Forum Member

Default Ladders????????????

Smaller height and build person tips?????

Does anyone heard or know where to find videos or articles on tips on throwing ladders especially the 24ft extension ladder one person. I have heard there are methods to do it easier for smaller build people (Short Height & Build smaller).
    If so please post.

Thanks

Forum Member

There was a method that a few guys used in my academy that were smaller. They called it the trombone method. When carrying the ladder high right shoulder. Have your right hand on the top beam. And with your left hand, grab the furthest rung out in front of you that you can reach. Preferably the fourth rung from the foot of the ladder. When raising the ladder, pull in and up on the rung with your left hand. This will make it a lot easier to raise the ladder.

Forum Member

If you foot it against a wall or building...you shouldn't have much trouble. Are you looking at this for an agility test type of deal or just for general knowledge?

Forum Member

Thanks for all the tips everyone. BigGriffC12 for both stand points.

ljm
    Forum Member

Forum Member

When you do a ladder raise, get down, grab the rung and raise the ladder. You have to use your momentum to push the ladder up, rung-by-rung as fast as you can. Use your foot around the spur foot of the ladder to help maintain balance. Move over to the fly extension and just do it with a slight lean toward the wall to maintain balance.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-08-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks everyone who's posted.All information is good. Only reason why I ask is because I was wondering how hard that procedure would be on a smaller build and height wise person.

Forum Member

I was just about to post this video as well...and just found out it's not there anymore! Sucks...the best ladder video on the web!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBox View Post

Does anyone heard or know where to find videos or articles on tips on throwing ladders especially the 24ft extension ladder one person. I have heard there are methods to do it easier for smaller build people (Short Height & Build smaller).
    If so please post.

Thanks
    Choke up on the ladder (high shoulder) and pop your hips when you stick it - walk the momentum into the vertical position.

We use 2 section 28's, which are 2' longer than a 24' when bedded. I'm only 5'8" and can stick it on pavement easily; we have several guys in the 5'5" range who can do the same as well.

It's all about technique...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    It's all about technique...
    Amen. It's not just strength. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip.

It's not just size. I witnessed a 5’ 1” fire lad who was 119 pounds blow through the CPAT leaving the staff shaking their heads.

Practice makes permanent.

Check in with your local area department and arrange to go by for a little coaching. What firefighter wouldn't want to puff out their chest showing his or her special techniques that got them their job or help on the fire ground. One of our candidates was losing sleep over the uncertainty of not being able to throw a ladder. These fears were put to rest after visiting a local fire department that showed the needed technique.

With ladder throws, it's gaining momentum and a continuous movement from beginning to end of the throw, using a pivot point and the weight of the ladder to your advantage.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Get out on the drill ground and commit to doing 30 reps of one man slams and I guarantee all your issues will be resolved and the appropriate technique will be developed.

Forum Member

New article and videos up today. Great stuff!

http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/20...-is-my-ladder/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    New article and videos up today. Great stuff!

http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/20...-is-my-ladder/
    That ladder should be fly out
    Last edited by Takethedoor174; 04-13-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBox View Post

If so please post.

Thanks
    How about this don't do it yourself get help there should be two ppl on an extension. As for that video it's worthless that A-h*le dosen't even have a tool with him so once the ladder is up he's worthless. Departments are cutting left and right with more ppl getting hurt and everyone wants to be a hero and do for with less. Use your heads out there and stay safe

ljm
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    That ladder should be fly out
    Other than quoting what you were taught...what's your rational as to why it should be fly out?

Reading that article (http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/20...-is-my-ladder/) gives many reasons as to why it might make MORE sense to throw it fly in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ljm View Post
    Other than quoting what you were taught...what's your rational as to why it should be fly out?

Reading that article (http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/20...-is-my-ladder/) gives many reasons as to why it might make MORE sense to throw it fly in.
    First thing, the halyard is now running down the front of the ladder which a tool or rope or saw you may be bringing up the ladder can get caught up on your way up the ladder. We all know that our gear and tools get caught on the strangest things its just one more obstacle to avoid. Also you may get caught up a bit easier in the halyard when leg locking off the ladder. Second, and this is just in my department and obviously would not apply to others, but we pre tie our halyards to the bottom rung and don't tie off the halyard so it would be loose and dangling off the front of the ladder.
    Last edited by Takethedoor174; 04-17-2012 at 09:19 PM.

ljm
    Forum Member

I can see the leg lock thing. Tools getting caught up in a rope that is running vertical as you are ascending or descending seems like a pretty low likelihood, but I can see it as more problematic if the halyard is not tied off like it would be in your case.

I personally believe those are fairly low risk factors, and would rather shoot the ladder directly to my objective and not have to think about rolling/spinning it once in place.

Thread Information