Forum Member

Default Costs for Grant Writing

Good morning!

I was hoping I could get an idea of what the costs would be for a grant writer. Ideally, if those of you who have paid someone to write one of your AFG grants could let me know how much it cost, I would really appreciate it. Also, are there difference charges for the different grant programs (SAFER, FP+S, etc.)

If anyone could help me with this, please feel free to email me at hof1998@gmail.com.

I know that Kurt puts on a great program, but I was instructed to get some real dollar amounts for grant writers' fees before I am authorized to make a proposal for funding.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Forum Member

I'll send you an email also since this isn't the place for specifics on business-related stuff.

But in general since I actually get asked this alot, here are some generalities.

Fees range from a few hundred to a few thousand. Just because someone's low doesn't mean the quality isn't there, or that it is if they're charging a lot. I heard word through someone on the forums that a department near them spent $2k every year from 2002-2010 and finally asked them for help in 2011 and their narrative from 2010 still opened with the line "We are seeking assistance from the 2003 AFG..."

When you see someone's fees ask what that involves. If it's more expensive is that because they're going to travel to see you at your place. That takes time, costs money, fees will be higher but lots of folks like face to face. The travel costs have to come from somewhere, so when you expect that out of a writer they will of course recoup that through their fees.

Some only write narratives, some will do soup to nuts including paperwork prep/online entry. Do they help with project analysis or just write what you tell them to write for?

There's a lot more to it than just spitting out a narrative (in most cases) and as I mentioned the fees I've seen and I know of from the other writers that I'm friends with varies from a few hundred on up. I make recommendations to other writers that might charge more when someone asks for something we don't or can't do, like last minute travel for meetings. But if that's what the client is looking for then that's what they want. Grant writing is a business, that's how most of us make our primary living. But on the same token there are choices so work with someone that's going to work with you in the manner you want to be worked with. Now that doesn't mean they are just going to roll over and do everything you want. Lots of us turndown work every year because the project is such a long shot, like 100ft platforms for very rural areas. There's just no way that's competitive. One of the best compliments I've ever gotten is that someone said I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear. We deal in reality, so make sure whoever you choose to work with is asking the right questions to make sure that whatever application you create will be competitive.

Thread Information