Forum Member

Default Volunteer and seasonal wildland commitment?

I am looking into volunteering at a fire department, but am committed to a seasonal wild land firefighter job. I would be able to be fully committed to the volunteer department in the off season. I see this as possibly being an issue with a volunteer department, but I really think it would be good to boost my experience in the structural, EMS area through volunteering.

My question is- Are there any guys who are able to volunteer and still keep there seasonal fire job? Is this possible?

Thoughts/comments/ideas

Thanks
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 04-11-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Forum Member

I don't see how it would become a problem. I know if we had a guy that was very active and committed to our company in the spring, fall and winter, yet was away all summer, I wouldn't have a problem with it. As a volly, you may need to hand in your department owned items while your gone, but once your around for awhile, you'll be welcomed back with open arms.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Thanks for your input Piccoletti. That makes sense, I guess it might also depends on the department too.

MembersZone Subscriber

A key issue may well be your ability to meet a department's on-going requirements.

Then, again, it's possible you may get credit from the volunteer department for your wildland work/training, especially if there is known crossover.

Not to mention that you could well become a resource for that department.

Good luck with your efforts.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Inquire with your fire chief on this issue. Your fire chief would know what policies that may affect your membership.

One tradeoff that you may mention to your chief, is that your wildland firefighting training and experience would benefit your department.

In some FD's, the most active members are kept on the roster. It costs alot of money to equip (bunker gear, pager, etc.) a firefighter. If a member is inactive, they are dropped and a new member is added to the roster.

If you can convince your chief, that being absent for your seasonal wildland firefighter position, will ultimately benefit the FD, you can avoid being "dropped" from the roster.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input FIRE117 and tree68.

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked 3 seasons on a wildland crew and during that time I also volunteered for a local department during the off season.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ramseycl View Post
    I worked 3 seasons on a wildland crew and during that time I also volunteered for a local department during the off season.
    What do you do now?

Back In Black

We have all sorts of leave, including education, military, work, and maternity. We had two guys who worked as contractors in Iraq and came back to the VFD. Lastly, we had a guy go off and do seasonal wildland last year and come back. All good.

You would have to make up any mandatory training that you missed, but you'd be welcomed back.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by StrengthBuilder View Post
    What do you do now?
    I work as a 911 dispatcher and still volunteer firefighter/emt.
    Moving every 6 months for the wildland gig got hard on relationships so I decided to stay around home
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ramseycl View Post
    I work as a 911 dispatcher and still volunteer firefighter/emt.
    Moving every 6 months for the wildland gig got hard on relationships so I decided to stay around home
    Yeah understandable.

Thread Information