Forum Member

Default A little advice needed for life changing decisions..

Hi all im kinda new to this but I thought id give it a try and get some advice from those of you who have been through it all and have a little experience on you. Well I am planning to apply and test for a department in Texas and I currently reside in Arizona, the problem is that the job requirements for that dept. state that I could not have a Class A misdemeanor including deferred adjudication, which I do have. I gave them a call to see if it would be ok to test and continue with the process and they said that I could "gamble" on it. Now im not sure if I should spend the money on flights (about 3) back and forth, to go through the process, if I probably wont even pass the background check. So from an experienced person speaking could I have your opinion on it??

Also just know, I am certified with IFSAC seals for FF1/2, and Hazmat Operator/Awareness, I also have 7 years of FD Explorer experience, I have some college credits in Fire Science including a fire technology academy, and certified as EMT-B. This is my dream job and I wont ever give up on it but Im not exactly sure what I should do at this time, especially with a baby on the way and a family to support. Thank You

Forum Member

What was the misdemeanor charge?

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

It was for Criminal Trespassing, which sounds way worse than it actually is...we were doing a little "ghost hunting" in an abandoned house. It was disposed because of the deferred adjudication.

Forum Member

I think you answered your own question. If the job posting states that a class A misdemeanor is an automatic disqualifier, then you have your answer. Just curious, but is it Austin you're looking at?

Forum Member

I think it is Arlington, either way you are competing against so many people that do not have a classA

Suggest get paramedic and apply at other tx cities that have a time limit on class a

Now if you have the money to burn go for it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smoke_eater13 View Post
    It was for Criminal Trespassing, which sounds way worse than it actually is...we were doing a little "ghost hunting" in an abandoned house. It was disposed because of the deferred adjudication.
    How old were you? How long ago?

It sounds like you accepted a deferred referral to adjudicate the charges? What service did you have to perform for the deffered? Anything before or after this incident?

If they accept this on your application with the reasonable explanation like you have here they might let you take the test. Often it's the reasonable explanation that can make the difference.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Yes it's for Arlington fire. And it doesn't really state that it's an "automatic disqualifier" however it states that you may not have it when the background check comes around! And it kinda gave me a little bit of hope when the recruitment office told me that I could "gamble" my chances..would you think there is a chance if, let's say, I did well on my testing, physical tests, and interviews? Would any department overlook a "stupid" mistake and focus more on what you're bringing to the dept meaning the kind of person/firefighter you are?
    And thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the feedback!

Forum Member

@CaptBob, I was 19 when it happened, 2 years ago..only things since then have been positive..testing for fire departments, finishing college courses, moving to AZ to pursue my career, raising a step child! And I did a probation for 6 months and paid some fees and then it was dismissed! So giving a reasonable explanation may give me a chance? I know it wasn't too long ago but it was really a dumb mistake with no intentions of ever jeopardizing my career! Wrong place at the wrong time kinda thing!
    Thanks Capt!

Forum Member

So giving a reasonable explanation may give me a chance

yes plus a class A in one state may be a different level offense in another state

ok I give up if this happened in az how did it get to a Class A?

13-1504. Criminal trespass in the first degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the first degree by knowingly:

1. Entering or remaining unlawfully in or on a residential structure.

2. Entering or remaining unlawfully in a fenced residential yard.

3. Entering any residential yard and, without lawful authority, looking into the residential structure thereon in reckless disregard of infringing on the inhabitant's right of privacy.

4. Entering unlawfully on real property that is subject to a valid mineral claim or lease with the intent to hold, work, take or explore for minerals on the claim or lease.

5. Entering or remaining unlawfully on the property of another and burning, defacing, mutilating or otherwise desecrating a religious symbol or other religious property of another without the express permission of the owner of the property.

6. Entering or remaining unlawfully in or on a critical public service facility.

B. Criminal trespass in the first degree under subsection A, paragraph 1, 5 or 6 is a class 6 felony. Criminal trespass in the first degree under subsection A, paragraph 2, 3 or 4 is a class 1 misdemeanor.

Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion Fire49 but I lived my whole life in Texas, where this took place, but moved to Arizona thinking it would be better for my family, however it didn't really turn out as good as I though so now I'm planning on going back home to pursue my career there. Thanks for the research info!

Forum Member

than you know about the commission web site check it weekly

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

get on with a dept, and give them a year or two and than start looking again if you do not like where you ae at

but most in the north want paramedic

Thread Information