Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question about what to do?

I apologize in advance this may be a little long winded and confusing.

My second favorite fire department just sent a letter to me for a final interview for a recruit class. This department had been on a hiring freeze since they established this current list and it was assumed it would last the length of the list. However, my wife and son and I are about to purchase what we would unequivocally call our dream house. The house is in the a great area with amazing schools and it's close to both of our families and friends. The city where the interview is is about 2 hours away but there is no residency requirement. The house is in the district for the department I work part time for. There is a strong chance they may internally hire for their next round of full timers. Also, my dream department, which I'm also on the list for, is the next city north of the house. The wife sounds willing to move but not excited about it. We have the most perfect daycare lady for our kid and we both love te house. I'm willing to commute but I say that now and don't know if that willingness will last the length of my career.

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for from the forum. Only I officially know what's best for me and the decision is ultimately up to me and the fam. It just felt good to write it out. Any suggestions or personal experiences would be nice. I apologize for any spelling errors. This was typed on my iPhone and it's a pain to go back an double check and there's no good spell check.

Forum Member

Well first you have to get hired or the offer for a slot

Until than and even at that point you do not have to decide

Would take a full time job where the first offer is

If two hours away commute, you only have to do it x amount of days a month, not five days a week

You may like it there and decide to keep the house and commute or eventually move closer

Or if it is the two hour job, put in at least a year if not more than start applying again closer in

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I understand its not completely an issue unless I got the offer, but with the final interview coming up I want to interview only if I know I want the job if offered. I feel like I would be wasting their time otherwise also wasting my own time because my interview probably won't go well if my heart is not 100% behind it. These decisions are a lot easier when your single.

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    If two hours away commute, you only have to do it x amount of days a month, not five days a week
    When I was a Federal FF, I worked the 24/24 schedule with a 135 mile one-way commute. I did a lot of shift trades so that I worked 72 straight and then had 3, 4 or 5 days off. This helped a lot with the commute thing.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

do not know where you are in the country , but jobs are hard to come by and firefighter jobs are even harder to get

the interview process will help you in the future, if you do not take this job

as you say it is a family decision, but do not think I would pass it up

MembersZone Subscriber

Well everything happens for a reason I guess.

I went to the interview for the department and it went well. They replied that they would conduct background checks and I would hear about my status in September. However, about a month later I got the letter from my dream department offering me a job pending a physical. I just completed the physical and am ready to start my career on my dream department on July 9th! Also, the deal on our house fell through but we wound up finding an even better house in the same city as my dream department about a 2 weeks later. We close on the house at the end of July. So i guess you could say everything worked out. Everything just happened so fast but I could not be more excited about how it turned out. Now I gotta start following the probie and career forums. Thanks for all the input!

Forum Member

congrats

so dream dept

how far is your commute??

now do better than your best!!!

and watch out during the probation period, stay straight!! on and off duty

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you! Definietely my dream department. Its the city I grew up in and have spent most of my life in so I feel a connection to the city unlike any other. When you're looking for a career department you apply everywhere and hope you get hired somewhere but its nice to get the badge on the department in a city you feel a strong bond to. Also its a great department strong department that gets a lot of work. And between having different members of the department as instructors in fire and EMS classes and running into them a lot at the ER while working for a private ambulance, I've always had very positive experiences with the members and it just seems like a great group of people to work with. Which I can't say about all the departments in my area.

I plan on giving my all and keeping my mouth closed and ears open and doing everything asked of me and more. I have to much pride in myself and my new career to not give my all. Its an 18 month probation period which is a beast but I'm ready for it.

The new commute will be anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on which firehouse I get placed at which is nice.

All of the older members on the forum trying to get the job my academy class should be an inspiration. There's 5 of us and I'm 31 and there's a 29 year old, a 35 year old, a 41 year old and a 44 year old. So there's still departments out there looking for those of us with some life experience under our belt.

Thread Information