Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ktb9780

Thread: Does my department stand a chance with AFG?

Forum Member

Default Does my department stand a chance with AFG?

Looking for some opinions from some guys that know way more about how the program works than me. We are looking at applying for SCBA's next time around, but I don't know if we even stand a chance.

Currently nine of our twelve packs are wire frames, built in the late 80's/early 90's. Three of them are aluminum frame and only two have RIT hookups. None of them have integrated PASS and none are newer than 2006. They are all 2216's and we are the only department left in our county that uses 2216's, everyone else is on 4500's. We rely on our neighboring departments to provide RIT at structure fires, and vice versa for them, so with us being the odd one out it makes it difficult.

We are an all volunteer department with 20 active FF's (all certified FF1 or higher). Here is our biggest drawback, we run 60-70 calls a year. That's Fire and EMS combined. We run about 30% Medical, 30% Brush/Grass Fires, 35% Structure Fires and calls that require BA, and 5% misc calls. So do we even stand a chance with that low call volume?

We haven't applied for three grant cycles now, but we've applied before and gotten turned down every time so I'm beginning to wonder if this is a fruitless venture for us. I don't want to put all the work in and find out we didn't stand a chance from the beginning.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!

I can assure you that you have a very good chance if you write it up correctly and express your need properly. If you were unsuccesful back three years ago I have news for you; the program has gotten more competitive and the application has changed considerably. You will need some help here no doubt.Why don't you give me a call this weekend at 863-551-9598 and I will be glad to discuss this further with you. I going to be around all weekend long so feel free to call when you get this. BTW- I am currently in the process of putting a grant writing training class in Iowa right now. Shouldl have details in a week or so.
    jhl81791123 likes this.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply ktb.

One thing I forgot to mention, We have upgraded all of our masks in the past 2 years so if we stick with the same manufacturer we could keep using our current masks and not have to purchase new. Would doing something like that help us?

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Thanks for the reply ktb.

One thing I forgot to mention, We have upgraded all of our masks in the past 2 years so if we stick with the same manufacturer we could keep using our current masks and not have to purchase new. Would doing something like that help us?

That would not be a factor for the SCBA grant. It might come into play for the "procurement" part if you were to get awarded but should not be a factor in applying for the grant.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thumbs up write it.

Hey there Marble Rock.

I think that you should be writing a grant every year and not give up. I totally agree with Kurt, in that you must absolutely tell your story as to why you have the NEED. If I recall it was 2002 standards for SCBA, and the other items you name sounds like you should be able to tell a good story. I am sure that you also provide MA to the neighboring departments as well. So that would be a 2-way need.

Take Kurt up on calling him. I have not missed since I first met him. No kidding! You should definitely attend his class. Attend it more than once. Go get 'em, but don't write it too good. I still want my grants funded
    Last edited by jhl81791123; 04-23-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thread Information