Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Smile SmartDock SCBA Bracket

I was looking for input on the SmartDock SCBA release system. Does it work as smooth as it look in some videos I've watched. Is there a better system out there?
    Thanks......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poochy View Post
    I was looking for input on the SmartDock SCBA release system. Does it work as smooth as it look in some videos I've watched. Is there a better system out there?
    Thanks......
    Check with the Smart Dock distributor for your area. Our distributor has a demo unit that they will install in your truck to see for yourself with your SCBA. They let it speak for itself on your SCBA in your truck....not sure if all distributors do it.

But we have a demo in one of our trucks right now. I am pretty sure it will not be removed from where it was installed.

Forum Member

We have 13 apparatus with then installed, all of them the second generation ones, and they work very well. Beats the heck out of getting that retaining strap stuck in back of you. If you strap in while responding and try to pull out of the bracket to quickly it locks you in until you slowly walk out of the bracket. The mechanism works like a seat belt when you pull too fast the inertia locks the bracket down. However, the biggest issue we see is that the cups that the cylinder valve has to sit in is very precise. There is no free play. When the SCBA is returned to the bracket you need to set the valve body in the base first then rotate the tank into the clamps. Guys are not paying attention to that and just slamming the tank back into the bracket, like it's the old spring clip style, and it is damaging the rubber bumpers on the valves. The reason this happens is because you cannot see the cup in low light or darkness because of where it is located. All in all they work well. I believe ours cost in the $700 dollar range when they were bought but that was when Pierce had exclusive rights to them and we had to go through a Pierce dealer to get them. Now they are available to anyone.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, like everything I'm sure it takes time to get use to change. I think the safety factor outweighs the negatives of not having a restraint system or the pull cord release type. It's nice to know ahead of time some of the things to watch out for before buying them. I believe our dealer can get them for us for around $600 each not installed. Thanks for your insight.

We've heard of some issues with then NOT unlocking with the Scott paks. May just be an adjustment issue,get all the info you can before going that route. I like the concept,but wouldn't like having my Pak,"locked in" when I want it out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    We've heard of some issues with then NOT unlocking with the Scott paks. May just be an adjustment issue,get all the info you can before going that route. I like the concept,but wouldn't like having my Pak,"locked in" when I want it out.
    We just purchased a new engine, and we use Scotts, and have had no issues to date with the units.

Most of the members seem to like them.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Do some research. You'll get some hits. This has been CONFIRMED by our Scott distributor

Thread Information