Forum Member

Default Certiications looked for in a Lateral?

As stated, what certs are departments looking for when looking for a lateral?

Forum Member

Depends on the department. Usually it's at least two years of full time paid experience. As for certs, you'd need to look at where you're wanting to go.

Forum Member

Ya but when comparing applicants, what would make the dept. Choose one candidate over another??

Forum Member

You're looking for a cookie-cutter answer, and there isn't one.

The Dept is going to have requirements that candidates would have to meet. Then there is usually a list of "highly desired" but not "required" items. The more of those boxes that can be checked, the better said candidates odds are going to be.

There could also very well be an interview(s), an assesment center, EMS and/or Fire practical skills test, even a Physical Agility Test, all of which could be scored, and used to rank candidates.

When a lateral is posted for a specific FD, look at the posting, figure out how to meet/exceed the requirements, and go from there.

Forum Member

Cookie-cutter answer is exactly what I was looking for lol, and thank you very insightful reply and much appreciated! I got my 3 years in and am ready to get back home, just want to make sure I'm giving myself my best chances..

Forum Member

Entry-Level or Lateral the Same Skills Apply. You get the badge in the oral board interview.

Whether you’re applying for an entry level or lateral position you don’t want to waste any opportunities in this job market. If you’re applying for entry-level or lateral position you have start at square one.

The biggest problem I’ve seen on oral boards with entry-level and seasoned veterans take entry level or lateral tests is they can’t place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nosed rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board skills are rusty and antiquated. It’s hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

There is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you’re dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you’re applying for a probe job.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan are in place.

Your goal in a lateral test is to convince the panel you’re a good fit and match for their culture. They have to like you. You could be asked why you’re leaving your current department. You don’t want to bad mouth your current department. You can present that your current department has allowed you the education and experience so you can take this opportunity for the next step in your career.

Every job you’ve ever had you started at the bottom. You’re planning on doing the same thing for this position. You have seen the things new rookies have done to fail. You know what not to do. You’re coming over wanting to learn the job the right way.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information