Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truck Ops

Default Truck Ops

Driving a 2003 Pierce Skyboom, 65 foot straight laddered elevated master stream. I have been told several different angles of safely climb to preform rescue and use as a master stream. So here is what I have been told, 65, 70, 75 degrees. What advise do you truckies have about this issue?
    Be safe stay low and go home every tour.
    Jack
    Godspeed-Stay Safe.jack

25 Year Career Union Firefighter
    Local 1696
    ME115 - IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

First, I'd say the situation will dictate far more than what you can regarding the climbing angle for rescue. Trying to get your "truck" in close enough or spaced perfectly for climbing angle while hitting a rescue objective is not likely much of a reality. As for perfect climbing angle for an aerial master stream? There is none from a stick, the risks outweigh the rewards 99% of the time. Then if you still must know, see the answer to the rescue issue, and instead calculate collapse zones, the heat of the fire, the ability to get position, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dchomen View Post
    Driving a 2003 Pierce Skyboom, 65 foot straight laddered elevated master stream. I have been told several different angles of safely climb to preform rescue and use as a master stream. So here is what I have been told, 65, 70, 75 degrees. What advise do you truckies have about this issue?
    Be safe stay low and go home every tour.
    Jack

I would consult the dealer or the manufacturer for this information. The company made this truck and they would be the right place to ask this question.

Ladder pipes flow, gpm, dictates the angle and height of the aerial being used.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly what CaptOldTimer said is what I was gonna say.

For our Quint, as long as the weight has been transferred to the ladder box portion (drawing a blank on the technical term) of the rig as opposed to the tires then we can flow or set-up for rescue. You raise an interesting point because rescuing FFs could be different than rescuing an untrained civilians because of the angle. A flatter aerial ladder is easier to climb than a steep pitched aerial device.

Again, check with the manufacturer and check the Incline-o-meter that should be posted near the base of the ladder and the turntable your answer is probably written right there.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thank you for the advice, being an engine guy, this truckie stuff is all new. We have gone out put the stick up to practice on some of our target hazards, and of course the flater the easier it is to climb. Right you are positioning on a couple of three story hotels suites we found limited use from a 65 foot stick.
    Be safe brothers and go home every morning.
    Jack
    Godspeed-Stay Safe.jack

25 Year Career Union Firefighter
    Local 1696
    ME115 - IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by dchomen View Post
    Thank you for the advice, being an engine guy, this truckie stuff is all new. We have gone out put the stick up to practice on some of our target hazards, and of course the flater the easier it is to climb. Right you are positioning on a couple of three story hotels suites we found limited use from a 65 foot stick.
    Be safe brothers and go home every morning.
    Jack

Try to get the turn table as close to the building as you can. This will help with the reach.

I have seen 100 foot TDA's get close enough to a building that they made the 9th, 10th and even the 11th floor!! That was a higher angle than we normally use, but it was for rescue, which was achieved.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information