Forum Member

Default Volunteer experience not listed in application, can i use in interview?

I have applied for a firefighter position and I am approaching the interview. On the application I listed my previous paid work experience and was unable to list any volunteer experience unless I overlooked a small spot for it.

Since the volunteer experience was not listed on the application can I still use it in the interview or will they think since it is not listed on the application that perhaps I am loading them up with something fictional?

Forum Member

It is employment / job
    Even though you do not get paid

Somewhere i am sure you could have but it

Education
    Training
    Certification
    References
    See attached???

You need to bring it up sometime, hopefully before the interview is over

Forum Member

It was a generic city application with a spot for only three previous job spots so I even had to leave off other jobs and was told not to attach a resume (this was by the person I picked up the application paperwork from at the city, not anyone from the fire dept.)

I'll be sure to bring it up or try to at some point. I been practicing my interview questions and have been putting it in under what I have done to prepare for the position.

I just wanted to make sure I was still alright with using it and it wouldn't hurt me since it was not listed in the application.

Forum Member

Like fire5555 said, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't use that experience in the interview.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Agreed, mention it during the interview, but don't make to big of a deal about it at all.

As for putting it on the application, I always list my volunteer experience in the same blocks with my previous jobs. Just because you're not getting a paycheck doesn't mean it's not work experience.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

On any job application I have ever completed for anything to do with the fire service or related field, there is never enough room to cover all of your volly or previous career experience/training and certs. I always cover it by filling out the "previous experience" block with the following: "20+ years experience as a career/volunteer Firefighter/EMT; documentation of training & experience available upon request."

This covers all bases- you let them know that its there, you dont submit a novel (especially if they specifically state not to) and you leave it to them to request it- If they want it, they will.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

You seem to be confused that the things on your application are going to get you a job, and not listing them may cost you. This is not the case. Those things like jobs, schooling and volunteer work will come up in an oral interview. That is where you want to talk about them.

The application is just that, you are applying for the job. In fields where you are either hired or not based on the app., or a limited number are selected for interviews based on app info, you would want to find a way to get it all in. Not in this kind of job.

Just like oral interviews are far different if applying for an office job, or fire job, being concerned about the work history is different also.

In almost all interviews you will be asked in some form to tell them about your history, “What have you done to prepare for the job?”, “Give us your oral resume?”, “What have you done to prepare to be a firefighter here?”, etc. That is where you want to give all of your schooling, job experience and volunteer stuff.

If your volunteer experience is in the fire service and they require experience somewhere to apply, then you would want to put it down. But nothing on your application counts in your score in an interview, any more than things on a resume do, it has to come out of you mouth in the interview.

Also you will have to fill out a very extinsive background packet when offered a job, and there they want it all and you will have more than enough space to list it all.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Not so worried now that I know I will be fine and hope I nail the interview.

Thread Information