Forum Member

Default Denver Metro Departments

Evening,

My wife and I are considering moving to Colorado (I finally got my wife on board). I'm currently a full-time firefighter in the KC Metro. I'm also one test away from being a licensed paramedic. I'd like to work for a department in the Denver Metro, but would like some insight on the departments. I want to work for a department with 5+ stations and one with plenty of developmental opportunities. The two that peak my interest at this time are Denver and Colorado Springs, however, I noticed that Boulder, Lafayette, Littleton, Longmont, North Metro, Thornton, and Westminster all have 5+ stations as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, what are the odds of getting a job out there as a medic? I know having your medic license is considered your golden ticket in the KC Metro.

Thanks

Forum Member

Have you also looked into the Colorado Springs area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF8116 View Post
    I'd like to work for a department in the Denver Metro, but would like some insight on the departments. I want to work for a department with 5+ stations and one with plenty of developmental opportunities. The two that peak my interest at this time are Denver and Colorado Springs, however, I noticed that Boulder, Lafayette, Littleton, Longmont, North Metro, Thornton, and Westminster all have 5+ stations as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, what are the odds of getting a job out there as a medic? I know having your medic license is considered your golden ticket in the KC Metro.

Thanks
    Having your medic license would help for sure, but it's not always the golden ticket like other places around the states. Let me see if I can help though.

To start Denver Metro (Denver Fire Dept) doesn't have any paramedics-all are basic so it won't get you any further along with them. Don't get me wrong, it won't hurt, but it won't really help either. DFD just tested also, so you are in for a 1.5 year wait until the next testing.

Springs does have medics on all or most of their apparatus (I think 1 per apparatus). It would definitely help set you apart from the basics. Think they may be testing towards the end of the year. Don't quote me on that though. However transports are done by AMR, so the amount they need or are looking for might be limited. Again, it won't hurt to have it, but you may not get to use it as much as you want.

Three big ones that I didn't see you list are West Metro, South Metro and Aurora. The first two run medics on their apparatus and have in house transport (not sure about Aurora off hand with the transports). I think all would be great options for you. However your timing is less than ideal as both West Met and South Met just recently tested late last year and won't be testing again for 3 years in West Met's case and 2 years for South Met. I think Aurora tested about a year ago, so they should test in another year, but I saw rumblings on another thread about lateral testing for medics so check them out to see.

Don't have much info on the others though.

Hope this helps. Others may have more info or better info on the ones I touched on, but also the ones that I didn't. Good luck!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Have you taken the DRCOG? The next test is in June so sign up if you haven't already. Look at Arvada Fire - they are transitioning to do their own transports so they want medics. I think Arvada does the FIRETEAM test. Keep checking them because even if you missed the deadline it wouldn't surprise me if they hire again soon. Cunningham might still be accepting applications, but you might have to have Colorado fire certs...check it out though. Boulder, Littleton, Thornton, Westminster, Lafayette, N Metro all use the DRCOG. Boulder is BLS only but good opportunities for fire if you don't mind not using your paramedic. Lafayette, while only having one station (they were going to staff a second one - unsure on the progress) has a good paramedic program and they definitely favor medics - unless things have changed they do a written test that is based on firefighter and EMS knowledge - when I took it there were tons of people that failed - like there were over a hundred testing and 12 of us passed to get an interview, because I don't think they took it seriously, but I didn't have enough fire experience to make it through. Unfortunately, like yjbrody said, you just missed some good department hirings. Colorado Springs has been testing once per year, so it won't be too long of a wait for them. Aurora has lateral postings from time to time - they require firefighters to be paramedics - they have Rural Metro do the transports but Aurora Fire has medical control and rides in for ALS calls. Hope that helps a little. When do you plan on moving here?

Forum Member

I appreciate the replies and apologize for the late response. I'm looking at moving there within the next few months if possible. I'm hoping to land a job first. I didn't take the DRCOG this year and am looking at taking it in 2013. I also saw that Aurora does have a lateral firefighter position that I'm going to apply for. If you hear of any other departments, I'd appreciate the heads up. I'll keep checking their sites to look for any openings.

If anyone else has tested from out of state and landed a job, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Thread Information