MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why the domestic grant money pool keeps shrinking!

I found this today in my morning email so I will apologize now for this rant but; are you kidding me? $75 million to Baghdad to “Broaden Participation through Civil Society”, are you serious? I mean can they not afford this on their own, ppppuuuulllleeeezzzze?

USAID
    Agency for International DevelopmentIraq USAID-Baghdad
    Broadening Participation through Civil Society (BPCS) Modification 1http://www07.grants.gov/search/searc...W&oppId=157433

This is a country that has 112 billion barrels of oil - the world's second largest proven reserves and also contains 110 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. We liberated them from a murderous tyrant and dictator and we are now enduring near $4.00 per gallon gas prices, record unemployment, pages upon pages of foreclosure/ bankruptcies being announced in our daily newspapers and yet we can afford to send $75 million dollars to a country that despises us! Something is drastically wrong here, drastically wrong and we need to stand up and say that enough is enough! Now excuse me while I go puke my breakfast.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 04-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

That's exactly why I opted out of the grants.gov email, way too much money going everywhere except in our borders. Call me a quitter but I just can't get that mad every morning.

Maybe we should start a grass roots effort to let everyone in the US know how much of THEIR $ goes out the door everyday. Trillion dollar deficit? I can fix that in about 1 month. Aids education in Africa, sorry, civic society in Bagdad sorry, Deforestation efforts in the Congo sorry.

This is such a shame I can't believe that one of the bigger networks hasn't reported on how much money gets thrown in the wind every year. I guess they are busier with the important stuff like Brad Pitt, Prince Henry and the Kardashians. Rant complete - back to work.

MembersZone Subscriber

...and the list goes on and on! I mean I get the idea of foreign aid and agree that for some things it is needed but, for crying out loud when your own country is teetering on the brink of economic chaos one has to wonder where the concept of taking care of one's own first, before taking care of someone else, has gone.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is my facebook post from last week...I wrote it so that people outside of the fire service could understand.

Let me say this before you read on: This is by NO MEANS a blast on our efforts overseas or my commitment to supporting our service men and women! This is not a debate about whether we should be in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. This is simply about some numbers I wanted to share about something I am passionate about.

9/11/2001: 2977 deaths
    Money spent on Iraq/Afghanistan Wars $1.3 Trillion and counting... (See link for counter)
    http://costofwar.com/en/

Average US Civilian Fire Deaths per year 2001-2010: 2984
    (This does not include the 100 firefighters on average killed annually in the line of duty)
    Money appropriated through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant 2001-2012: $8.005 Billion.

As you can see the civilian fire deaths in the U.S. continue to mount and the funding for programs to combat the US's fire problems are being cut every year. Over ten times as many people have been killed by fire in the U.S. than by Terrosist Attacks since 2001. The AFG Program has received less than 1% of funding of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars to combat a problem that continues to kill almost 3,000 U.S. Citizens annually!! To me, when you look at the value of a human life, the numbers don't add up.

My motivation for looking up these numbers came from reading the Fire Prevention and Safety Grant Program which is administered under AFG and is part of the $8.005 Billion in funding you see above. All U.S. fire departments, special interest groups, universities, etc are applying for the $35 million available for this program for FY2011. This money can be allocated for a variety of things such as smoke detectors, arson investigation equipment, codes enforcement, fire sprinkler awareness, etc.

I have a hard time understanding how we send billions, if not trillions of dollars overseas in foreign aide packages and for various other things every year and Congress doesn't bat an eye; however, funding to supplement the US Fire Service such as AFG, USFA, NFA, US Forest Service, are vigorously argued about among Congress men and women with the end result for all of the above agencies or programs being a reduction in funding year after year.

I understand the US needs to make spending cuts.....but lets start with our overseas spending and work from there.

Forum Member

That was why I liked Newt's one major point. In the one debate he said everyone needs to start with a $0 balance each year. Pakistan wants $3 billion in aid? Guess what, starting at $0 and give us a reason to send you $1 let alone $3bil. Can't come up with a reason? Guess you get nothing.

Also one of the reasons we didn't go back to one church we were looking at joining. Every aid thing they do is overseas, nothing domestic. There are people starving and that need clean water here. Just like the GDP, if we send more out than we bring back in we're going to create a hole. Everyone can create a non-profit for their passion and I know people like the Gates have their hearts in the right place trying to help people, but how about some of that funding they have in their foundation being used here for plain old education instead of being sent overseas. In more prosperous times I'm all about helping others out. But I'm for helping out, not handing out.

Forum Member

If you guys are just now learning of how much $$$ has been leaving this country in aid.....I'm a little worried. It has been going on for decades...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default We don't even have to look that far....

We don't even have to look as far as the foriegn aid....how many departments could have used the 822 grand the GSA spent on their Vegas bash? I realize most of the Federal workers are honest hard-working folks, but I'm guessing there is enough of that kind of waste in the Federal system to give our grant program one heck of a boost? Or am I wrong? Let's get together in Macau and discuss! lol
    Joe Fireman

Forum Member

Known about it all along Bones, problem is that the "average" US citizen doesn't pay attention until things go in the tank. When times are fat and happy no one cares, so unfortunately with times being leaner maybe we can get folks to pay attention.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones42 I've been singing this refrain for years and this is not the first time I have brought it up but as bc79er says, occasionally we need to remind ourselves that when it comes to finding places to "cut spending", maybe USAID needs to be relocated to the top of the list. My reason for bringing it up at this time was that a number of clients have indicated they are headed to Capitol Hill this week for CFSI Annual Conference and those going should be sure to drop this little tidbit into any open Congressional ear that they can bend for a few minutes.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Good deal. I honestly believed you guys knew...you are far to knowledgeable a group for that to happen.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

All true but in reality about as relevant to balancing the budget as the BS millonaires tax/Buffet plan. IT'S THE STATIST SPENDING STUPID

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    All true but in reality about as relevant to balancing the budget as the BS millonaires tax/Buffet plan. IT'S THE STATIST SPENDING STUPID
    HHMMH I didn't think I was referring to balancing the whole US budget, I just don't like seeing my tax money being spent on grants outside our country to people who despise us,when our own country has problems we could be fixing.

Now, if in your opinion that makes me "STUPID", well then I am just glad I live in country where you are allowed to express that opinion in a public forum.... but then again you know what they say about opinions don't you?
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information