Forum Member

Default Oil/gas well SOP?

Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery, or something like that.

Our fire district has a high concentration of well pad sites. Most are small single wells with limited storage and treatment. However with the boom out west we have larger and larger operations going on line. Several multi well pads are in service with thousands, yes thousands more permitted in the next few years.

We've had our share of small scale incidents in the past but nothing major. I think that's due to the industry itself being very well run, at least up here.

Our dept does not have an SOP dealing with oil/gas well incidents. We have SOP's for absolutely everything else except this.

I'm looking for some samples, a base to build from. Got a good idea of what needs to be included but having a tough time with the format.

I tried to google search using several search words and terms. No luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Forum Member

The only thing we have done was upgraded our alarms to add a few extra pieces of apparatus, and for medical calls we must have at least turnout pants/boots on and helmets. We haven't had any incidents happen at our well sites yet and where this is all new to us we aren't sure ourselves what SOP/SOGs to come up with. But I believe the turnout pants and helmets is a good one for medicals because when we spoke with a site manager we were told in order for their workers to step on the grounds they need steel toe boots and hard hats.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

if you contact the bigger companies, they will come in and give you a class, and walk you through a site.

SOP

1. stop way away from well

2. get Binoculars

3. don't touch

4. call the emergency contact for the well and let them come out and bring thier help

Forum Member

We've already had a rep from the state agency that regulates the operations out for training. The instructor started as a roust about decades ago, worked all through the industry, was a former FF and now works as an inspector. He was an excellent instructor. That got the ball rolling.

Believe me, if I could the SOP would be that simple, rule of thumb. But it aint that easy, you know that.

Forum Member

What are you looking for? PPE for a general Oilfield Response? Standing Orders for apparatus response? What to do if X is Hurt in location Z? I Want to help you out but I need some more information. Remember with the Larger companies, Humans are right-offs.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Oil well sop? If it's BURNING or likely to be, three things come to mind: For the most part,you likely don't have nearly enough resources. Two solutionS: Adair enterprises or Boots and Coots Div of Halliburton. I'm sure by now there are others. We don't have wells around here but what I know of them is they can SOMETIMES
    be somewhat docile OR something you don't want to be within 5 miles of.I'll take option B.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 04-06-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Oil well sop? If it's BURNING or likely to be, three things come to mind: For the most part,you likely don't have nearly enough resources. Two solutionS: Adair enterprises or Boots and Coots Div of Halliburton. I'm sure by now there are others. We don't have wells around here but what I know of them is they can SOMETIMES
    be somewhat docile OR something you don't want to be within 5 miles of.I'll take option B.
    Wild Well Control Is another one too. This Past Summer I had the displeasure of having to work with them. Great guys awesome company I cant say enough good things about them. I hated that They had to be there.

Is the OP of this thread dead? I would like to know a little more about his question.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Thread Information