Thread: Need some help

Forum Member

Default Need some help

Currently the department I work for uses all fog nozzles. We are also an 1 3/4" high-rise pack department even though were a mid-size department with about 10 high rises and multiple other low rise and standpiped buildings. Anyways, myself and another firefighter are working on making some changes, one of those being switching to 2 1/2" for high rise and using smooth bore. I was able to borrow a 2.5 smooth bore with 1 1/8 tip from a distributor. Now the question is what kind of research/tests/training can we do with our current equipment vs. the smooth bore and 2.5 to help build our case??? We do not have any inline gauges or flowmeters in our department though we have access to a training tower with dry standpipe for training and what not. I think I know what were going to do but I was hoping maybe someone else has been in my shoes and can tell me what tests you ran to help build your case. Thanks

Forum Member

The easiest thing to do is search the internet and magazines like Firehouse and Fire Engineering for articles on high rise hose streams. I'd also look up NIOSH reports on LODD's of firefighters in high rises. That alone should provide you with plenty of data. There shouldn't be any need to reinvent the wheel. Once you get the justification, all you have to do is actually train on doing it. And you could probably contact another dept that would loan you some inline gauges.

Forum Member

Thanks. Unfortunately my department thinks that you must actually reinvent the wheel. I have presented a document based off of hours of research on the exact things you speak of just to find that it is not really important right now and is not on their agenda. I mean we dont even have a High-rise SOG at all right now. I think a lot of this has to do with the mentality of my department in that if it has not happened to us, then it probably wont. Why change something just because its what another department does or has had happen to them. Sounds crazy but this is actually a real fire department with these beliefs. I have heard it time and time again "those are just books, articles, reports, research etc. and this is the real world". How about having a younger fireman who you would think would be progressive tell you "we cant increase our flow standards to what NFPA recommends because what do they know, they are paper pushers". I will keep pushing the fact that others have found the evidence but in the mean time I will have to do it myself as well so that it is on our equipment in our city where that must mean fires burn differently.

Thread Information