Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default How much percent of firefighters are short (Height) ?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows anyone that works for a Department and is short in height wise. Is it hard for someone short to get hired and when you go to an interview does that make an issue to the department to see if they wil hire you. Any feedback will help.

Anyone know how much percent of short (height) personal is in a department???

Thanks

Forum Member

I'm not completely sure how short you are talking, but as far as myself, I'm 5'8". In general, most of the people I've seen in my department are taller than me...however, I've definitely encountered many that are shorter.

Forum Member

I'm talking around 5'0 to like 5'5 ?

MembersZone Subscriber

The course coordinator for my paramedic class was previously a firefighter in Dayton, OH and he's 5'3".

Forum Member

You are only short as you feel

If you can get through all the testing and dazzle them in interviews
    You will get hired

I am not OTJ yet, but I don't think it would be a main hinderance to being hired. I mean if you were 5 foot tall I would say it would be hard but as long as you can pass the physical, I would'nt think it would be a problem. I would even venture to say that a shorter 5'6"-5'9" guy with a strong stocky build would have an advantage to some events than a taller, skinny guy. Your more compact and strong and your weight is more centered leading to an easier time with dummy drags, any confined space events, hose drag, etc. Ofcourse I could be completely wrong as well lol.

Only a Vollie right now and I am only 5'7''

I do know some short paid guys too. I really dont think its that big of an issue.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

KTF
    Forum Member

I'm 5' 8" and got hired with others around the same height and two girls that were around 5' 2". It can make ladders harder but confined space easier. The old place where I volunteered there was a career guy who was 5' 2". As long as you can do the job you'll be fine, but be prepared to be teased about it haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    I'm 5' 8" and got hired with others around the same height and two girls that were around 5' 2". It can make ladders harder but confined space easier. The old place where I volunteered there was a career guy who was 5' 2". As long as you can do the job you'll be fine, but be prepared to be teased about it haha.
    Angelo is a pusscake

Forum Member

There's nothing in the NFPA Physical that states a required minimum height. If there is, please correct me on that. If there is, it's not at 5 ft.

I stand at 5' 3", have been a volunteer for 10 years, a paid Firefighter for 4, and graduated top of my class at the Academy. I'm not bragging, I'm just telling you that it can be done.

It's really all about attitude. Sometimes short people are insecure, and this will show and affect you in an interview, not because you're short, but because you're insecure about it.

In my opinion, it's a myth that being smaller helps with dummy and hose drags. (maybe for confined space) I weigh 140 pounds...some of the dummies are almost twice my weight. Full gear alone, SCBA and turnout, weighs 50% of my body weight. It's all proportional. One who stands at 6' 4", 285 pounds, will not have to use as much effort dragging a 200 lb dummy as someone half their height and weight.(there are so many variables though, level of fitness being one of them)

What this does mean (and this goes for anyone with a smaller frame, short or not) is that you must work that much harder, during training, to be capable of such tasks. You have that responsibility, even if it means staying late, putting in extra hours at the gym, etc. Cardiovascular fitness included, not just strength training. It sounds kind of humorous, but it's true. Smaller stature is no excuse to NOT be able to perform necessary fireground tasks.
    Last edited by SVandro; 04-09-2012 at 07:46 PM.

I've served as a volunteer with guys from 5'2" up to 6'7". In 20 years, I've never thought, "That guy is too tall/short to do that."

Obviously there are limitations--I'm 6'4", and you throw a helmet on me I am probably 6'7". But I've been this tall my whole career, so I've never had to adapt to doing the same job at a greater height. Locking off on a ladder is a booger. Pulling ceilings is bunny.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Locking off on a ladder is a booger. Pulling ceilings is bunny.
    lol, you bring up a good point though...there may be a specific, one-time task on a fireground suited to a certain sized person, i.e. confined space vs. pulling a 20 ft ceiling. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with that, as long as one knows his or her limitations, and speaks up.

Forum Member

Go to an engine company. you'll be fine

Thread Information