyone sharing the pain?
    Six engine companies shut down, four truck companies closed. Most non sworn personnel laid off or, based on city seniority, relocated to other departments to fill in where people were laid off.
    Two company houses eliminated, overtime eliminated due to huge relief pool formed by the closed companies.
    Promotions halted, 14% pay cuts with more on the way, 96 hour furloughs just to name a few.
    Now they are going after our insurance and pension fund.

Several guys are or have lost their homes.
    3.4 million slashed out of the budget.
    City of over 500,000 with 64 on duty personnel daily with two working fires on average per day.
    Yeah, we're feeling it
    IAFF

the 4-1-4

Since 2002, department strength has been cut by 300 positions. An engine and ladder company have been permanently decommissioned along with two battalion chiefs, reducing us from seven to five. Four additional companies are "browned out" daily. The brown-outs will more than likely become permanent this fiscal year, with additional brown-outs on top of those reductions.

I didn't post this to take away from the plight that KCFD is facing. These are drastic reductions that they are staring down. These are also cuts that will most certainly affect the level of service the KCFD will be able to provide.

Forum Member

One of those moron newspapers, tried to justify the cuts in KC by linking to firefighterclosecalls.com's user submissions page. Their point was it's happening across the country, so it must be the thing to do. This country sure doesn't want to lose its superiority in fire deaths, injuries, and losses.

Forum Member

When on duty fire stations, apparatus and firefighters are cut, it will be interesting to see how that affects the ISO Rating. Some cities may see an increase in the ISO rating. You will hear property owners, especially commercial structure owners, screaming when their fire insurance premiums soar.

If that happens, we will see who had the bright idea on the city commission and/or city hall, to cut the fire department back.

Fire protection is an essential public service. It is a service, that can mean life or death for many people. If city hall need to make cuts, then NON-essential services need to be reduced first.

Forum Member

We did last year. We lost a Rescue Company, 2 Aerial Companies, and 2 Med Units. As well, brownouts for one of the above, to all three of the above if enough called in sick, or were on vacation. Instead of paying OT, they would brownout whatever they wanted. The effect was immediate when it happened: http://www.ketv.com/news/27591680/detail.html

OFD has been working without a Union contract for 4 (5)years now. It is a mess, legally and politically.

Snowball, we are just under 500,000 population. How do you guys survive with less than 100 personnel on duty???? Trust me, I feel for you and your guys, as much as I do our guys, and everybody else going through the Bull *****.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I could be wrong, but I think Keenque meant other departments within KC city government- DPW, PD, etc. Not "other departments" as in fire departments of FH.com members.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Keenque meant other departments within KC city government- DPW, PD, etc. Not "other departments" as in fire departments of FH.com members.
    You're probably right, but then this thread would have ended with that. Probably due to the fact that the only KCFD guy I remember hasn't posted here in years.
    IAFF

Forum Member

The article states that other departments of KC have taken cuts for the last few years while the FD has been spared. It also states someone mentioning they can't be spared the cuts anymore.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    I took the question the same way.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

the 4-1-4

Maybe those of us who responded read it to mean "other" fire departments because when the articles are actually read, about this topic, those articles quite clearly state that the other city departments inside of KC have been cut in previous budgets.

Thread Information