Forum Member

Default Physical Exam Question

Hello all,

I was curious if any pre-existing medical condition will disqualify me from being hired? My brother who is a captain in clark county had informed me that usually HR has the final say when they hire and they will not want to hire someone who is broken already. This medical condition is paroxysmal atrial fib and pretty much cured because I have not felt any symptoms for almost half a year now, after going to the cardiologist and getting medication. He has also agreed to write a letter stating that I am fit for duty if they time came for the physical exam portion of the hiring process. I haven't gotten a straight answer from any HR reps, but before I go forward in spending all my money for classes I wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on this? Am I doomed to not do my dream job? or do I still have a chance? let me know what you think! and thanks for taking the time in reading this, much appreciated!

Thanks!

Forum Member

Hey there.....yes there are conditions that will automatically disqualify people. Having said that, I'm not a doctor so I cannot tell you specifically if your condition qualifies. You can look up NFPA 1582 which is the standard for firefighter medical requirements. You can either go to the actual NFPA site and create a login to see the official document, or if you search it you can find drafts of the document. My suggestion is to see if your condition is listed in the disqualifying category (there are 2 categories - one that will disqualify you and another that they can work with as long as you are cleared) and go from there. At least you will have a general idea if your condition is considered a red flag. If it doesn't seem like a red flag, than you should keep testing!! I know it's tough because you really want this career...the medical is something that we all have to go through, and just hope for the best! An HR employee won't be able to help you... it is the doctor that does your medical exam that will either pass or fail you from that portion. Good luck, and again this is just some advice, since I'm not a fire department doctor.

Forum Member

Thank you again for the quick response! I looked up my condition in the NFPA standards for hiring and it stated that my condition is a category B. When the time comes, I will have my letter from my cardiologist stating I am fit for duty. Thank you again for your help! and I will never quit !

Forum Member

Under hippa or Ada you may not have to disclose it as long as you are not asked, can pass the medical

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    Under hippa or Ada you may not have to disclose it as long as you are not asked, can pass the medical
    Either one has nothing to do with a fire department pre employment physical.

Any thing wrong with you can be the cause that you fail the medical exam.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Either one has nothing to do with a fire department pre employment physical.

Any thing wrong with you can be the cause that you fail the medical exam.
    I think he meant if it's not something they catch during the pre-employment physical, there's no way they would know about the condition unless you told them. Unless you release the names of the civilian doctors you've seen and have released you're records. It's like military entrance processing and people with asthma. You don't have a condition they don't know about.
    It sounds like you've already told them about the condition. You say you no longer have symptoms, are they detectable?? If I recall correctly, this condition presents only occasional irregular heartbeat, sometimes very rarely? Will symptoms show in an EKG?
    Last edited by SVandro; 04-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
    Last edited by SVandro; 04-10-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Forum Member

I have not gone through any physical exam for the FD. Just testing right now, but wanted to make sure that I should still spend money on this career or not. It is only detectable by EKG, but it will only show, if I have the palpitations. So to be clear, I will only have to disclose if they ask if I have pre-existing medical conditions? and if so, will a note from the cardiologist be sufficient enough to continue on? That was my initial question. Thank you all again for your responses!

Forum Member

I would prepare for your a-fib to be found during a cardiac stress-test at the medical. Most medicals require you pass a treadmill test and most use the Bruce Protocol for that test. I would research Bruce and maybe consult with your doctor about it.

If you do make it to the medical and fail the treadmill, you can usually appeal your results. Most departments will allow a second test to be administered. Nevada may be different. I just know from both first-hand experience and experiences with friends.

Forum Member

they will see it on your insurance records most likely.

Forum Member

Isn't your medical record protected under privacy laws, unless you specifically sign a waiver releasing that information?

Thread Information