Forum Member

Default Polygraph Question

I have a polygraph coming up in a week. I have nothing to hide and should pass with ease, except one question that may be asked. "Have you ever driven under the influence of alcohol or drugs?" I have never done drugs in my life. But about 2 months ago I was at the beach, I had a couple light drinks over about an hour. Mikes hard lemonade and a rum and coke. I am 175 lbs so I barely got a buzz. About 3 or 4 hours later, not being impaired I had moved my girlfriends car from one parking spot to another halfway down the road. I was not drunk or out of the norm but the alcohol was still probably in my system. I would not drive if I was impaired. If explained this same scenario in the pre polygraph interview could I get eliminated for this instance?

Forum Member

They arent looking for perfection, everybody has made mistakes along the way. Doesnt really matter though since the chance that you were even close to being over the legal limit to drive after 2 drinks and 3 or 4 hours, is slim to none.

You did not break any laws.

Forum Member

Should I still tell the proctor at the preinterview? I know I wasn't drunk so should I just answer no?

Forum Member

The simple answer is no.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Don't tell him?

Forum Member

Do you really want to take advice from someone who spelled "Captain" wrong on the cover of his own self-published book?

Name:  513RQSYPPVL._SS500_.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  35.7 KB

Just relax, answer the questions that are asked, and tell the truth.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Im just nervous, first hiring process for me. Don't wanna mess it up.

Forum Member

better than el capitan?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Do you really want to take advice from someone who spelled "Captain" wrong on the cover of his own self-published book?

Attachment 21977

Just relax, answer the questions that are asked, and tell the truth.

All dis times I thunk that was wright to
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmitherz View Post
    Should I still tell the proctor at the preinterview? I know I wasn't drunk so should I just answer no?
    If that's how they really phrase the question then no. It's not what they are looking for so you are just making waves when you didn't really do anything.

Definition of influence: under the influence, Law . less than drunk but with one's nervous system impaired: He was driving while under the influence.

You weren't impaired when you drove. I've taken the poly plenty of times and have passed them all by telling the truth. But I've learned along the way that there are things that they are looking for and things they are not. This is the latter *in my opinion*.

In the end, you want to be as relaxed and comfortable with your answers as possible despite what all of our opinions are. If saying no when he asks you this question is going to freak you out when you are hooked up, then bring it up in the pre-interview and make sure to thoroughly explain the circumstances.

By now I think the little voice inside your head is telling you how you should answer the question. Good luck, and try to relax.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

My advice is this, bear in mind I have never failed a polygraph or a voice stress analysis. Tell him the exact story in the pre interview. Here is why. You are worried about it and therefore this could very well screw you up. Telling him this will not fail you, but not telling him up front, and then telling him later on can fail you. Every polygraph is the same. They will ask you questions, sometimes the answers to those questions can fail you automatically (have you murdered someone? yes, you're out). Otherwise they are looking to see if you have lied to them at first and then later on came clean. For anyone who has taken a polygraph, they almost always will end the polygraph exam and tell you that you reacted to a certain question as you were lying. If you change your story at this point they will fail you for not telling the truth at the beginning. Tell him what happened in the pre interview, and it will not affect your test. You do not want to sit there and be worried about it the whole test.

Thread Information