Forum Member

Lightbulb Some questions for everyone

Hi my name is Noah and I am an Explorer in Manitou Springs, Colorado. I am working on a school research project (ten page) and would like to get some views on these questions.

1) What do you think the world would be like if firefighters were not around?

2) Should we focus on protecting houses in forested areas near a forest fire, but, allow the fire to burn a bit longer clearing away more underbrush that will become even more fuel if another fire were to come through?

3) Why do you think people believe that firefighters only put out fires when we do so much more?

4) Which one is a harder career forest fighting or structural firefighting/medical, or are they even?

PLEASE POST YOUR REPLIES TO THE QUESTIONS.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Honestly, I don't think this would be a problem. I think that the need for firefighters is so high (at least some of them) That there would never be a world without firefighters, or some type of alternative (i.e. fool-proof extinguishers, amazing sprinkler systems mandatory in all buildings, etc). But if something ever happend and somehow there were no fire prevention, or firefighters, I believe that property damage and life risk would be so high, that everyone would live in some form of a non-combustable building, such as concrete houses (Old mining towns such as "Concrete City, Nanticoke, PA").

2) Should we focus on protecting houses in forested areas near a forest fire, but, allow the fire to burn a bit longer clearing away more underbrush that will become even more fuel if another fire were to come through?
    At this point, with the general size of some of the forest fire's it seems to me like letting even more burn is not an option. Houses are still being threatened and lost, and lives are still being taken by these fire's. The techniques they use as forestry firefighters work, with the right manpower and timing. I don't think a strategy change would benefit them one bit.
    NOTE: I am not a wildfire firefighter. I have taken many wildfire classes, and realize the danger. I stick to burning buildings for a reason. This is an opinionated question, and I'm sure someone on this forum with wildfire experience can help you better.

3) Why do you think people believe that firefighters only put out fires when we do so much more?
    Because the amount of public education out there for the general population on firefighters. If the general public wanted to really know, they'd search forums, they'd google, they would ask questions, or stop in at a station. Sadly, no one cares anymore. All they care about, is that they keep getting donation papers in the mail (thus filling their garbage) and that if their house is on fire, we will save their cats. Or at least thats how it seems anyways. The general public would need some education before they could understand all of the little things we do to keep things civil sometimes. Sadly, they don't want to know, they don't care.

4) Which one is a harder career forest fighting or structural firefighting/medical, or are they even?
    This is a question that hopefully, everyone will agree cannot be answered. Both populations of firefighters must meet a certain physical standerd, both must meet a required level of training. And both have comparable situations. Maybe a forest firefighter does not have to climb a 35ft ground ladder with a 20ft roof ladder, a saw, a hook and a bar in their hands to the roof of a 30ft building, cut a hole, and bring it all back down, but man I'd hate to do some of the walking they do! Digging fire-lines for miles, etc. There are many things I'd really hate to do as a forest firefighter, but theres many things I'm sure they don't want to do that we do.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Very crispy

We should focus on building materials used in areas that are subject to forest or wildland interface fires. Stucco and cement board siding and tile, cement or steel roofing add fire resistance. Along with proper landscaping, we could greatly reduce danger to exposures.

Ignorant reporters and the media/Hollywood. And fire depts that fail to promote what they do is a distant third.

Depends on who's telling the story. They both have their risks, but kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

PLEASE POST YOUR REPLIES TO THE QUESTIONS.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information